Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy neighbours!!

Options
  • 30-01-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Okay, move this if it fits elsewhere but I'm looking for local advice and suggestions of places to contact if needs be..

Story: 5 of us, all postgrads on the final stretch of our 2years, moved into a house in an estate on the westside of the city; I'm from Galway myself, so knew to avoid Glendara etc so this estate appears nice, few families and everyone bar one or two keeps their houses/gardens neat and tidy.

Live in a semi-d, the neighbours appear to be in their twenties; one of the lads in the house is our landlord's son; he owns the two. Whilst we don't mind them having a bit of a party at the weekend, and a bit of music etc, last night was the second weekend in a row where the arty continued until 7 am :eek:

I think they have a set of decks, and play that sh-te dance music (no offence dance heads but at 5 am, c'mon) FULL BLAST. At one stage we think they'e were actually kicking the walls. Running about outside screeching and revving cars, they were most def drink driving. The girls in my house rang the guards (afraid to confront them as they were well hammered and also afraid of confronting hammered lads) and the guards said they'd send a car (but they didn't, I wasn't surprised by this) and to ring the dept of the environment (at 5am, brilliant).

As I said, e;re not against parties and having a laugh, but reviving cars, drink driving and blaring music from 12-7am is a bit much, don't you think? I half think the son thinks he can get away with it because his Dad's the landlord...

Advice appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Thats way over the top at that hour of the morning.
    Best approach I think would be to go to your local garda station and ask to speak to somebody about this and make a formal complaint there. The gardai will have to do something about it even if its just to call and give a warning over the noise levels. Has anybody else in the estate complained.
    Nobody minds anyone having a party or playing music within reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Absolutely Steph, I honestly don't mind being reasonable..

The bold part fo me went vacuuming my car early this afternoon when they were in bed and having some accompanying music and chatting to neighbours pleasantly..all within reason for a saturday afternoon methinks... :D

All joking aside tho, I'm not wanting to get involved in a tit for tat situation but not sure if I should say it to the landlord first? Would they know it was us if we made a complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

last night was the second weekend in a row where the arty continued until 7 am
    Advice appreciated..

Take away their paint brushes..

Well maybe say it to the landlord and see if anything is done about it but if it continues on I would not hesitate going to the garda station. And see if any other neighbours have anything to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed, start by email to the dad/landlord (so there's a copy stored) and tell him you're all thinking of moving out unless the noise stops, feel free to include the drink driving part.

Once you put economical pressure on the landlord he should sort the son & mates out pretty quick. They're just young and stupid but hopefully a stern talking to will sort it.

Moved to Accommodation is case others have same issues in their regions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

call the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Has this happened before or was this the first time? Before you complain to the landlord, get a notebook and keep a record of times and dates of these types of incident, in addition to all the details - ex - loud music, revving cards, kicking walls, etc. If possible, get a recording of the noise and having a photo/recording of the drink driving (with a date on the recording, if possible). That way you have evidence that you're not just making it up or complaining unnecessarily.

I would definitely write to the landlord informing him of what's happening and that you are all considering moving if this is going to carry on. Echoing what's been said before, report the incident to the guards. If the people in question are drink driving, how long is it before somebody gets seriously injured, or worse?

If it does happen again, call the guards, but make sure you're somewhere in the house where the noise can be heard over the phone - it may encourage them to do something about it if they can hear the excessively loud music/cars screeching (though probably not!)

It has happened before, and also the landlord is an agent, and the house has been vacant for a while I think so I guess he isn't too bothered; we got no fixed lease too which suited us but now maybe we know why

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Okay, move this if it fits elsewhere but I'm looking for local advice and suggestions of places to contact if needs be..

Story: 5 of us, all postgrads on the final stretch of our 2years, moved into a house in an estate on the westside of the city; I'm from Galway myself, so knew to avoid Glendara etc so this estate appears nice, few families and everyone bar one or two keeps their houses/gardens neat and tidy.

Live in a semi-d, the neighbours appear to be in their twenties; one of the lads in the house is our landlord's son; he owns the two. Whilst we don't mind them having a bit of a party at the weekend, and a bit of music etc, last night was the second weekend in a row where the arty continued until 7 am :eek:

I think they have a set of decks, and play that sh-te dance music (no offence dance heads but at 5 am, c'mon) FULL BLAST. At one stage we think they'e were actually kicking the walls. Running about outside screeching and revving cars, they were most def drink driving. The girls in my house rang the guards (afraid to confront them as they were well hammered and also afraid of confronting hammered lads) and the guards said they'd send a car (but they didn't, I wasn't surprised by this) and to ring the dept of the environment (at 5am, brilliant).

As I said, e;re not against parties and having a laugh, but reviving cars, drink driving and blaring music from 12-7am is a bit much, don't you think? I half think the son thinks he can get away with it because his Dad's the landlord...

