Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE tv schedules in the 80s and 90s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Wasn't Water Rats shown more recently at around 3:00am on Friday nights or similar?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hmm, some various bits and bobs...
    a bizarre cartoon called ulysees ( i think) set in the future.

That would be Ulysses 31, French/Japanese very loose adaption of Homer's Odessey.
    Elmo wrote:

No it was The Last Picture Show (as in the movie) with Brian Reddin or the other Brian from Scratch Saturday. He did a Hitchcock season just remember seeing Psycho for the first time and being shocked by the shower scene I couldn't believe they could do that in the 1960 (still shocking, give the money back, get out of there now, Norman is a freak).

That ran for years (and was still going into the 2000s IIRC), had a change of presenter at one stage and even a change of name (not sure what it became). Basically it was a post-Late Late Show cult movie slot (we're talking nearly midnight on a Friday night) where Brian Reddin would introduce the movie of the night, outline its artistic merit, key scenes, etc, and then the movie would play. On at least one occassion, the Last Picture Show was, in fact, The Last Picture Show.
    K-9 wrote:

Scarecrow and Mrs. King was originally 7 or 8 O'Clock but like a lot of them programmes, they showed them during the day, years later.

Still being run on RTÉ One these days in a weekend morning slot, although I always think Babylon 5 (one show that never made its way onto Irish TV) every time I see Bruce Boxleitner.
    After the news that day, was 'Russian Roulette' with Maxi.

Rapid Roulette! (All I can remember from that show was the catchphrase "Red is the bet! And red is the colour!"). I don't think RTÉ would be allowed show Russian roulette...
    I think I remember that. Did it have the final countdown or some other hair band song for the opening?

The theme for Sports Stadium was indeed Europe's The Final Countdown.
    lookinbusy wrote:
    And there used to be some sports show on in the evening were the competitors had to do rowing, wieght lifting, shot put, jevalin, pull ups etc I remeber thinking it was brilliant at the time think it might have been call SuperStars or something

The only thing I can remember like this was Sportsworld, which aired Fridays around 7pm on Network 2 in the early 1990s, and which was basically Trans World Sport revoiced by an RTÉ presenter for the first half and a preview of the weekend's sport at home with George Hamilton for the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lookinbusy
    And there used to be some sports show on in the evening were the competitors had to do rowing, wieght lifting, shot put, jevalin, pull ups etc I remeber thinking it was brilliant at the time think it might have been call SuperStars or something
    The only thing I can remember like this was Sportsworld, which aired Fridays around 7pm on Network 2 in the early 1990s, and which was basically Trans World Sport revoiced by an RTÉ presenter for the first half and a preview of the weekend's sport at home with George Hamilton for the second half.

That was Superstars, used to be on BBC1 midweek around 7pm during mid 70s to mid 80s hosted by David Vine. RTE done an Irish version, Always remember Pat Spillane with with his famous sun tan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

No1J wrote: »
    That was Superstars, used to be on BBC1 midweek around 7pm during mid 70s to mid 80s hosted by David Vine. RTE done an Irish version, Always remember Pat Spillane with with his famous sun tan.

I think he won the world version outright? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

icdg wrote: »
    Rapid Roulette! (All I can remember from that show was the catchphrase "Red is the bet! And red is the colour!"). I don't think RTÉ would be allowed show Russian roulette...

They should though, RTE "stars" would be the contestants and AH decides the winner.

Reminds me of Know your sport.

Anybody remember the Irish version of University Challenge presented by the universally loved Kevin Myers?

Yeah, Brendan Dunleavy, a Donegal footballer, was in one of the shows.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

this is going way back to the early to mid 80,s but i remember as a young kid , thier being an australian soap which was set in the 1930,s , the sullivans it was called ,shown around 5 pm , cant remember ever watching it but for some reason i remember the opening credits , family potrait which then unfreezes and kids scatter , weird how some things stick in the memory

p.s

we all remember bosco on our screens growing up but is it true that they only ever made on series ( 1978 ) and just kept repeating it for the next dozen years

Elmo wrote: »
    I think he won the world version outright? No?

