Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE tv schedules in the 80s and 90s

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

K-9 wrote: »
    Garda Patrol was better.

Landmark, Mart and Market, Hands, 7 Days, just what a young Teen wanted to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Sam Tyler

I didnt quite know where to post this but anyone remember the '90s drama on rte1 written by roddy doyle about a dublin family? At the time it was quite groundbraking.

Anyway it has been released on dvd now, i got my copy at tesco! I didnt realise it was made by the bbc!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Sam Tyler wrote: »
    I didnt quite know where to post this but anyone remember the '90s drama on rte1 written by roddy doyle about a dublin family? At the time it was quite groundbraking.

Anyway it has been released on dvd now, i got my copy at tesco! I didnt realise it was made by the bbc!:eek:

Family. Characters "Charlo and Paula".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yep co-production with RTÉ wouldn't be surprised if the IFB was also involved. But perhaps not since the IFB was only re-introduced in 1993.

I always wonder when things stop being groundbreaking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

K-9 wrote: »

Airwolf was unmissable in our house, sister had a crush on the actor, he died young.

Better tell him so, as he is still acting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Watching it now, on the second episode. Haven't heard "Mr. Vain" since I was at the no name club back then lol do they still have that :o

It really is bringing memories of that time back in floods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Just came across this thread. I also remember enjoying a cartoon called Spartacus and the Sun Beneath the Sea. Also, there was a series of TV movies called The Gambler with Kenny Rogers. Both these were from 1989. My favourite shows were all the cop shows (Miami Vice, TJ Hooker, Hill St Blues), the soaps (Dallas, Dynasty, Coronation Street and Fair City, 3 of which are still going: and Glenroe) and so on.

It was also the time when Australian soaps like Home and Away and Neighbours came on the scene and every Irish person suddenly wanted to go to Australia.

Also, remember the national anthem closing out the TV. There was also these ones:

Crossbow: about William Tell.
    Sledge Hammer: a very daft spoof on Dirty Harry.

As the 1990s went on, more and more of what we see on it now came into being.

And then there was something completely different: watching the Eurovision with Ireland either winning or coming second more often than not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭markomuscle

i've got a few newspapers from 1993, i'll post up the listings soon

Encore was a chat show I remember.
    Thankfully, there was not as much reality TV, chefs, garden makeovers, etc. There was one chef programme in the 1980s called In the Mood for Food I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

There was also Darina Allen. Simply Delicious I believe it was called. She wasn't quite as posh as Rachel but I do remember her catchphrase "There we awr now!" :).

On the Sci Fi theme, RTE back in the later 80's showed two one season wonder shows that were fantastic at the time when I was too young to know better! Automan, which was about a tech nerd working for the police force who created his own virtual reality crime fighting assistant with the ability to generate his own car/chopper or anything else he needed from what I remember. It used to be shown on a Friday evening about 7PM I believe. Late on a Monday night about 10PM there was another show called Manimal. It was about a guy who could turn into various different animals to solve crimes. I didn't get to see this too much but it looked class at the time, though I think it mightn't stand up well now! :)

Way back in the early 80's there were 2 shows that drew on the Indiana Jones fad! One was Tales of the Gold Monkey which was on about 7/8PM on either a Tue or Wed evening I'd guess. I really was only about 7 or 8 at the time so my recollection mightn't be accurate. Another one RTE showed was Bring 'em Back Alive with Bruce Boxleittner who later went on to play Scarecrow in Scarecrow & Mrs. King and, putting on my sci fi hat, did a sterling job on Babylon 5 in the 90's as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some Irish listings from yore

http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/?id=6:ca

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

hitman79 wrote: »
    Dallas was definately on a sat night me thinks! Used to always fall asleep watching it but i was only about 8.
    yeah saturday after me bath!

home from school watching LSD inspired fortycoats, wanderly wagon the den, original star trek, and Pats chat!

home from school watching LSD inspired fortycoats, wanderly wagon the den, original star trek, and Pats chat!

Pats Chat : LSD, Hash, the voices, the voices and the telephone hat!

1976!

The Brady Bunch
    A family comedy series. Greg plans to buy a car out of his savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Just came across this thread. I also remember enjoying a cartoon called Spartacus and the Sun Beneath the Sea. Also, there was a series of TV movies called The Gambler with Kenny Rogers. Both these were from 1989. My favourite shows were all the cop shows (Miami Vice, TJ Hooker, Hill St Blues), the soaps (Dallas, Dynasty, Coronation Street and Fair City, 3 of which are still going: and Glenroe) and so on.

