Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French help

Options
  • 30-01-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm doing French and I'm good at the written stuff but I'm awful at the comprehension. Can someone please tell me how to get better at this? My French mock is in a week. What can I do to get better at French in this much time realisticaly in a week? I'm hoping for a B3 or a C1 or C2.

For the leaving I want a high B. Someone advise on how to get better? I'm terrible at verbs and forming sentences... I tend to learn off essays. I'm just so bad at verbs...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MaighEoAbu

fufureida wrote: »
    Ok so I'm doing French and I'm good at the written stuff but I'm awful at the comprehension. Can someone please tell me how to get better at this? My French mock is in a week. What can I do to get better at French in this much time realisticaly in a week? I'm hoping for a B3 or a C1 or C2.

For the leaving I want a high B. Someone advise on how to get better? I'm terrible at verbs and forming sentences... I tend to learn off essays. I'm just so bad at verbs...

What type of verbs? Irregular or regular?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Irregular and reflexive subjunctive I just don't get any of it...:( I'm starting to worry so much !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Yahooaccount

http://french.about.com/library/verb/bl-verbconjugator.htm

http://www.happychild.org.uk/freeway/french/index.htm

These websites are very helpful.

Some irregular verbs have a pattern to them.

Take venir, for example.

Je viens
    Tu viens
    Il/elle/on vient
    Nous venons
    Vous venez
    Ils/elles viennent

Same with Parvenir, appartenir, tenir, etc.

Most of them you just have to learn off though.

Don't worry about it though, it will all come to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fyounes

no no no !
    mentir
    je mens
    tu mens
    il ment
    nous mentons
    vous mentez
    ils mentent

If you could send a list of details on what you need I can help you
    I am French and live in paris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Learning off essays is the worst thing you can do in any exam. Its so dangerous. Its very obvious when someone hands up something the learned off and its actually something you can be penalized for.
    The problem is that this was happening a lot and so now, essay topics tend to be more specific, and if you go in, and skimp over the titles and decide what you learned off will fit the mould, you run the risk of answering a question that has little or no reference to what they are looking for. Just be very careful with that.

In terms of comprehensions... best thing to do is read the questions first. That will give you an overview of what the text is about. Many of the questions will be specific to a certain section of the text (they even tell you where the answer can be found). So having read the questions, read the question on section 1 again and then read paragraph 1. The answer will jump out from the page at you.

A lot of the questions can be answered using direct quotes from the text, but always, always, make it obvious you are quoting.. using " marks.
    At other times the question might ask ..
    'what was Miriam afraid of when she was alone in the house?'
    If you answer this question using a direct quote say for example"
    "J'avais l'impression qu'il y avail un autre personne chez nous"
    You will get 0!
    You'd have to write something like...
    Elle avait peur qu'elle n'etait pas seule dans la maison.

You need to know the grammar terminology... like preposituons, nouns, examples of pluparfait and all that. I believe the exam papers have a section that list all the terms you need to be familiar with. Those are simple marks once you know what each of the terms refer to so make sure you know those!

Also, simple I know, but where asked in French, answer in French. And where asked in English, answer in English. The last question tests this fact but you can use quotes in french to back up your points. Those final 10 marks are also the easiest marks to get, once you have the right technique and understand what they are asking.

The hardest part of the French exam is the listening comprehension. Get LOTS of practice with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

I like learning off stuff because even if I don't use it word for word I can ysuually get a little something from all of them and put it in. they r all my essays too. There is a glossary page im the exam papers with gramatocal terms. I dont get that at all. Also would learning linkong words be good to get good at french or like learning a couple of words a day?

What should I do if I can't even understand most of the French most of the sometimes? Like how can I get better at understanding comprehensions? What kind of vocabulary should I gear towards learning?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

fufureida wrote: »
    What should I do if I can't even understand most of the French most of the sometimes? Like how can I get better at understanding comprehensions? What kind of vocabulary should I gear towards learning?

Just from my own personal experience if you don't understand most of the french it's not the end of the world. When I did my french paper I found I didn't understand a good amount of it. Luckily what I did understand helped me to piece things together and come to logical conclusions.

If unsure use common sense as that can help in understanding. Most of the times you do not need to understand EVERY word on the page to answer the question. In the comprehensions you are told where to look so start there and try to decipher what's going on. If you can by no means fathom what's going on try and guess though this is definately a last resort to never leave the page blank.

Do learn link words because they can jazz up your formal letter a lot. If you are insisting on memorising things learn some sentences to jazz up your essays ie "Bien qu'il soit....."etc

Without being rude if you have been studying it's all up there go over verb conjugasions and verbs in general and apart from that there's not a whole lot you can do. You'd be surprised what'll come to you in the exam (I would advise you to read the whole paper first as your brain will get going and will make things easier)

I remember panicking a lot in french as my french was quite bad but having lived here for 2 years it's only now that it's at a good level. I think it's only people who have fluent french or who have visited the country from quite a young age will get the As and Bs. Don't stress do your best and good luck!!

:)

Advertisement