Advice appreciated..

if you can't beat em join em. they should have invited ye to the party. the weekend would not bother me as I am out and about anyway

the guards can do nothing as your neighbours are not really breaking any laws (we live in a very liberal country).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

convert wrote: »
    Has this happened before or was this the first time? Before you complain to the landlord, get a notebook and keep a record of times and dates of these types of incident, in addition to all the details - ex - loud music, revving cards, kicking walls, etc. If possible, get a recording of the noise and having a photo/recording of the drink driving (with a date on the recording, if possible). That way you have evidence that you're not just making it up or complaining unnecessarily.

I would definitely write to the landlord informing him of what's happening and that you are all considering moving if this is going to carry on. Echoing what's been said before, report the incident to the guards. If the people in question are drink driving, how long is it before somebody gets seriously injured, or worse?

If it does happen again, call the guards, but make sure you're somewhere in the house where the noise can be heard over the phone - it may encourage them to do something about it if they can hear the excessively loud music/cars screeching (though probably not!)

landlord generally don't give a ****e so long as money is coming in.

yours is a common problem. as forementioned the police can do nothing unless there is a law against this kind of thing, which there is not.

move out or tell the landlord that you, as in several of you are moving out an dthen he will have to do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Garda won't be interested in the noise until its being made outside. they will however be interested in drink driving and general larking in public.

The council and the landlord can deal with the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Victor wrote: »
    The Garda won't be interested in the noise until its being made outside. they will however be interested in drink driving and general larking in public.

The council and the landlord can deal with the noise.

I've rang the guards about noise coming from next door before, they were only too happy to check it out, and the noise stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

We are having issues which I have posted about previously and I have had serious issues today. I have called the police twice today and surprise surprise noone bothers their ar$e to turn up. So what happens, do they wait until there is a serious injury before they act?

What a joke. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

OP
    You are in a better position than you think: you should get on to your landlord and inform him of the racket his twat of a son is making. this will be the best way to apply leverage. i would be surprised if he did nothing about it.

forget about the guards: they are next to useless when it comes to noise issues.
    if ye indicate subtly or otherwise ye intend to move out i doubt he will want to see 5 rents go- if he has any sense.

Well I'm sure the landlord is not anxious to be without tenants especially now with the way things are in the economy. No landlord wants empty properties not earning a cent.
    However this type of behaviour cannot be condoned. Maybe a lot of young people are living in the estate and pay no heed but say for instance there were families with young babies this type of behaviour is not on and also for elderly people.

Right, thanks everyone, just an update. As I prob didn't clarify, the guy who is renting us the house and rents the one next door (to his son) is the agent so I imagine the technical landlord has no idea, and don't even know if he is around.

Music going full blast now (an aside, but they have seriously bad music tastes, even if they are trying to antagonize us!! It's that middle of the road crap) but it's only half ten so I'll leave it till midnight. I can make out the words, currently. I'm in the attic room so adjacent to the room the music is in, I think..

Thanks for yer suggestions, we are just 5 postgrads trying to get work done in the eve and being forcing to listen to Tracey Chapman and Leona Lewis doesn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Did you ring the DOE (or the council?) like the cops told ya? They can install a soundmeter which will be used as evidence in the court case which DOE will undertake. You are prefectly entitled to your peace and I would take a case against the chaps for any losses incurred due to moving.
    Have you spoken to these chaps in the cold light of day?
    I had a similar situation and talking to the guys did SFA, I began a series of complaints with the neighbours, guards, the estate agent and my landlord. Eventually they had to come to and apologise and were good little boys.

Also you can be thrown out of a council house for this kind of behaviour too... just FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

It has happened before, and also the landlord is an agent, and the house has been vacant for a while I think so I guess he isn't too bothered; we got no fixed lease too which suited us but now maybe we know why
    No fixed lease? Suits you sir. Why on earth would you be bothered with trying to sort this out? Especially since it is the landlords son. Pack your bags and move out. Problem solved.

No fixed lease was offered, but then we signed to 4 months as we are doing our dissertations and cannot sat for certain how long we will be around; one or two might go home in march, and anyways it was impossible to get anywhere with less then 6 months lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

No fixed lease was offered, but then we signed to 4 months as we are doing our dissertations and cannot sat for certain how long we will be around; one or two might go home in march, and anyways it was impossible to get anywhere with less then 6 months lease.
    Does your contract say you have to put up with his sons techno parties every weekend? I don't think so. Give him notice, ask for your deposit back and if he refuses then take it back by not paying your last months rent.

