Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saints view

Options
  • 30-01-2010 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

The below was written by a northampton saints rugby fan from his current visit to Limerick City and it really shows our city for what its worth, a great city:

Arriving in Limerick on the train from Dublin on Thursday there was already a fair smattering of Saints supporters in town already and by kick-off this number had swelled to well over a thousand. On O’Connell Street by Saturday morning just about every other person appeared to have Saints colours on.

Mix this in with a city that is Heineken Cup rugby mad and you have a fine blend. You could not get far in those Saints colours with a local stopping you to shake hands and talk about the game or a passing car tooting its horn with a wave from the driver and occupants. Limerick might get a bad press for unrelated matters but it has to be the friendliest place we have been in the Heineken and I would not let any of the scaremongers, most who have never been anywhere near the city, putting anyone off from going out in April. Yes there was a high profile incident in the city on Friday but as this involves two feuding families and ‘civilians’ are not involved then it should not worry you. In fact I felt far safer walking the streets of limerick, even in the early hours, than I have in some other places we have visited in the past.

We made one of the many Flannery’s bars our base for the weekend and were treated like old friends on every visit but on visiting another bar on Thursday evening the first person that approached us had a bible in his hand. I thought oh no someone is trying to convert us but no it a guy of around 80 informing us his son had managed to secure him a ticket (as many others had) from the Saints allocation. He said he was just off to mass and he would say a prayer for us in gratitude. I jokingly said can you ask the big man upstairs for at least a bonus point. Half an hour later he was back informing said prayer was performed and how it all panned out it seems that God might move in mysterious ways after all.

At the game itself there were more handshakes, pats on the back and shared drinks and singing long into the night. Shirts and other bit and pieces were exchanged, I somehow came home with an eight foot square Munster flag and there were more than a few sore heads around town the following morning.

On reflection however for our group of around ten or so friends the best part of the weekend was on the Saturday evening. Opting to go and watch the UL Bohemians v Shannon RFC game in the peasouper fog at Thomond Park in the afternoon we found ourselves in the Curragower bar on the banks of the Shannon river watching the London Irish v Leinster game joined by a few of the Bohemians crowd. Now Leinster and Munster are the fiercest of rivals but as the game progressed with its many twists and turns as the banter built up just about everyone in the bar, including it has to be said at least one employee of Munster Rugby, switched allegiances and began cheering for Saints best option. When the deciding drop goal went over the whole place erupted and when the final whistle went as all of us Northampton followers sat there shell shocked at our great escape all the locals burst into a spontaneous round of ‘When the Saints go marching in’. A truly great night that again went on longer than the night before.

So now all we have to do is do it all again in April. Demand is sure to be great and as I rebooked my room for the return on leaving on Monday the hotel had already fielded a lot of requests for accommodation so do not leave it late. We might pray for a different result in the rugby but if the social side is anything like we experienced last weekend I cannot wait to get back. April cannot come soon enough.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

A group from work went to the away fixture in Northampton and a more decent buch of supporters you couldn't meet, from a supporters pov it was without doubt the best away game that I've been to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I was at that away game too and would totally agree with you phog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Careful there McLove

They will be accusing you of writing all that yourself any second now..............

:rolleyes:

Liam79 wrote: »
    Careful there McLove

They will be accusing you of writing all that yourself any second now..............

I guess not Liam :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Liam79 wrote: »
    Careful there McLove

Nah, this sounds genuine:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

This sounds about as genuine as McDonalds Salads.
    Pretty sad and pathetic Mclovin.
    I am a little embarrassed for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hi Liam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Aidric wrote: »
    Hi Liam.

Hi Aidric.....??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Now I remember why I stopped posting in here as much.

I dont know, maybe I am wrong. Just seems a little strange that OP claims to have lifted this from a Northampton website, but when you type the first line into google, its links straight to here. And no link anywhere to a Northampton Rugby Site of any kind....hey maybe the OP is just transcribing a letter he recieved....or maybe he wrote it himself. :o

But hey, who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

I dont know, maybe I am wrong. Just seems a little strange that OP claims to have lifted this from a Northampton website, but when you type the first line into google, its links straight to here. And no link anywhere to a Northampton Rugby Site of any kind....hey maybe the OP is just transcribing a letter he recieved....or maybe he wrote it himself. :o

But hey, who knows.

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/main/s99/st153543.htm

Apologies to the OP:o

Hands up on this one. Didnt believe it whatsoever.

Apologies McLovin. I wont be a doubter anymore.

I consider myself well spanked.

Apologies to the OP:o

Hands up on this one. Didnt believe it whatsoever.

Apologies McLovin. I wont be a doubter anymore.

I consider myself well spanked.

Yep I am no Liam! :D And get the name right Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rorymagory

I have it on good authority that this McLove character is a local journalist.

rorymagory wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that this McLove character is a local journalist.

I wish - I also have it on good authority that rorymagory is a known terrorist with links to Dr. Evil

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yep I am no Liam! :D And get the name right Pete
    You should change it to McLovin :D

Why? I had the nickname before Superbad came out. Mc Lovin is stupid

Mc Love wrote: »
    Why? I had the nickname before Superbad came out. Mc Lovin is stupid
    You don't like McLovin? Fcuk my life

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It was on RTE last night. Hillarious flick.

Aidric wrote: »
    It was on RTE last night. Hillarious flick.
    Were you one of the 8% of kids who had this problem?

• Advertisement
Advertisement