Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book recommendation request: San Patricio's Batallion

Options
  • 30-01-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have a recommendation of a good book to read about Irish involvement in the Mexican-American War of 1846?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Does anybody have a recommendation of a good book to read about Irish involvement in the Mexican-American War of 1846?

"The Rouges March -John Riley And The St. Patricks Battalion 1846-48" by Peter F. Stephens . he also wrote a brilliant book , which should be made into a film , " Voyage of the Catalpa- A Perilous Journey and Six Irish Rebels Escape To Freedom".

you may like to watch the film " One Mans Hero" staring Tom Berringer. its not a brilliant film but the only one on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I haven't seen this so I can't recommend it to you as such but it might be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 johnny_doyle2

currently on ebay :

Shamrock and Sword : The Saint Patrick's Battalion in the US-Mexican War

Robert R Miller - University of Oklahoma Press 1989 1st ed

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHAMROCK-SAINT-PATRICK-BATTALION-US-MEXICAN-WAR-DESERT_W0QQitemZ130345106520QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Books_NonFictionBooks_NonFictionBooks_SM?hash=item1e592c7c58

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Four articles on the San Patricio can be found in this article:

Wikipedia has a large number of sources in the references and no less than eight separate entries under 'Films and Fiction':

I'm nearly sure I read an article by Brian McGinn in the Irish Roots magazine years ago. At any rate, a search for McGinn and México has this potentially very valuable bibliography for you:

Beir bua!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just starting Rogues March but like R Dub Fusilier I'm suprised that Voyage of The Catalpa is relatively unheard of.

This is an absolutely cracking true story probably best book I've read in 10 years. I did see if anyone else had read it in lit section but got no reply.

In a similar vein the story of Bernardo O Higgins and wars of independance in Chile is a subject I intend to look at shortly,don,t know if their are any books available??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

pavb2 wrote: »
    Just starting Rogues March but like R Dub Fusilier I'm suprised that Voyage of The Catalpa is relatively unheard of.

This is an absolutely cracking true story probably best book I've read in 10 years. I did see if anyone else had read it in lit section but got no reply.

In a similar vein the story of Bernardo O Higgins and wars of independance in Chile is a subject I intend to look at shortly,don,t know if their are any books available??

again this is a brilliant book and much better than the book " Freemantle Mission" which is good in is own right as it covers the same Catalpa story.

there is a bronze bust in Merrion square , near the playground, of Bernardo O'Higgins. had to force my kids to have their picture taken beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Good subject to read up on by the way, they're lesser known in our history than others but just as valiant

Advertisement