Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE tv schedules in the 80s and 90s

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Wow just came across this now
    Brought some memories
    One cartoon that often crops up for me was one with a spotted furry thing flying ina spaceship.. It often bugs me as I can never remember it properly. It could well have been in English and then rehashed as gaeilge at a later date. Was it simply 'spotty' or what was the name of it?
    I also remember and don't think it's been mentioned yet the bord gais housekeeper of the year (might have name slightly incorrect)
    Also remember the granny bringing the black n white portable to the caravan for the annual week-by-the-seaside-before-school-starts-back...to watch the rose of Tralee :-)

Ah yes the Calor Kosangas Housewife of the Year.
    Think the last one was 1985.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭George White

let's petition RTE to get their original stuff from the olden days on dvd. I know they're kind of nervous but ith enough support

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Imagine showing your kids "forty coats".....that was some trippy sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Imagine showing your kids "forty coats".....that was some trippy sh1t

Pats Chat. My mam used to be freaked out by that show. She told us recently, "He had a phone as a hat!"

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

let's petition RTE to get their original stuff from the olden days on dvd. I know they're kind of nervous but ith enough support

Sadly a lot of the older stuff was recorded over to save money instead of having to buy new tapes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Sadly a lot of the older stuff was recorded over to save money instead of having to buy new tapes.

That explains why we are not seeing reruns of a lot of RTE shows as filler inner especially in the summer. Although, I do remember Bracken (Glenroe under its original name) and Glenroe itself repeated on TG4.

Also, that 2004 classic The Big Bow Wow is available on DVD. I feel a little cheated though: Val Falvey TD is not available as far as I know and I am so sorry that the poor auld divil ended up in prison (series 2 is long overdue).

Someone else mentioned Forty Coats: yes, this was very much alluding to hippy drug culture just like a children's song from the same time 'Puff the magic dragon'. These are but two of the seemingly innocent 'children's fare' that in fact had references to a very adult world. Forty Coats was no Nidge for sure but he was perhaps the first native drug promoter to feature on RTE!

jeeeeeaysus.....fortycoats is on youtube!...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

The Murder She Wrote anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

That explains why we are not seeing reruns of a lot of RTE shows as filler inner especially in the summer. Although, I do remember Bracken (Glenroe under its original name) and Glenroe itself repeated on TG4.

Also, that 2004 classic The Big Bow Wow is available on DVD. I feel a little cheated though: Val Falvey TD is not available as far as I know and I am so sorry that the poor auld divil ended up in prison (series 2 is long overdue).

Someone else mentioned Forty Coats: yes, this was very much alluding to hippy drug culture just like a children's song from the same time 'Puff the magic dragon'. These are but two of the seemingly innocent 'children's fare' that in fact had references to a very adult world. Forty Coats was no Nidge for sure but he was perhaps the first native drug promoter to feature on RTE!

Just checked it out. Forty Coats was not Nidge but I forgot that the actor shared the same name as another famous Love/Hate character: FRAN Dempsey!

Just checked it out. Forty Coats was not Nidge but I forgot that the actor shared the same name as another famous Love/Hate character: FRAN Dempsey!
    feel very irish saying this....but is Fran anything to Ian???
    there's rumors he's ian father!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

feel very irish saying this....but is Fran anything to Ian???
    there's rumors he's ian father!

That's one of those stories that won't go away. Ian Dempsey say it ain't so ...

https://twitter.com/IanDempsey/status/6115413343
    Just so there is no confusion my Dad is most definitely NOT Fran Dempsey who played Fortycoats on TV - you'll have to trust me on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

LoganRice wrote: »
    The Murder She Wrote anybody?

One of the ITV channels shows this on a saturday morning if you need a fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Skid X wrote: »
    That's one of those stories that won't go away. Ian Dempsey say it ain't so ...

https://twitter.com/IanDempsey/status/6115413343

On a strange coincidence, i think that Eugene Lambert had a family member work on Ian's show at one time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

It's not as bad as people think.

Have a read of my posts on this thread State of the RTE archive

The main reason is this - RTE don't give a f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

Shane10 wrote: »
    aww man i used to love this, loved it :P

Does anyone know the piece of classical music used on the intro to italian soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

Shane10 wrote: »
    aww man i used to love this, loved it :P

Does anyone know the piece of classical music used on the intro to italian soccer on network 2 them Monday nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gleesoneoin

That calcio Italia back in the 90s was legendary stuff, zico, careca, maradona....!

none of that prancy celebrity crap we have now

Anyone have any links to this show? Been looking for it for years..or even the name?

Advertisement