Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE tv schedules in the 80s and 90s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, maybe?:confused:

That is it, repeat along with LAND OF THE GIANTS. That radar noise is all I really remember from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

K-9 wrote: »
    I think the Sullivans was on RTE2 at 5.30, it started RTE2 programming long before the Den.

oh , long before the den , i was ten when the den began in 1987 , the sullivans was when i was like six

No1J wrote: »
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    I remember Ed Moses in this he was unbeatable in the 400m hurdles over a number of years,a real all time great.
    Can't see the likes of Bolt getting involved in something like it today if it was still going.[/QUO

Agreed, Bolt is a knob, doesn't even bother training much.
    Do you remember in the early 90s we had Super channel on and off, and on channel 4 the late night talk show After Dark which was really good, I remember Oliver Reed was on it locked.

bolt is cool , great to see an athlete who is not a friggin robot , bolt has personality , something rare in sport nowadays

irishh_bob wrote: »
    oh , long before the den , i was ten when the den began in 1987 , the sullivans was when i was like six

They repeated into the late 1980 and some of the early 1990s. The Den only started on RTÉ 2 in 1988 (aka Network 2), it used to go out at 4pm on RTÉ 1 after Live at 3.

I remember an American series called 'Double Trouble' that used to air in the afternoons during the midd 80's....used to love that show!

Ku4p5fVPlnD7cDq.jpg

Also, 'Number 1', was a music quiz show. Gerry Ryan, Joe Elliot and Dave Fanning were captains, I think. Ian Dempsey hosted it.

I remember George Hamilton hosting a quiz called 'Know Your Sport' as well.

Whatever happened to Irish quiz shows...?

ian dempsey may have presented number one at some stage but when the show started out with gerry ryan and dave fanning , it was some guy from 2fm called heffernen who chaired proceedings

• Advertisement

One of my favorites at the time and I think it still stand's up was The Streets Of San Francisco, it was on RTE 2 10pm late 70s, early 80s Tuesdays I think.

the streets of san fran cisco was still being shown on rte 2 up untill around 1991 , great show with two great actors , michael douglas and the great karl malden

this thread is really bringing back memorys

some other lesser known cop shows that spring to mind

TJ hooker with william shatner , remember the opening titles with him running

street hawk , cant remember anything about this other than the lead charechter had a futuristic motorbike

airwolf , same deal only with a hellicopter

matt houston , this was along the lines of magnum , private investigator deal

hardcastle and mc cormack , if memory serves correctly , ernest bogerine was in this , old grizzled cop and young rookie i think

il quit now for fear of being seen as sadder than usual

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ian dempsey may have presented number one at some stage but when the show started out with gerry ryan and dave fanning , it was some guy from 2fm called heffernen who chaired proceedings

That was the RTE answer to the BBC one with Mike Reid, anybody remember the name?
    the streets of san fran cisco was still being shown on rte 2 up untill around 1991 , great show with two great actors , michael douglas and the great karl malden

this thread is really bringing back memorys

some other lesser known cop shows that spring to mind

TJ hooker with william shatner , remember the opening titles with him running

street hawk , cant remember anything about this other than the lead charechter had a futuristic motorbike

airwolf , same deal only with a hellicopter

matt houston , this was along the lines of magnum , private investigator deal

hardcastle and mc cormack , if memory serves correctly , ernest bogerine was in this , old grizzled cop and young rookie i think

il quit now for fear of being seen as sadder than usual

Airwolf was unmissable in our house, sister had a crush on the actor, he died young.

Dempsey and Makepeace on ITV, the American actor made a bit of a comeback recently, appeared in a few series.

Scarecrow and Misses King and of course Remington Steele.

East of Eden was another one, Australia's answer to Dallas.

As for dubbing, there was some German Soap Network 2 took on and they dubbed it.

Always remember the littlest Hobo about an Australian Dingo, used to be on about 4 on N2, might have been pre Den days.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 WD_Joe

this was unmissable in our house. Cant remember exactly what night of the week though, but am pretty sure it was on a school night!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

I remember every Sunday night my Da would sit us all down and make us watch
    Mike Murphy's Quizm?

Almost sure there was an "m" at the end of Quiz! Does anyone know what that was about??/:confused:

Always remember the littlest Hobo about an Australian Dingo, used to be on about 4 on N2, might have been pre Den days.

German soap must look it up.

Canadian Littlest Hobo

Dempsey and Makepeace used to air on Network 2 with repeats of The Streets San Fransico and The Rockford Files.

The Fugitive was repeated late night when the film was released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 WD_Joe

...featuring a young courtney cox... Think it aired early on saturday evenings!

WD_Joe wrote: »
    ...featuring a young courtney cox... Think it aired early on saturday evenings!