No I think he done very well on the first day but was in bits the second day and could not stick the heat in America. He hadn't heard of sun screen and was badly burnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

No I think he done very well on the first day but was in bits the second day and could not stick the heat in America. He hadn't heard of sun screen and was badly burnt.
    I remember Ed Moses in this he was unbeatable in the 400m hurdles over a number of years,a real all time great.
    Can't see the likes of Bolt getting involved in something like it today if it was still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

irishh_bob wrote: »
    this is going way back to the early to mid 80,s but i remember as a young kid , thier being an australian soap which was set in the 1930,s , the sullivans it was called ,shown around 5 pm , cant remember ever watching it but for some reason i remember the opening credits , family potrait which then unfreezes and kids scatter , weird how some things stick in the memory

p.s

we all remember bosco on our screens growing up but is it true that they only ever made on series ( 1978 ) and just kept repeating it for the next dozen years

God the Sullivans brings back memories, like you most of what I can recall is the opening credits, the same with Sons & Daughters, which was on weekday afternoons.

I think you're correct with Bosco too

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

p.s

I think the Sullivans was on RTE2 at 5.30, it started RTE2 programming long before the Den.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I remember Ed Moses in this he was unbeatable in the 400m hurdles over a number of years,a real all time great.
    Can't see the likes of Bolt getting involved in something like it today if it was still going.[/QUO

Agreed, Bolt is a knob, doesn't even bother training much.
    Do you remember in the early 90s we had Super channel on and off, and on channel 4 the late night talk show After Dark which was really good, I remember Oliver Reed was on it locked.

p.s

Not having watched much of Bosco, (I can hear the Yeah sure's from here) I know it was made over a number of years as I knew a few of the presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I remember an American series called 'Double Trouble' that used to air in the afternoons during the midd 80's....used to love that show!

Ku4p5fVPlnD7cDq.jpg

Also, 'Number 1', was a music quiz show. Gerry Ryan, Joe Elliot and Dave Fanning were captains, I think. Ian Dempsey hosted it.

I remember George Hamilton hosting a quiz called 'Know Your Sport' as well.

Whatever happened to Irish quiz shows...?

Can't see the likes of Bolt getting involved in something like it today if it was still going.[/QUO

Agreed, Bolt is a knob, doesn't even bother training much.
    Do you remember in the early 90s we had Super channel on and off, and on channel 4 the late night talk show After Dark which was really good, I remember Oliver Reed was on it locked.
    Sorry man!
    2 stations only for our house until 1992.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

heartbeat on a sunday evening, UTV 8pm i think

I remember a time when the simpsons were on once a week on a saturday afternoon either after of before baywatch on RTE1

p.s

Pretty sure they made some new episodes around 83 or 84 but because it was on 5 days a week all year round it would be easy to get the impression that it was on a loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

the muppets on saturday evening

Pretty sure they made some new episodes around 83 or 84 but because it was on 5 days a week all year round it would be easy to get the impression that it was on a loop.

The Sullivan's ran for years on RTÉ long after it had finished but it got more than one season, 8 altogether and 1114 episodes according to Wikipedia. Mel Gibson was in it for a while AFAIK, only fighting the nazis :rolleyes:

Sons and Daughters also ran for years after it was Axed.

Sullivans.jpg
    Sad.JPG

Anyone remember a live submarine show from the 1960s repeated on RTÉ TV during the late 1980s? Also an English show about Owls, with something to do with a china plate? And a dubbed Scandinavian show about a guy looking for his father?????

The Sullivan's ran for years on RTÉ long after it had finished but it got more than one season, 8 altogether and 1114 episodes according to Wikipedia. Mel Gibson was in it for a while AFAIK, only fighting the nazis :rolleyes:

Sons and Daughters also ran for years after it was Axed.

