Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE tv schedules in the 80s and 90s

Options
  • 30-01-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey,

Anyone out there remember any parts of the seasonal tv schedules for RTE1 and Network 2 in the eighties and (early) nineties????

For instance, I remember "Dallas" being on RTE 1 on a Sunday night after the news etc.

The reason I'm asking is that I've scoured the internet and found no history of the schedules. I've also checked ebay for old RTE guides available, and there is only a few being auctioned for 1992...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Not really old enough to remember too much now, but I do have vague recollections of a Sunday night routine of watching Theresa Lowe on Where in the World, followed by Glenroe. That was the 90's I think. Also Italian Serie A football on a Monday night always impressed the young Reg, mainly cos Maradona was playing.. Talkabout with Alan Hughes on a Saturday evening around tea-time. Mailbag with Arthur Murphy was on earlier in the day of a Saturday. Should be enough there to get us started!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Dallas was definately on a sat night me thinks! Used to always fall asleep watching it but i was only about 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yeah AFAIK Dallas was on Saturday nights followed by Saturday Live/Kenny Live.
    :o

Six News
    Garda Patrol
    Mail Bag
    Star Trek/Mission Impossible
    Secrets
    News
    Dallas
    Kenny Live
    :o:o:o:o

Above from memory but just to verify

http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/listing-798.html

More old listings
    http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/?id=6:ca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Doctor Zaius

Not really old enough to remember too much now, but I do have vague recollections of a Sunday night routine of watching Theresa Lowe on Where in the World, followed by Glenroe. That was the 90's I think. Also Italian Serie A football on a Monday night always impressed the young Reg, mainly cos Maradona was playing..

I remember the above as well. Reg, you might enjoy this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKtxDjTaUh0 intro to Football Italia!!

Also remember Know your Sport with George Hamilton and Jimmy Magee being on a Monday night at 7 or 7.30pm and Play the Game, that charades thing with Ronan Collins, Derek Davis and Twink, i recall it being on a Thursday. could be wrong.

and of course the End, late night on Friday and Saturday on Network 2. Loved the Critic. Was No Disco on a Wednesday night?

Benson and the Mary Tyler Moore show used to be on around midday every weekday back in 1997/98 on Network 2.

and of course you'd have Sports Stadium on a Saturday afternoon on Network 2 as well, showing Scottish indoor soccer :p

Play the Game, that charades thing with Ronan Collins, Derek Davis and Twink, i recall it being on a Thursday. could be wrong.

Oh I thought that was Saturday Nights or Sundays but you could be right.

Number 1 on Monday nights, Did they show Top of the Pops on a Monday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭DenMan

Star Trek:The Next Generation and Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman being on a Saturday. Two of my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Awh, I used to love TNG on Sat evenings around 7pm. Cheers was on Net 2 every Tuesday I think at 9pm after the American Football?

Elmo wrote: »
    Oh I thought that was Saturday Nights or Sundays but you could be right.

Number 1 on Monday nights, Did they show Top of the Pops on a Monday?

It very well could have been. I for some reason have thursday in my head. Dont remember that music show.

Live at 3 is another. ever week day at 3. I remember Dempseys Den and all those programmes starting at 3 as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programmes_broadcast_by_RT%C3%89

This should help. A list of programmes broadcast by RTE.

Also found this. A clip of Play the Game - Christmas Special. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urfYViamhw8

Also think that Network 2 showed Eerie, Indiana and the Adventures of Young Indiana Jones on a monday night.
    The Adventures of Young Indiana jones were later repeated on Saturday afternoons in 2003/4 on RTE1.
    Doctor Quinn was also a favourite show of mine. thought the daughter was a fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rtetvschedule

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah AFAIK Dallas was on Saturday nights followed by Saturday Live/Kenny Live.
    :o

Six News
    Garda Patrol
    Mail Bag
    Star Trek/Mission Impossible
    Secrets
    News
    Dallas
    Kenny Live
    :o:o:o:o

More old listings
    http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/?id=6:ca

Wow, cheers for those links, didn't realise there had been attempts elsewhere! Ok, don't know why I have in my head that Dallas was a sunday night. Yeh, Glenroe was 8:30 before the news on a sunday.
    Yeh, Secrets was Gerry Ryans show before they turned it to Ryans town or something. Secrets was on at 8pm on a saturday me thinks.

