Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE tv schedules in the 80s and 90s

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gay's wife did a thing called Face to the place or something like visiting sites around the country.

Faeces and Plaeces we called it.

Typical cheap RTE codger-vox-pop TV. Nothing they love more than getting a few coffin dodgers wittering on in Grampa Simpson fashion.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

ninja900 wrote: »
    Faeces and Plaeces we called it.

Typical cheap RTE codger-vox-pop TV. Nothing they love more than getting a few coffin dodgers wittering on in Grampa Simpson fashion.

That's the one. If I recall, it was something akin to the recent UTV programme that James Nesbitt did about Ireland. Although probably not as polished.

You can watch a whole lot of these old RTE shows on the RTE Player to see how good or bad they are. I predict that most of them would be better than most of what is on it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Other miniseries were Roots, North & South and Shogun. All coming back ..
    That reminds me of a mini-series back in the 1980's featuring a man of the cloth and his difficulties with clerical life and celibacy. I think it may have been set in Australia and featured a ranch called "Drogheda" (pronounced "draw heeda").

Can anyone recall it's name?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

That reminds me of a mini-series back in the 1980's featuring a man of the cloth and his difficulties with clerical life and celibacy. I think it may have been set in Australia and featured a ranch called "Drogheda" (pronounced "draw heeda").

Can anyone recall it's name?

The Thorn Birds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

brian_t wrote: »
    Of course! Sounds obvious now. Thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

brian_t wrote: »

I remember that. Somehow it managed to be extremely controversial and very boring at the same time...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »
    I remember that. Somehow it managed to be extremely controversial and very boring at the same time...

Echoes was another of these mini series. An Irish one but don't know what it was all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Echoes was another of these mini series. An Irish one but don't know what it was all about.

Based on the Maeve Binchy novel and shot in Passage East, Co. Waterford if I remember correctly.

Does anyone remember the Irish prison drama in the mid 1980s called "Inside?"

All I remember about it was one of the characters calling another "a grass" and the prisoners in a TV room watching Bosco! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

johnayo wrote: »
    the muppets on saturday evening

Sunday

Re the Sulivans didn't Kylie play a Dutch girl in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I used to love all the mini-series that would be on RTE over the summer when the likes of Dallas, Dynasty etc where on a break.

Mistrals Daughter
    Return to Eden
    Hollywood Wifes
    Lace
    Lace 2
    North and South 1 and 2

and my all time favourite Mini Series that was aired every Thursday night on Network 2 (while Falcon Crest was on a break) The Dirtwater Dynasty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dirtwater_Dynasty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

The Young Indiana Jones.
    Xena.
    Top 30 Hits, remember that? They used to play about 30 seconds of each song for half an hour. :o
    Blackboard Jungle.
    Know Your Sport.
    Star Trek: The Next Generation - I think RTE used to actually put prime-time shows like this on in prime-time slots instead of Fair City, Nationwide etc. :rolleyes:
    Bibi Baskin.
    Glenroe.
    Live at Three.
    This is Your Life.
    Bewitched.
    C.H.I.P.S.
    Little House on the Prairie.

Is Dynasty worth getting into?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Aglomerado wrote: »

All I remember about it was one of the characters calling another "a grass" and the prisoners in a TV room watching Bosco! :D

Never seen it but you've sold it to me already with that description!

Niles wrote: »
    Never seen it but you've sold it to me already with that description!

I was about 7 at the time and thought those two things were hilarious, especially lags watching Bosco!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Play the game on RTE One with Derek Davis and Twink. "A fill-em....sounds like!" :p

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Play the game on RTE One with Derek Davis and Twink. "A fill-em....sounds like!" :p

Twink having tantrums and refusing to "play the game" with one of her team mates. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ruubot2 wrote: »

I'm surprised RTE haven't revived this - it must be the cheapest television series of all time. I think it was very popular back in the day.

I loved Derek Davis. His lovely soft Northern accent was the perfect antidote to Twink's caterwauling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Superstars!!

then outside doing press-ups and running through tyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Golden girls Monday night at 9pm.
    Hop along Cassidy, used to be on Sunday around 1/2pm, b&w cowboy show, loved that.
    The Virginian Saturday around 3pm.
    The abbot & Costello show, about 6/6.30 rte 2.
    I love Lucy, lucille ball, again around 6/6.30 Thursday nights.
    Chips Saturday 1pm.
    Sports stadium sat afternoon.
    My favourite martian b&w.
    I Love Gennie afternoons.
    Tales from the unexpected, either a tue or thur night.
    Hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Superstars!!

then outside doing press-ups and running through tyres!

Gerry Loftus - Legend!

The Odd Couple.
    The Wonder Years.
    Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
    Kenan and Kel. :rolleyes:
    Murphy Browne.
    Ned and Stacey.
    Duty Free.
    Gridlock.
    A few more obvious ones: Friends, The Fast Show, Harry Enfield, Father Ted, Home Improvements, Jake and the Fatman, Magnum PI, Simpsons, Oprah, Heartbeat.

I remember them being on RTE because I had a deprived childhood of only two channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Kenan and Kel. :rolleyes:

God I remember the ad Kenan and Kel fridays at five, thats Kenan and Kel Fridays at fiiive.

has anybody mentioned this yet?

I loved Derek Davis. His lovely soft Northern accent was the perfect antidote to Twink's caterwauling.

Derek was a good presenter. Never cared for Twink who we still get way too much of!

GTR63 wrote: »

has anybody mentioned this yet?

Nice one! And Flipper too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Does anyone remember the Irish prison drama in the mid 1980s called "Inside?"

I remember it. Tom Jordan was in it [Charlie from Fair City]. It was bleak enough. Autumn of 1985. If it was made by ITV then it would be out on DVD by now. But because it's RTE it's never ever gotten a repeat.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I remember it. Tom Jordan was in it [Charlie from Fair City]. It was bleak enough. Autumn of 1985. If it was made by ITV then it would be out on DVD by now. But because it's RTE it's never ever gotten a repeat.

I'd love to see it again. I found a still from it here:
    https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2050/061.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I'd love to see it again. I found a still from it here:
    https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2050/061.html

I see Bela [Jim Bartley] in it too. I'm sure that Network DVD url]www.networkonair.com[/url would be interested in releasing it [along with other RTE titles like Bracken and Glenroe] but RTE don't really seem interested in their own archive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Wow just came across this now
    Brought some memories
    One cartoon that often crops up for me was one with a spotted furry thing flying ina spaceship.. It often bugs me as I can never remember it properly. It could well have been in English and then rehashed as gaeilge at a later date. Was it simply 'spotty' or what was the name of it?
    I also remember and don't think it's been mentioned yet the bord gais housekeeper of the year (might have name slightly incorrect)
    Also remember the granny bringing the black n white portable to the caravan for the annual week-by-the-seaside-before-school-starts-back...to watch the rose of Tralee :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Advertisement