Sullivans.jpg
    Sad.JPG

Anyone remember a live submarine show from the 1960s repeated on RTÉ TV during the late 1980s? Also an English show about Owls, with something to do with a china plate? And a dubbed Scandinavian show about a guy looking for his father?????

Jesus, would hate to have being carrying that around in my head:eek:
    I kinda remember a show with the Owl, but the dubbed show reminded me of The Water Margins on BBC 2 Fridays around 7pm, and another one was The Flashing Blades BBC 1, both on around 1977.

Jesus, would hate to have being carrying that around in my head:eek:
    I kinda remember a show with the Owl, but the dubbed show reminded me of The Water Margins on BBC 2 Fridays around 7pm, and another one was The Flashing Blades BBC 1, both on around 1977.

Yeah its been bugging me for years lol

The Dubbed show was set in the 1970s. I have a feeling it was filmed in English just badly dubbed, the main character always seem to be arriving into ports each week, no idea what it was about just remember think why are all these ABBA lookalikes on my TV, and what is this rubbish. It followed a history of the Discovery of America which was a set of drawings with a boring voice over :( I remember thinking could they not animate this to make it more interesting.

The show about the plate with the owl on it was on during the week. It may have followed Elephant Boy :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah its been bugging me for years lol

The Dubbed show was set in the 1970s. I have a feeling it was filmed in English just badly dubbed, the main character always seem to be arriving into ports each week, no idea what it was about just remember think why are all these ABBA lookalikes on my TV, and what is this rubbish. It followed a history of the Discovery of America which was a set of drawings with a boring voice over :( I remember thinking could they not animate this to make it more interesting.

The show about the plate with the owl on it was on during the week. It may have followed Elephant Boy :rolleyes:

I had forgotten The Elephant Boy. the owl was The Owl Service, OH knew that one.
    Mornings early 70s were BBC, The Banana Splits, Ali Bongo, Swap Shop, Why don't you.

Thanks i think to opening titles just reminded me of a china plate and I was freaked out by it

Now to find out the submarine show and the other one.

Can Anyone think of the name of the Aboriginal police/detective show that was on RTE in the 70s. The star was meant to be Aboriginal but was white with lots of make up and wore a suit no shirt and no shoes that he got for his conformation. It was based in the outback and made Australia look like a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

I remember:

Automan on Thursdays at 7.
    Miami Vice on Mondays at 9:30 on RTE 1 around the late 80's.
    Manimal around 10:30 RTE2 late 80's.
    Wanderly Wagon around 5:30 on a Friday early 80's.
    Little House On the Praire 7PM on a Sunday evening, replaced by StairWay to Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, maybe?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

Can Anyone think of the name of the Aboriginal police/detective show that was on RTE in the 70s. The star was meant to be Aboriginal but was white with lots of make up and wore a suit no shirt and no shoes that he got for his conformation. It was based in the outback and made Australia look like a kip.

Boney (Detective Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159157/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boney_(TV_series)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

squonk wrote: »
    I remember:

Automan on Thursdays at 7.
    Miami Vice on Mondays at 9:30 on RTE 1 around the late 80's.
    Manimal around 10:30 RTE2 late 80's.
    Wanderly Wagon around 5:30 on a Friday early 80's.
    Little House On the Praire 7PM on a Sunday evening, replaced by StairWay to Heaven.

You beat me to it with Tubbs and Crockett. I also remember that Fawlty Towers was on before it and then V followed it. Ring a bell?

brian_t wrote: »

Nice one, I thought it was something like Bonio, it was dreary rubbish.

One of my favorites at the time and I think it still stand's up was The Streets Of San Francisco, it was on RTE 2 10pm late 70s, early 80s Tuesdays I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I Remember a detective show called Barnaby Jones played Buddy Ebsom used to be on weekdays on Network 2 at midday. Also i remember another show called the Equalizer with Edward Woodward and used to be on RTE ONE i think Wednesday's at 9.30 pm.

Advertisement