Saturday mornings and afternoons on RTE1 is another story. I recall ALOT of american imports. Million dollar man, bionic woman, A-team, chips, Knight rider, airworf, thunderboat (nineties), dukes of hazard. I know bionic woman was usually saturday mornings right! Knight rider was usually saturday afternoon (one ish) Later, they started showing air-wolf after Knight rider and by early nineties, they were showing 'Thunder in Paradise'.......

Ok, hope no-one's forgetting 'little house on the prairie' :P I think that was RTE 1 at 9am on Saturdays, actually strike that, it was Sunday mornings before mass. Nighthawks on network 2.
    I think by early nineties, RTE started showing sports mid-morning on a Saturday.

• Advertisement

[/QUOTE]

More old listings
    http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/?id=6:ca[/QUOTE]

13 Feb 1996 RTE1 Tuesday

13.50 Bon Voyage - I remember that show. Cathal O'Shannon was always on it.
    15.00 Live at 3
    16.02 Sons and Daughters!!! remember the theme tune more than show itself.
    17.30 A country practice. Christ, I forgotten about that show!!
    20.00 Head to Toe - yer man with the ponytail.

Christ, I feel old now. Thanks for the links. Ah the memories.

Saturday mornings and afternoons on RTE1 is another story. I recall ALOT of american imports. Million dollar man, bionic woman, A-team, chips, Knight rider, airworf, thunderboat (nineties), dukes of hazard. I know bionic woman was usually saturday mornings right! Knight rider was usually saturday afternoon (one ish) Later, they started showing air-wolf after Knight rider and by early nineties, they were showing 'Thunder in Paradise'.......

Also on a Saturday Blondie (old black and white sitcom) And some show from Jim Henson about fairy tales.

McGyver Mondays to Fridays on RTÉ at lunch time during the 90s.

It's tough remember dates the further back you go :(

Originally, McGyver was shown once a week on a Saturday in the 80s. Saturday evening.

Also, Hart to Hart on Network 2 on a saturday evening, I think 'the love boat' replaced it.

Who remembers Twin peaks? Was late night, might have been a Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

McGyver and The A-Team were both shown saturdays.matlock and jake and the fat man were on during the week.was there a music show on sunday mornings?

I think 2 other mid-week series were 'moonlighting' and 'cagney and Lacey'. I also remember 'Dynasty', maybe thats the one they showed Sunday night?

Also, 'Jo Maxi' on network 2 at 6 in the early nineties. Here's details from Wikipedia;

'In 1988 RTÉ 2 was revamped as Network 2. This revamp involved a new logo and brand but also a brand new Schedule. The schedule would remove most of RTÉ’s sports, children's and Irish language programming to Network 2.
    As part of this new station RTÉ extended its children’s programming starting with Bosco at 14:30 and Dempsey’s Den at 15:00 until 18:00, effectively Network 2’s afternoon schedule was a children’s channel. Jo Maxi would air each week night at 18:00 following The Den. It preceded the Australian teenage soap opera Home and Away.
    It was aimed at a Teenage audience and as a lead into Home and Away.
    In 1994 Jo Maxi was replaced by the Children's TV Show Echo Island, the 6 O'Clock slot would host various different shows mainly imported children's TV including Garfield and Friends and Are You Afraid of the Dark? but ultimately it was replaced by The Simpsons'

yabadabado wrote: »
    McGyver and The A-Team were both shown saturdays.matlock and jake and the fat man were on during the week.was there a music show on sunday mornings?

Yeh, Jake and the Fat Man was a favourite of mine. Was that one they showed during the summer schedule?
    Also, The cosbys was a pretty solid show. I think it was shown late sunday afternoons five-ish maybe??

