Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

converting external hard drive to NTFS

• 30-01-2010 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,
    i was thinking of changing the file system on my WD elements HD to NTFS from FAT32 using the convert command in command prompt but this worried me:
    Although the chance of corruption or data loss during a conversion is minimal, you should back up all data on the partition before you begin.
    i've already got loads of stuff backed up on the HD and i don't have a way to back up what's on the HD so what are the chances of corruption or data loss happening converting the file system? has anyone had any experience with this?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've done it a few times and never lost any data

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

whiteman19 wrote: »
    hi all,
    i was thinking of changing the file system on my WD elements HD to NTFS from FAT32 using the convert command in command prompt but this worried me:

i've already got loads of stuff backed up on the HD and i don't have a way to back up what's on the HD so what are the chances of corruption or data loss happening converting the file system? has anyone had any experience with this?

thanks

Yeah 99.9 times out of 100 it should be ok, however something like a powercut half through or an error in the middle of the process would put you in real trouble. If all possible a backup should be done before doing anything like this.

The risks are quite low but not zero by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i'll try it on monday. hopefully all goes well.
    thanks for all the info

Update: converted it last night and it worked. thanks for the help. :)

Advertisement