Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy neighbours!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

eth0_ wrote: »
    Download the song 'popcorn' by Hot Butter. Get the biggest speakers you can and aim them at the wall separating your house from theirs. Put the song on repeat at high volume, and go out for a few hours. Preferably do this when you know they'll be trying to sleep. Sunday lunchtime, for example.

I know it's childish and two wrongs don't make a right but....myself and my flatmate tried it before and it really works.
    Nice!.

I might just build on that idea. Download all versions of 'popcorn' and play a few of the most irritating on a repeat playlist.

http://www.popcorn-song.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

We all woke in a panic around 3.50am thinking someone had broken into the house...banging our door incredibly loud..the girl downstairs thought she heard someone come round the back and say 'for f sake'. By the time we all gathered ourselves (all really shook I have to say we thought someone was about to burst in or something) it had stopped and music started next door. It is now 5.20am and I have a recording from my room of shouting and music (terrible taste,an aside i know, but I have heard the lighthouse family and tracey chapman over and over). A car pulled up outside and one of the lads went out and it seemed like an exchange of something went on but they were gone again in a flash so no point ringing the guards. No point ringing the guards full stop because it is the college rag week this week so not a hope of anything being done. Ill be leaving a voicemail on the landlords phone in the morn, contacting the DOE on monday and getting up early tomorrow to play some music nice and loud. Great. Dance hits 1990 has come on. I cant go out as they are drunk and there is no way I am putting myself at risk. Sorry for the rant but I am at wits end and still shaky from the banging earlier.

You poor thing :( I hope you can get out of there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

How did I not think of that song before. I am waiting for them to return back to the house so I can put on some base heavy tunes.
    Reality struck us this morn, fact was we all felt under threat, they were round out back of our house outside where one of the girls sleep and banging at 4am. No wonder we were shaken!

To those who suggest moving; we are only here for another few months (almost finished masters); we need somewhere handy and reasonable. As I said we are in a nice estate it's just these tools wrecking it. And anyways we shouldn't have to move just because some eegit thinks it's okay to play techno at 4am, equates the more you rev a car to how hot you are, and does dodgy deals (while shirtless!) at 5.30am...

We have a nice house, good price for it and good location, and don't want to be in fear going to sleep. We have that right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Towelie_6971

i have the same problem with neighbours, music, house partys, the works.
    i know where your coming from and it is extremely head wrecking, paying for somewhere and not having peace in your own home.
    i know you've heard this suggestion before but i would push speakers up to the walls ( prob around mid day when they're nice and asleep) and wake them up with a nice helping of motorheads ace of spades. wouldn't be pleasent with a hangover :D:D:D

Once I got the police involved, things improved a lot, keep on at the police, speak to your community police, stress how bad this is, don't let them win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

angel01 wrote: »
    Once I got the police involved, things improved a lot, keep on at the police, speak to your community police, stress how bad this is, don't let them win.
    Loud music and parties are a civil matter but if they are banging on doors and being disorderly in public you can involve the Gardai.

Loud music and parties are a civil matter but if they are banging on doors and being disorderly in public you can involve the Gardai.

Exactly, by the time we woke and realised what was going on, it stopped. They were technically trespassing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Have you spoken to your landlord about it? It's possible he's not aware of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Report the trespassing to the guards and the landlord. Then should there be further issues in the future, then at least they will have a record of you making a formal complaint against these 'people'. I'd also say that you all felt extremely threatened and feared for your safety. Don't hesitate on highlighting how insecure you all felt.

Have you been keeping a record of all the incidents? Times, dates, what happened, etc. If you have, I'd also give the guards and landlord a copy of the incidents you've recorded already.

You should feel safe in your own home, and shouldn't have to put up with what's going on next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭KaiserMc

Op..if your going down the 'they make noise ' 'we make noise' route i suggest the following song..which i have used in a similar circumstances to your own with the tenants that were living above our apartment.They liked to play music late into the night so we began to play this early in the morning....And it worked..they saw the humour in it and calmed down a bit.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone! rang the landlord and left a message, just said how shook we were and we need this to be addressed urgently. Understand it is rag week and all but 4am-7am is not cool, and trespassing in our garden, and banging our door repeatedly..there are scuff marks on it where it was kicked also. Should have rang the guards, fair enough but our heads were in pure shock and fear last night we didn't really know what to do and they hadn't come out the times before, just said to ring the Dept of Env.

Went with 'All That Jazz' for the Chicago soundtrack on repeat this morn for a while and then stuck on that basey ministry of sound. I love Talking Heads!

How are things now?

Grand again. It's not every night, but even when it's once a week, it's LOUD. I left a message on landlord's phone on Saturday, no word back yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

For anyone who's interested, I've just heard that this issue will be discussed on Joe Duffy's radio show this afternoon. Apparently it's going to focus on solutions to the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

bernyh wrote: »
    Please tell me where you are in the country and EXACTLY HOW the gards are helping you, because we have been putting up with our noisy neighbours for 5 years and no help from the gards, very sympathetic, but no help!

I had the tenant from hell downstairs about 9 or 10 years ago. Was a 19th C conversion in Rathmines - was lovely before Sandra the Slapper moved in but it rapidly became pure hell. Like you say, parties every single weekend, starting at 1am, going on at nightclub volumes until 10am the following day. It finally reached a peak of being practically 24x7 for about 2 weeks around Christmas. There was other crap too - like huge fights with her boyfriend (who left) somebodies dog being abandoned out the back etc etc.

Gardai said there was no criminal law being broken and they wouldn't interfere. Landlord asked her to stop 3 times and then eventually she started accusing me of victimising her.

Thing is right, people who are so inconsiderate about other peoples lives are always eventually inconsiderate about paying the rent. She eventually got evicted owing two months back rent and about 2000 pounds of unpaid bills - gas, electrics, tv rental bill etc - all left behind. By the way Slapper was on the dole (this was around 2001) and was getting rent allowance to cover the rent. Apparently she didn't turn up to 5 different Fas/Social welfare interviews and they cut off her dole as she was just making a joke of them.

Go to your landlord first, if nothing is fixed, then try PRTB but from what I hear this is slow at present. Move out if the complaint to the landlord doesn't change things, if you are worried about deposit don't pay the last months rent.

Advertisement