Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is if you integrate 1 over (100-v) you get -ln(100-v)

Options
  • 30-01-2010 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Why is if you integrate 1 over (100-v) you get -ln(100-v)
    I understand 1/x is ln(X) but why is the above a negative?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

If you don't get an answer here you should post in the Maths forum. It's been a while since I integrated so I can't answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ste234

Oh yeah, Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

[latex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{100-v}\,\, dv[/latex]

To integrate this, you use the fact that [latex]\int\frac{1}{x}[/latex] = ln|x| but you also have to remember that you divide by the derivative of x (in this case v). Remember, if you were differentiating, you would multiply by the derivative, so if you're intergrating, you divide.

Therefore
    [latex]ln(100-v).(-1)[/latex] as the derivative of -v is -1
    [latex]-ln(100-v)[/latex] (leaving it in this form would be fine)
    [latex]ln(\frac{1}{100-v})[/latex]

If you're still confused, go by this formula (not in the new tables!!)
    [latex]\displaystyle \int\frac{1}{ax+b}\,\, = \,\, \displaystyle \frac{1}{a}ln(ax+b)[/latex]

I hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ste234

That's perfect thank you. That helps a lot I could remember why it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

You can use a substitution as well which is how I prefer but it can take longer.

[latex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{100-v}\,\, dv[/latex]

Let [latex] {u}={100-v} [/latex]

Therefore[latex] \frac {du}{dv}={-1}[/latex] (differentiating both side with respect to v)

[latex]{du}={-dv} [/latex] (multiply both sides by dv}
    Substituting back into [latex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{100-v}\,\, dv[/latex]we get [latex]\displaystyle \int \frac{-1}{u}\,\, du[/latex] take out the -1 gives us [latex] -1 \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{u}\,\, du[/latex]

Integrating gives you [latex] {(-1)}{ln (u)} [/latex] and substituting back in for u gives us [latex] {-ln(100-v)} [/latex]

It's the same thing really I guess but sometimes I find it hard to do the way **Timbuk2** does and like to do a substitution when the questions get more difficult.

• Advertisement
Advertisement