If you don't want to go that route then I would make a habit of calling your landlord everytime his son is having a party. Hold the phone up and let him listen. A few calls at 2am and I'm sure he'll have a word with his son over it.

whatever you do be aggressive about it. You don't have to put up with this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

steph1 wrote: »
    Thats way over the top at that hour of the morning.
    Best approach I think would be to go to your local garda station and ask to speak to somebody about this and make a formal complaint there. The gardai will have to do something about it even if its just to call and give a warning over the noise levels. Has anybody else in the estate complained.
    Nobody minds anyone having a party or playing music within reason.

Sorry Steph, but that is quite useless advice, from personal experience the Garda have ABSOLUTELY NO POWER with regards to this type of nuisance, they CAN call to the person, but have NO power to enforce or even ask them to turn down the music.

Having a lot (5 years of experience in this, calling Garda every wknd who were sympathetic but unable to do anything for us) I would advise OP, if they are renting to move on, the landlord may be very sympathetic and even chastise his son, but bear in mind you have to live next to him and he could quite easily make your life hell, without the parties at strange times... although I could be wrong and he might not even realise that he has caused you distress. But approaching the landlord/garda I feel would be a pointless exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I assume that there are owner occupiers in the estate?? UCG have become very proactive about not tolerating bad behaviour from their students(as it gives UCG a bad name) because of bad problems during semester 1. If the people next door to you are students then the university will have that address down as their term-time address, will be able to identify all occupants of the house attending the university, and will be able to issue them with a warning. The university may also have the actual landlords details and may be able to contact him/her directlynd explain the situation.

A situation similar to this happened where I live last semester. The house was complained to the University, Uni got involved and the net result was that the student occupants were evicted. A lot of what they were doing was similar to what you are experiencing; but on a grander scale.

Anyway, it might be something worth looking into. Admissions is who you need to contact I think.

bernyh wrote: »
    Sorry Steph, but that is quite useless advice, from personal experience the Garda have ABSOLUTELY NO POWER with regards to this type of nuisance, they CAN call to the person, but have NO power to enforce or even ask them to turn down the music.

Having a lot (5 years of experience in this, calling Garda every wknd who were sympathetic but unable to do anything for us) I would advise OP, if they are renting to move on, the landlord may be very sympathetic and even chastise his son, but bear in mind you have to live next to him and he could quite easily make your life hell, without the parties at strange times... although I could be wrong and he might not even realise that he has caused you distress. But approaching the landlord/garda I feel would be a pointless exercise.

The guards can help and I am getting a good bit of help from guards in relation to a complaint I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

angel01 wrote: »
    The guards can help and I am getting a good bit of help from guards in relation to a complaint I have.

Please tell me where you are in the country and EXACTLY HOW the gards are helping you, because we have been putting up with our noisy neighbours for 5 years and no help from the gards, very sympathetic, but no help!

bernyh wrote: »
    Please tell me where you are in the country and EXACTLY HOW the gards are helping you, because we have been putting up with our noisy neighbours for 5 years and no help from the gards, very sympathetic, but no help!

I am in Dublin, I will send you a pm :)

We all woke in a panic around 3.50am thinking someone had broken into the house...banging our door incredibly loud..the girl downstairs thought she heard someone come round the back and say 'for f sake'. By the time we all gathered ourselves (all really shook I have to say we thought someone was about to burst in or something) it had stopped and music started next door. It is now 5.20am and I have a recording from my room of shouting and music (terrible taste,an aside i know, but I have heard the lighthouse family and tracey chapman over and over). A car pulled up outside and one of the lads went out and it seemed like an exchange of something went on but they were gone again in a flash so no point ringing the guards. No point ringing the guards full stop because it is the college rag week this week so not a hope of anything being done. Ill be leaving a voicemail on the landlords phone in the morn, contacting the DOE on monday and getting up early tomorrow to play some music nice and loud. Great. Dance hits 1990 has come on. I cant go out as they are drunk and there is no way I am putting myself at risk. Sorry for the rant but I am at wits end and still shaky from the banging earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Jesus, that's terrible.

May I suggest the sound of music soundtrack played this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Sorry to hear that Ladypennyworth.... you gotta move out of there as soon as you can. Take it up with the "landlord" that his apartment is not suitable for human habitation.
    Make a fuss about it of course, but ultimately your "landlord" will be losing money because of them, rather than you loosing sleep.

Playing an old ministry of sound cd I found form my younger and less sensible days. chap next door drove off this morn so not sure who is in there but don;t care. Really annoyed. The banging on the door really shook all of us, it felt like someone was actually in the house.
    Confident there was 'dealings' going on also.
    Thanks for support, was struggling last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Download the song 'popcorn' by Hot Butter. Get the biggest speakers you can and aim them at the wall separating your house from theirs. Put the song on repeat at high volume, and go out for a few hours. Preferably do this when you know they'll be trying to sleep. Sunday lunchtime, for example.

I know it's childish and two wrongs don't make a right but....myself and my flatmate tried it before and it really works.

Advertisement