And the manager of Central Perk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Elmo wrote: »
    The Sullivan's ran for years on RTÉ long after it had finished but it got more than one season, 8 altogether and 1114 episodes according to Wikipedia. Mel Gibson was in it for a while AFAIK, only fighting the nazis :rolleyes:

The reason The Sullivans ran for so long on RTE is simple. They only showed it once a week. In Australia it was shown three or four times a week.

From the mid 1980s onwards it was on a Friday. About 5.30pm on RTE 1 before the news. If there was an sporting event it got bumped.

seabre wrote: »
    I remember every Sunday night my Da would sit us all down and make us watch
    Mike Murphy's Quizm?

Almost sure there was an "m" at the end of Quiz! Does anyone know what that was about??/:confused:

Murphy's Micro Quiz-M

Think the extra M was vanity on Mike Murphy's part.

Ran from September 1983 to May 1987.

T

As for dubbing, there was some German Soap Network 2 took on and they dubbed it.

Return To Eden. A three part mini series in 1985 and then a full-blown 22 part series in 1986.

The German soap was Black Forest Clinic.

German soap must look it up.

Canadian Littlest Hobo

Dempsey and Makepeace used to air on Network 2 with repeats of The Streets San Fransico and The Rockford Files.

The Fugitive was repeated late night when the film was released.

Always thought it was a dingo, maybe I'm thinking of another show. RTE loved Canada.

There was a show about a bear in the everglades too?

Yeah, they showed them late, the Prisoner too.

Apparently he was offered James Bond and the Saint but it was too filthy!

BBC2 showed all the Hammer Horrors late on a Saturday night.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Does anyone remember an austrailian mini series, think it was called fields of fire. It was about guys cutting sugar cane. Think it aired in summer 1990. I am looking for the theme tune, cant find it on youtube. Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

Knight Rider aired on a Wednsday at 8 on RTE1 if I remember correctly. Just prior to that they had Simon & Simon on the same time slot. That was around mid 80's. I remember because me and my brother got sick of Simon and Simon and started watching something on 2 and then turned over one week to realise that Knight Rider was on, and it was way cooler... I know, I know but it was simpler times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember an austrailian mini series, think it was called fields of fire. It was about guys cutting sugar cane. Think it aired in summer 1990. I am looking for the theme tune, cant find it on youtube. Any help appreciated.

Is that the Big Country song if it is it would be on you tube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

bolt is cool , great to see an athlete who is not a friggin robot , bolt has personality , something rare in sport nowadays

Did you see the Michael Johnston documentary on Bolt, he didn't come out of that looking too good?

• Advertisement

That was the RTE answer to the BBC one with Mike Reid, anybody remember the name?

Airwolf was unmissable in our house, sister had a crush on the actor, he died young.

Dempsey and Makepeace on ITV, the American actor made a bit of a comeback recently, appeared in a few series.

Scarecrow and Misses King and of course Remington Steele.

you mean return to eden which was an aussie take on the big hair and power suits thing of the 80,s , was more a dynasty rip off than dallas and it was a mini series

as for the littlest hobo , thier is an add now showing on tv with an old english sheepdog which featues the theme tune from the littles hobo , i think the dog in that show was a german shepherd and im pretty sure it was set in america or perhaps canada, not australa though

another canadian show i remember as a kid was the kids of degrassi street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jowgli

Does anyone remember Chico the rainmaker?, was on Sunday mornings between 9-11 i think. Was really quite terrifying

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

what was he one with grizzley adams?, there was another american thing called silverspoons, or anyone remember benson

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

I think he won the world version outright? No?

there was a bloke called gerry loftus, i think that was his name but he was really famous for it at the time, i remember he visited our school and it was like barack obama visiting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE1 was infested with generic American network tosh wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

what was he one with grizzley adams?, there was another american thing called silverspoons, or anyone remember benson

Oh, Silver Spoons was very popular: sure that kid's father had a mini train set in his living room. And Ricky Schroeder was very cute...
    And I remember Benson - Benson Dubois, wasn't it? Of course, the supporting cast - Gretchen, the governor and that uptight aide - were far more memorable than the main character.
    Damn you, floyd. Now I've to check those shows out on Youtube.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

jowgli wrote: »
    Does anyone remember Chico the rainmaker?, was on Sunday mornings between 9-11 i think. Was really quite terrifying

:eek: Yeah i still remember the song and everything, it went like this chico chico the rainmaker, chico pocko socka wont you make some rain:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Bring back Mailbag !!!!!!!!!!! :D After the 6 news on a saturday.

Another one I ran home from school for was Long long ago, I'd love to see that again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

calex71 wrote: »
    Bring back Mailbag !!!!!!!!!!! :D After the 6 news on a saturday.

Mailbag was great. Apparently Arthur Muphy does something similar on Ray Darcys radio show.

• Advertisement

Garda Patrol was better.

Advertisement