Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary

Options
  • 30-01-2010 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I'm in fifth year an would like to do Veterinary.

I want to take up Agricultural Science as an extra subject and was wondering if this would be helpful in college?

Also, if there are Veterinary students here could they tell me what their timetables were like in first year? For example, what time did ye get off every day, especially what time did your lectures end on a Friday?

Also, would on-campus accommodation be better than renting, or would it be too noisy to study?

Also, do you like your course?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Yes Ag Science would be very beneficial, I didnt do it and was slightly at a loss. But as with everything they do start from basics and you will learn it even if you didnt do it.
    Timetable in first year is light enough (in comparison with the other years, but still more intense than many other courses), first Semester you should have Fridays off. Second semester Friday was until about 4pm.
    The timetable varies from week to week but on average in first year about 30 hours a week...plus...study! Quite a lot of it.
    Yes I do love the course, but it requires a lot of commitment (and there are times when I wonder what Im doing- but those moments pass). Many holidays will have to be spent gaining work experience, progressivly moreso as you progress through the years.
    I've never lived on campus, so I cant really comment on it. But I do know that 1st year campus accommodation can tend to be noisy...but there is always the library for studying. Living on campus is a great way to meet new people when you dont know anyone (so people tell me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MaighEoAbu

Ado86 wrote: »
    Yes Ag Science would be very beneficial, I didnt do it and was slightly at a loss. But as with everything they do start from basics and you will learn it even if you didnt do it.
    Timetable in first year is light enough (in comparison with the other years, but still more intense than many other courses), first Semester you should have Fridays off. Second semester Friday was until about 4pm.
    The timetable varies from week to week but on average in first year about 30 hours a week...plus...study! Quite a lot of it.
    Yes I do love the course, but it requires a lot of commitment (and there are times when I wonder what Im doing- but those moments pass). Many holidays will have to be spent gaining work experience, progressivly moreso as you progress through the years.
    I've never lived on campus, so I cant really comment on it. But I do know that 1st year campus accommodation can tend to be noisy...but there is always the library for studying. Living on campus is a great way to meet new people when you dont know anyone (so people tell me).

Thanks so much for your reply!

What are the other days in the week like? For example, you wouldn't have to go to college in the evening would you? Or would you get off at four?

Also, would all those thirty hours be in lectures or would there be breaks?

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions!

The latest that lectures/practicals could end is 6pm. In first year there a numerous practicals and these usually run in the afternoons. They try to schedule lectures for the mornings and practicals in the afternoon.
    From what I remember we were in until 6pm two days a week during the first semester. Lectures start at either 9 or 10am (they start at 8am from 3rd year onwards). There are breaks of course during the day, not massively amounts of them though. But first semester you have fridays off, so it all makes up for that!

Thanks again!

Sorry, just one more question! What time would you get off on a Thursday in first semester? ( Just so I can calculate what time I'd be home in the West at! )

Thanks so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Just on this issue, I think agricultural science is far less important than biology is.
    Ag Science comes in useful for animal husbandry particularly, but if you're from a farm, or if you do work experience, you may mack up for this very easily. And the lecturers don't presume any prior knowledge of agricultural systems, so don't stress it about the ag science.

I didn't do biology for the leaving cert, and I started Veterinary Medicine thinking that Mitosis was a disease. Definitely study biology.

Can't believe they get Fridays off now, Thursday nights must be mental. We used to have sheepdog cadaver named Timmy waiting for us first thing on a Friday morning.

• Advertisement

The timetable isn't exactly set in stone, and next year will be different - as far as I know isn't next year when it becomes a 6 year course for undergraduates....so all these things might change.
    Not being snooty but you shouldn't be basing your college choices on what the timetable is like. Im still commuting in my 4th year...so to be living close to campus you would be thought to be fairly lucky....
    As the OP said, biology is very useful, I did biology for the LC was fine, but some of my friends didnt have biology and really struggled.

The timetable isn't exactly set in stone, and next year will be different - as far as I know isn't next year when it becomes a 6 year course for undergraduates....so all these things might change.
    Not being snooty but you shouldn't be basing your college choices on what the timetable is like. Im still commuting in my 4th year...so to be living close to campus you would be thought to be fairly lucky....
    As the OP said, biology is very useful, I did biology for the LC was fine, but some of my friends didnt have biology and really struggled.

Thanks again!

No, I have already chosen Veterinary, and thought I'd ask about the timetable!

I didn't realise that it's changing to a six year course next year. Is there any reason for this?

I am not acutally sure why there has been a change but some vague reason about the course being too condensed and to allow more time to gain work experience, if its not next year then it will be the year after.
    Contact John Buckley, he's the guy who knows most things about veterinary, john.buckley@ucd.ie.

I am not acutally sure why there has been a change but some vague reason about the course being too condensed and to allow more time to gain work experience, if its not next year then it will be the year after.
    Contact John Buckley, he's the guy who knows most things about veterinary, john.buckley@ucd.ie.

