Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE tv schedules in the 80s and 90s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Ah lads your bringing back memorys here, on one hand of absolute boredom when tat like live at 3 and play the game was on. On the other hand there was absolute joy when something came along like a desert in the oasis, usualy it was something like star trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

HydeRoad wrote: »
    It's easy, all you need is an upturned biscuit tin and two spoons... :)

I remember Saturday mornings particularly, Anything Goes with Aengus McNally, Mary Fitzgerald and Ultan Guilfoyle, The Little Rascals, Mr. Ed, followed later on by Daktari (Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion). Then Saturday Grandstand, and I abandoned the tv at that point...

yea anything goes was deadly on a sat morning, aengus with the guitar and all, was the hardy boys on at one point, then get smart was in between anything goes and sports stadium and there was a show called green acres too, the theme tune was that song, 'if i buy a new combine harvester and you give me the key' something like that any way, i also abandoned the tv when the sports stadium came on, went out on the bikes or something, no play stations in them days, i think dempsey and makepeace was on saturday evening aswell and game for a laugh but these might not have been on rte, taxi was another american import on late on sat night on netwrk 2
    nearly forgot monkey magic and the beechcombers but that is going way back, could be the 70's, just barely remember them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

green acres too, the theme tune was that song, 'if i buy a new combine harvester and you give me the key'

your thinking of

I have a brand new combine harverster and I will give you the key :D

clip from anything goes

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

lookinbusy wrote: »
    I remember the early 80s there was 'The Man from Atlantis' on saturday mornings (starring Bobby Ewing if memory serves me) and then a some comedy called 'crazy like a fox' in the eveings and during the week we had the greatest american hero, great days! Now we just have x factor in various different incarnations.

Ah yes, I remember Patrick Duffy as The Man From Atlantis on Saturday Mornings.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I remember Twin Peaks, it was definately on in late 1990, early 91. I think it was on Monday nights after the 9 o'clock news. I loved it, I thought it was so funny, even if the humour was quite dark. They really lost the run of themselves at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

A Country Practice, God that takes me back. In the door from work, dinner on the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

some i can recall in no particular order.
    from the 80's can remember murphys micro quiz-m which was then replaced by where in the world with thelma mansfield (?)
    play the game with the god awful twink
    live at 3 .. much loved by my granny (rip)

from the early nineties:
    my so called life ( american teen angst with a young jared leto)
    the excellent serie a italian league.. loved the opening music to it.
    a bizarre cartoon called ulysees ( i think) set in the future.
    an utterly atrocious childrens program called ' ship to shore' set in the shetland islands or somewhere!!
    holy **** where did rte get this stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The Beachcombers was practically the only thing on on a sunday morning....aside from the live bloody mass that is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

The Fall Guy was on Tuesday evenings, and then there was some program called Cover Up, had Bonnie Tylor's I need a Hero as the theme tune, I remember my sister loved that.
    Twin Peaks was on very late on a Saturday night, 11 or 11:30 I think. Don't remember the intro tune to Garda Patrol, just remember the blue light that used be on the top of cop cars back then was used.
    Where in the World was great, Sundays with Theresa Lowe. "Pass, Africa 12..."
    Then Know Your Sport, where the contestants would be expected to know questions like "In the 1936 Olympic Games Jesse Owens won the 100m sprint, but who came third?" or "in the 1972 cup final Best scored the winning goal, but who was substituted in the 32nd minute with a hamstring injury?"
    After getting impossible questions like that right for the show all the winner got was a feckin Know Your Sport chequebook and pen!! What a balls!
    Murphy's Micro Quizm where they used give away a blue or red Ford Sierra, which later changed to the Orion. And the last 5 questions was when they moved the contestant to the "hot seat", but if he got 4 right for the final one they made him stand beside the car, probably in an effort to put him off so they wouldn't have to get another new one for next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 moviefone

yabadabado wrote: »
    McGyver and The A-Team were both shown saturdays.matlock and jake and the fat man were on during the week.was there a music show on sunday mornings?
    does any1 remember a programme on netwok 2 about movie reviews? it was on late at night and had a man with a beard sitting in an empty cinema talking about not so famous films. the reason i ask is i can remember the title music and it haunts me. would love to hear it again. i think it was called the last picture show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 moviefone

moviefone wrote: »
    does any1 remember a programme on netwok 2 about movie reviews? it was on late at night and had a man with a beard sitting in an empty cinema talking about not so famous films. the reason i ask is i can remember the title music and it haunts me. would love to hear it again. i think it was called the last picture show or the last movie show?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

It was called the last movie show and it was RTE 1 on a Friday night, the guy who presented it was on RTE news a few days ago i think it said he is head lecturer in some college at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

Also Italian Serie A football on a Monday night always impressed the young Reg, mainly cos Maradona was playing..

aww man i used to love this, loved it :P

It was called the last movie show and it was RTE 1 on a Friday night, the guy who presented it was on RTE news a few days ago i think it said he is head lecturer in some college at the moment.

