Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

proof for Cos(A-B) using vectors.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

That's a nice proof!

Not sure whether it would be allowed! To be on the safe side, I would probably just learn it the normal way. It's not that bad - just remember that you are getting the distance twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

As far as I know that proof is allowed. Our teacher said he would'nt do the other proof from the trig. chapter because the vector one is much easier to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

The problem with that one is that the dot product is defined such that you use the cosine rule to show that it is equal to that. What you're doing is basically a circular proof. I think it is accepted though in the LC

I like this one better though. The first one.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_cosines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

This was discussed before:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055585026

My view is, as it was then, that I doubt that the proof would be accepted as it stands.

As Fringe has pointed out, various trigonometric identities are often used when you're proving the vector properties in the first place. If this formula or any that rely on it are used to do so then this proof would be a circular argument. You'd have to show, in my view, that the vector properties can be established without relying on the formula in question in order to make this proof satisfactory.

If you want to be sure, why don't you e-mail the SEC and ask them?

Advertisement