This is the funniest 1980s intro

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Norderburse

Who remembers Twin peaks? Was late night, might have been a Sunday night.

I'm certain Twin Peaks was on RTE 1 after the Nine O'Clock News...think it was a Thursday night though (season 2 episodes in 1990/1991).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

yabadabado wrote: »

Sunday afternoons had MT-USA, but if memory serves wasn't there a "simulcast" between network 2 and radio 2 on sunday mornings for many years? I think Dave Fanning was the presenter. The A-team were shown on an early Saturday evening, but I seem to remember it only being on the English channels as I would sulk like a good 'un if I had to go to my granny's on a Saturday evening as she only had the 2 Irish stations.

And of course there was this

Moider, indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

That TV Room site appears to be a good site. However why are the listings so random/incomplete?

The Irish Times Archive is a great way of looking at old tv listings , however at €400 a year it's a bit steep for the casual web surfer :eek:

corblimey wrote: »
    but if memory serves wasn't there a "simulcast" between network 2 and radio 2 on sunday mornings for many years? I think Dave Fanning was the presenter.

the Beat Box and 2TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

This thread really pieced together some stray memories of tv in the 80s. I remembered the intro to Jake and the Fatman but didn't know what it was until I saw the youtube intro for the show. I remember Hart to Hart well though.

On Saturday nights in the 80s I remember Blind Date, well I remember Cilla Black's grating voice more. I think The Bill was on just before Dallas too. Have no idea why I watched these shows, I would have been too young to understand what was going on. On Saturday mornings I think RTE showed The Monkees. Hey Hey We're The Monkees......

Ok, I've managed to get access to Irish Times archives through institutional login. Some gems to remember from 1988:

-Cosby show was sunday at 6:15
    -Dempseys Den was weekdays on RTE 1 from 4 until 5:30. It finished with 'how do you do?' with Mary Fitzgerald on feb 2nd. After the news that day, was 'Russian Roulette' with Maxi.
    -A few regulars on RTE 2 that year included 'Emerdale Farm' at 4:55 and 'Country Practice' at 6:30. Oh and who remembers 'Sons and Daughers' over on RTE 2 shown a few times a week including fridays?

On saturday Feb 6th on Rte 1, Sports programming started at 10:30 onwards, with 'Sport Stadium' starting at 1. We also had 'Stairway to heaven' at 7pm.

In the Summer of 1986, 'Moonlighting' aired on Sunday nights at 9:15, followed by the Sunday game.

By November 1986; 'Good Afternoon' at 2pm was followed by 'Live at 3' at 3pm and 'Dempseys Den' started airing that year from september at 4:30pm. They also showed 'Today tonight' show after the news regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

On saturday Feb 6th on Rte 1, Sports programming started at 10:30 onwards, with 'Sport Stadium' starting at 1.

I think I remember that. Did it have the final countdown or some other hair band song for the opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

I remember the early 80s there was 'The Man from Atlantis' on saturday mornings (starring Bobby Ewing if memory serves me) and then a some comedy called 'crazy like a fox' in the eveings and during the week we had the greatest american hero, great days! Now we just have x factor in various different incarnations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

What about Pajo's Junkbox of a Saturday morning?! The one day of the week when it was a good thing to get out of bed early. Can find no clips of it on YouTube however, I actually have forgotten what Pajo's voice sounded like..

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JesseCuster

Was Hart to Hart on a Saturday too?

And Highway to Heaven - though that may have been part of the Sunday Michael-Landon-Fest on RTE.
    It had the saddest theme tune of all time!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

Today Tonight was the current affairs show on weekday evenings,
    of course 'live at three' for the oldies,
    (what's got 300 legs and smell of wee? ..The audience of live at three)

And there used to be some sports show on in the evening were the competitors had to do rowing, wieght lifting, shot put, jevalin, pull ups etc I remeber thinking it was brilliant at the time think it might have been call SuperStars or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just out of interest, why is this so important to you OP??

are you a media student??

Advertisement