Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1 gadgets - help sourcing online

Options
  • 30-01-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My son (9) wants to try his hand at being a school boy entrepreneur. He'd like to purchase funky little gadgets for up to €1 including delivery (I know this means he'll have to buy a good few to average out the P&P) and sell them for €2 to his mates in school.

Can anyone here recommend a site where I can order such items? We looked on www.dealextreme.com who have loads of cool gadgets but can't find anything for less than €1. The cheapest stuff is around $1.50.

Any input which helps to facilitate this little project is much appreciated.

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

How about These little guys?

I'm sure he's have no problem shifting these. And $.78 is something like €.60

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Brilliant ideas, thanks. Went with the black keyrings. I personally thought the little pigs were deadly but my son vetoed them saying they were too girlie and his mates wouldn't buy them. I guess he knows his market!!

Aprpeciate the input from you both.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

BenEadir wrote: »
    Brilliant ideas, thanks. Went with the black keyrings. I personally thought the little pigs were deadly but my son vetoed them saying they were too girlie and his mates wouldn't buy them. I guess he knows his market!!

Aprpeciate the input from you both.

Ben

Maybe you might suggest that customers don't have have to be just his mates. Girls have money too !
    Fair play to him for junior entrepreneurship tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

BonzoDog2, thanks for the post. He's in an all boys school so to use that awful phrase, he's going to target the 'low hanging fruit' first. His sister is in Junior Infants in an all girls school, perhaps “ should help him appoint her as his exclusive agent for her school? She'll need independent advice on the distribution agreement, fancy representing her in the transaction??? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭kdobey

I have to say while I appreciate your intention to educate your son about the real world I have to say I have mixed feelings about this project.

Encouraging your son to take money off of other 8 and 9 year olds seems a little bit off to me - not to mention the hefty Celtic tiger era 100%+ mark lesson he's learning. Would the child not be better off kicking football with this friends and learning about make strong healthy relationships with other boys his own age ?

Alternative learning about exchanging work and effort in return for financial gain (hover the house for mum and dad and get 2 euro etc) ?

All that aside, I really wonder if the school would be happy about your son operating a business on the school premises ? Also your son will now be in school with money in his pocket and others will know it - will he become a target ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

kdobey wrote: »
    I have to say while I appreciate your intention to educate your son about the real world I have to say I have mixed feelings about this project.

Encouraging your son to take money off of other 8 and 9 year olds seems a little bit off to me - not to mention the hefty Celtic tiger era 100%+ mark lesson he's learning. Would the child not be better off kicking football with this friends and learning about make strong healthy relationships with other boys his own age ?

Alternative learning about exchanging work and effort in return for financial gain (hover the house for mum and dad and get 2 euro etc) ?

All that aside, I really wonder if the school would be happy about your son operating a business on the school premises ? Also your son will now be in school with money in his pocket and others will know it - will he become a target ?
    You've been to school right?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭kdobey

alan4cult wrote: »
    You've been to school right?

LOL
    I have and I defiantly didn't have money in my pocket at age 9 !! :)

My wife thinks I'm mad on this one - she thinks that it is a valuable lesson. So i'll have to think about that one. I still think the school won't be pleased about the wee lad doing business in the school.

I'm 2 years off my oldest kid being 9 - so perhaps my perspective will change by then.

A friend of mine tells a funny story about his school boy entrepreneurship. He saw a certain gap in the market for a certain type of magazine boys might be interested in. While he's quite ashamed of it now - it does make for a funny story (and he made good money for a while until he got busted).

My niece's schools in London discourage children from bring there mobile phones to school because it made them targets (for theft etc).

Advertisement