No it was The Last Picture Show (as in the movie) with Brian Reddin or the other Brian from Scratch Saturday. He did a Hitchcock season just remember seeing Psycho for the first time and being shocked by the shower scene I couldn't believe they could do that in the 1960 (still shocking, give the money back, get out of there now, Norman is a freak).

Not the main presenter but the guy standing beside the guy who used to present the Fanta Roadshow at the end of the clip (Andy Ruane)

Haha saturday morning kids TV :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Barglancy

Looking for the name of a show which aired on rte in the mid to late 80s. It was a kind of documdrama following a wilderness explorer. I think he was Australian and maybe called Abbi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Barglancy wrote: »
    Looking for the name of a show which aired on rte in the mid to late 80s. It was a kind of documdrama following a wilderness explorer. I think he was Australian and maybe called Abbi.
    Bring em back alive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I used to enjoy Beyond 2000 every Saturday afternoon on RTÉ Two

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

Barglancy wrote: »

I used to enjoy these programmes. RTE used to show them at different times on a Saturday morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alby_Mangels

Albertus Zwier "Alby" Mangels (born 16 November 1948) is a Dutch-born Australian adventurer and documentary film-maker widely remembered for his "World Safari" adventure travel films (World Safari, World Safari II, and World Safari III).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I used to love Thursday evenings around 1992. Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Eastenders followed by Baywatch. Thursday was my favourite day for TV back then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Kevin joyce

I used to love Thursday evenings around 1992. Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Eastenders followed by Baywatch. Thursday was my favourite day for TV back then :)

Eastenders was not on RTE back then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Eastenders was not on RTE back then.
    They might have had BBC. I presume this as they are on about their entire Thursday nights viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Barglancy

brian_t wrote: »
    I used to enjoy these programmes. RTE used to show them at different times on a Saturday morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alby_Mangels

Albertus Zwier "Alby" Mangels (born 16 November 1948) is a Dutch-born Australian adventurer and documentary film-maker widely remembered for his "World Safari" adventure travel films (World Safari, World Safari II, and World Safari III).

Brian_t you beauty - that's what I was looking for! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I used to enjoy Beyond 2000 every Saturday afternoon on RTÉ Two

Same here - it always had very interesting ideas or inventions that we would all be using in the new millenium (never really happened though)

used to despise Glenroe on a Sunday night. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Murphy Brown, mondays, net2 9pm.

Fresh Prince was shown on The Den for many years until its final few seasons as RTÉ felt that it was becoming too adult for children's TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Elmo wrote: »
    Fresh Prince was shown on The Den for many years until its final few seasons as RTÉ felt that it was becoming too adult for children's TV.

I seem to remember Sabrina getting a similar treatment - the early seasons where shown in the Den slot but the later (college years) ones used to shown, I think, around 7pm on a Monday evening. Not sure why that was, though probably aimed an older audience but I don't recall it ever getting particularly "adult" as such.

Niles wrote: »
    I seem to remember Sabrina getting a similar treatment - the early seasons where shown in the Den slot but the later (college years) ones used to shown, I think, around 7pm on a Monday evening. Not sure why that was, though probably aimed an older audience but I don't recall it ever getting particularly "adult" as such.

Sabrina may have aired during later seasons at 7pm during the college years alright but I don't think that had anything do to with adult themes as it now repeats on TRTÉ.

Sabrina did ditch her Aunts in the last season, and was heading towards becoming more of a twentysomething TV series. And was picked up by The WB when ABC cancelled the show in 2000.

Though in saying this RTÉ did put it on Two Tube before Neighbours perhaps they thought it was for an older Teen towards the last number of seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Elmo wrote: »
    Sabrina may have aired during later seasons at 7pm during the college years alright but I don't think that had anything do to with adult themes as it now repeats on TRTÉ.

Sabrina did ditch her Aunts in the last season, and was heading towards becoming more of a twentysomething TV series. And was picked up by The WB when ABC cancelled the show in 2000.

Though in saying this RTÉ did put it on Two Tube before Neighbours perhaps they thought it was for an older Teen towards the last number of seasons.

Yeah I always got the impression RTÉ viewed the later seasons as older teen - twentysomething material. Maybe to some extent it grew with part of its original audience. I don't recall any particularly "adult" themes, well not really, there was an episode where Sabrina enhances her, eh, "assets" to see if she gets more attention or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Memories coming to mind from 90s:

• Coach 7 pm on tuesday
    • Perfect Strangers - 7pm midweek
    • Quantum Leap/A-Team/Baywatch Saturdays
    • Blackboard Jungle -
    • and anyone remember Water Rats...Ozzie coast guard about 12 o clock...was a clear sign I had day off school next day...used to just stay up for the theme tune..QUALITY!!

• Advertisement

Batigol309 wrote: »
    and anyone remember Water Rats...Ozzie coast guard about 12 o clock...was a clear sign I had day off school next day...used to just stay up for the theme tune..QUALITY!!

Perfect reason to post a youtube video of Waterrats theme tune

Much better than Murder One which ran on Tuesday Nights at 9pm (I didn't think water rats was no a school night, maybe Monday though).

Advertisement