It was also the time when Australian soaps like Home and Away and Neighbours came on the scene and every Irish person suddenly wanted to go to Australia.

Also, remember the national anthem closing out the TV. There was also these ones:

Crossbow: about William Tell.
    Sledge Hammer: a very daft spoof on Dirty Harry.

As the 1990s went on, more and more of what we see on it now came into being.

And then there was something completely different: watching the Eurovision with Ireland either winning or coming second more often than not!

Sledge Hammer was hilarious. A real send-up. The DVDs are worth a purchase.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Sledge Hammer was hilarious. A real send-up. The DVDs are worth a purchase.

Sledgehammer was deadly ha must look up the DVDs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Does anyone remember:
    The Human Target
    Blacks Magic (think that's the name, about a crime solving magician)
    Street Hawk

Ipso wrote: »
    The Human Target

Yes it only lasted 8 or so episodes!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103447/

There is a newer version

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1439741/

Sledgehammer was very cool I thought too. It had only 2 series and deserved more. It mainly was a send up of Dirty Harry but also sent up elements of TJ Hooker, Miami Vice and other series that featured tough, unorthodox cops. Even the Dallas or Dynasty still cliffhanger was used at the end of season 1 when Sledge set off the nuclear bomb. Series two was set 5 years before this!

• Advertisement

Automan anyone? Pandemonium? Beachcombers...benji zack and the alien prince? In Germany I'm Johann and in England i am johnnnnnn!

Other things I remember:

1990s: Bibi Baskin and Carrie Crowley were everywhere. We had Darina instead of Rachel Allen.
    1980s: A rip off of Miami Vice set in Hong Kong. Can't remember the name. In the greenland, a historical programme, by a John Mills. Gay Byrne was presenting everything. Anyone remember the Calor housewives of the year !! Gay's wife did a thing called Face to the place or something like visiting sites around the country. How true the collusion between politicians/bankers and drug dealers hinted at in series like Miami Vice really was!! Watch an episode from the start of the second series called The Prodigal Son and you will see what the banksters are really like even then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Misfits of Science, The Wizard, ALF

• Registered Users Posts: 23,348 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have alot of rt e guides from the 80s if anyone wants to check anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

I have an old original RTE Guide from back in the early 90's. I am not selling it though. It was one with Armand Assante and Jacqueline Bisset on the cover starring in 'Napoleon and Josephine, A Love Story' mini series. It is nice to look back and see how much TV listings/schedules have changed including, closedown... they still closedown in a way ...just euronews now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Ipso wrote: »
    Does anyone remember:
    The Human Target
    Blacks Magic (think that's the name, about a crime solving magician)
    Street Hawk

I still have a Streethawk pencil case set in my mothers.I used to love that show.

merlie wrote: »
    I have an old original RTE Guide from back in the early 90's. I am not selling it though. It was one with Armand Assante and Jacqueline Bisset on the cover starring in 'Napoleon and Josephine, A Love Story' mini series. It is nice to look back and see how much TV listings/schedules have changed including, closedown... they still closedown in a way ...just euronews now.

I remember Napoleon and Josephine, A Love Story from around 1989 or 1990.
    Other miniseries were Roots, North & South and Shogun. All coming back ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone remember Spencer for Hire in the late 80's? The Equalizer was also shown late at night, maybe around 10-11ish. I've a feeling it was 11ish. Midweek too if I'm not mistaken. In the late 80's also Midnight Caller was shown late on Friday night, maybe about 11 or so. I loved Midnight Caller. My first introduction to Gary Cole who has become one of my favourite actors these days!

squonk wrote: »
    Anyone remember Spencer for Hire in the late 80's? The Equalizer was also shown late at night, maybe around 10-11ish. I've a feeling it was 11ish. Midweek too if I'm not mistaken. In the late 80's also Midnight Caller was shown late on Friday night, maybe about 11 or so. I loved Midnight Caller. My first introduction to Gary Cole who has become one of my favourite actors these days!

Yes, I remember all of these shows. All were pretty good. They all were on around 11 in the late 1980s to early 1990s. Also, a 1950s set private detective series Private Eye. There also was this spoof detective series with a young Bruce Willis called Moonlighting in the 1980s. Sundays I think. There was also a one called Hooperman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

For some strange reason I thought of Sledgehammer while watching In the Loop, the In the Thick of It, American version film. Besides James Gandolfini, Sledgehammer played the other slightly interesting American character.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement