Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salmon

Options
  • 30-01-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

anyone catch any salmon yet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

my river isnt open till march

an the fish dont come till end of july

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hondababie

I thought the season wasn't started until Monday, Feb 1 ???

we have people fishing the end of march i dont start till july

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

alot of rivers open tommorow,il be fishing the blackwater a few days and then up to mayo to the owenmore next week. none of my local rivers open this year for salmon :mad:.ah well a good cause nd dat.hopefully they will next year on catch and release.

• Advertisement

our river is open to morrow but is is full of kelts [spent fish] catching a kelt is not good up here it angers a lot of people so most people dont start till march as our river is a late one its usless fishing there is an odd fish here and there but the good runs of fish dont start till end july

catching a kelt is just one of them things,part and parcel of spring fishing.Fair enough if your river DOES NOT get a spring run it might be frowned upon,but if theres fresh springers in the river it wouldnt be fair to do so, if theres half decent few its worth wetting a line imo,if your not in you cant win ,as long as you know how to handle a kelt it should be fine.you would be able to tell the difference in the fight,lget it in quick,and a quick catch and release without taking from the water.

where would be the best place to go fishing for spring fish without having to pay an arm an a leg for a days fishing

drowes is 25 a day,foxford water on the moy is 30 in feb to march,best of their spring fish would be march onward,but the price goes to 50 or so.the owenmore had a good spring run last year its 30 a day.
    im going to make the most of the free fishing on blackwater heading down tommorow,two days left!!!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Any clown who doesn't know the difference between a kelt and a fresh spring fish just should not be fishing for salmon, full stop. Catch and release should be compulsory on all rivers and loughs until at least the 1st of June. But as usual the Paddies are light years behind the rest of the developed world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Hondababie

CJ salmon, how was the Blackwater?? anything doing there at the moment?? No, i'm not going fishing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Here is a link to help in identifying some of the different stages in the life of an Atlantic Salmon:http://su.pr/31RLy0

wgsten

isupportcatchandrelease.jpg

http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

Hondababie wrote: »
    CJ salmon, how was the Blackwater?? anything doing there at the moment?? No, i'm not going fishing lol

we where mainly spinning because of very high water and poor clarity,conditions for the fly wer not great (although i did swing a few ).
    a few kelts being caught.my friend connected with what he thought was a fresh fish but lost it after a short fight.no fresh fish landed but a good day out.
    hopefully more productive in mayo on friday,hope to report back eith some pics!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

Caught a few Slats already this year (all 5/6 lbs) and looked like silver eels............ good fight though and they looked in good condition. Should be returning back to sea now with these latest floods ... hopefully!!!

any springers yet? seems runs are poor nationally thus far.:(

noting yet,my mate had a few kelts,same story everywhere,havnt got out as much as i would like though!,,does anyone know if the boyne still gets a few springers? would make a change from going south,,some fresh fish where seen in the slaney, and loads of kelts.
    great to see fish in this river!! hopefully it wil be a good spring fishery again in the future :)

think the boyne is still closed to salmon fishing, or is it catch and release this year? i am not sure.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

think the boyne is still closed to salmon fishing, or is it catch and release this year? i am not sure.

The Boyne has been catch & release for the past couple of years. Seems to be paying off as there are really good runs and plenty of spents.

where would be the best for spring fishing on the boyne? ive heard the navan anglers is good salmon water,any springers last year??
    going to give it a throw over the weekend ,if thers much any bit of a spring run its worth a go,,closer than the blackwater to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Any clown who doesn't know the difference between a kelt and a fresh spring fish just should not be fishing for salmon, full stop. Catch and release should be compulsory on all rivers and loughs until at least the 1st of June. But as usual the Paddies are light years behind the rest of the developed world.

Catching kelts is a natural part of spring salmon fishing. Around 3% of kelts who return to sea will return to spawn for a second time. In my experience there is a high degree of respect among salmon anglers for kelts as befits a fish that has made a multi thousand mile journey to spawn on its native stream.

However I dont agree at all with you on your second point ironbluedun. To call for compulsaory catch and release on all salmon fisheries until 1st of June is in my opinion based on an ill informed viewpoint. Each salmon fishery has differnet runs and differing opening seasons which reflect these runs. There is more to salmon fishing in Ireland than the grilse run. There are many rivers who experience their peak run before June 1st.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
Advertisement