Thanks so much again!

Last question, are there a lot of other girls in the course? I'm a girl, but I heard that most students used to be lads?

Yup most of my class are girls, theres approx 80 people in my year, and I'd say 60 or so are female!

• Advertisement

Yup most of my class are girls, theres approx 80 people in my year, and I'd say 60 or so are female!

Ah cool! At least I won't be a minority! :p Are they nice though? Not kind of talk-behind-your-back, jealous types?!

Thanks again! Sorry about all the questions!

Yes, unfortunately the class is a bit like that.
    With so many girls that tends to happen.
    Its a very competitive course, the nature of the people who get into the course are all very hard working and driven so this continues on in university.
    But you just make your friends, focus on your own career and forget about everyone else.
    Thats what Ive done anyway !

Yes, unfortunately the class is a bit like that.
    With so many girls that tends to happen.
    Its a very competitive course, the nature of the people who get into the course are all very hard working and driven so this continues on in university.
    But you just make your friends, focus on your own career and forget about everyone else.
    Thats what Ive done anyway !

That's a pity! Hopefully I'll get in with a nice group anyway! Lads are usually better than girls with regards to sincerity, so maybe it would be a good thing if more lads joined the course I suppose!

Thanks for you reply again!

MaighEoAbu wrote: »
    Ah cool! At least I won't be a minority! :p Are they nice though? Not kind of talk-behind-your-back, jealous types?!

Thanks again! Sorry about all the questions!
    Veterinary doesn't really get divided by a male-girl divide, I guess it's the fact that the vet college is like a tiny village, and also the huge amount of interaction in lab/ anatomy/ farm classes. Also, lots of the girls who study it tend to be at least somewhat boyish (in a good way!)

The only divide I ever witnessed was one between the 'diligent' students who studied quite a bit and could be competitive, and those who didn't take study to such a serious level.
    The Veterinary College with all of its pressures and commitments is challenging, but it's also a very fun, very sociable place to go to college where you can have a lot of fun and make amazing lifelong friends.

My first week in first year, a final year advised me to work hard but also to play hard. I would advise the same to anyone taking on Veterinary Medicine.

Veterinary doesn't really get divided by a male-girl divide, I guess it's the fact that the vet college is like a tiny village, and also the huge amount of interaction in lab/ anatomy/ farm classes. Also, lots of the girls who study it tend to be at least somewhat boyish (in a good way!)

The only divide I ever witnessed was one between the 'diligent' students who studied quite a bit and could be competitive, and those who didn't take study to such a serious level.
    The Veterinary College with all of its pressures and commitments is challenging, but it's also a very fun, very sociable place to go to college where you can have a lot of fun and make amazing lifelong friends.

My first week in first year, a final year advised me to work hard but also to play hard. I would advise the same to anyone taking on Veterinary Medicine.

Thanks for the reply!

If you don't mind me asking, which accommodation did you stay in? On campus, or renting? A lot of people say on-campus is the best but I'm worried about the noise levels!

Also, did you take Agricultural Science yourself?
    Did you think it was even a little boost to have done it?

Finally, if I qualify as a Vet, can I choose where to work? Which area for example?

Thanks so much Red and Ado! Tis a great help when you can have people with first hand experience to answer your questions!

P.S. What's the study hours like? Would you be studying non-stop?

Also do ye think the points are going to go up in the next two years because of the recession?

Thanks again!

If you don't mind me asking, which accommodation did you stay in? On campus, or renting? A lot of people say on-campus is the best but I'm worried about the noise levels!
    It depends on you as an individual.

It's true that student residences can be party hardy, personally i really liked that and loved the time I spent there. On the other hand, a friend of mine, who was quite studious, hated it because of the parties (she actually went on to board with some nuns, no joke)

People go kinda crazy when they get into the vet college, I don't know what it is. I know I became far more sociable and extroverted after I went in, so did many of my mates, it does have that effect. So even if you think you might hate halls, it could be the best thing that ever happened to you. It's worth the chance imo, and you can always study in the library if you need to. It's one of those things that's just part of the college process,imo.
    Also, did you take Agricultural Science yourself?
    No I didn't, I did chemistry, physics and app maths as my science sunjects, so you can imagine how little biology I had - but it was perfectly fine. First year is the easiest anyway.
    Did you think it was even a little boost to have done it?
    Yes if you come from the city, or don't have much farm knowledge. But I bought the ag science book in 1st Vet and it wasnt a big help.
    Finally, if I qualify as a Vet, can I choose where to work? Which area for example?
    Anywhere in the EU, you can also practice in the USA without having to study for the licence to practice as a foreign graduate.

We are one of only 5 vet colleges in the EU with this accreditation, it's very much an important feature of the course.
    P.S. What's the study hours like? Would you be studying non-stop?
    A few hours every evening, but you could easily take a few evenings off during quiet periods. But I'm finished there now, so i'm not sure what the current status is for first years, maybe some other posters could answer that better.
    I have never known any significant number of vet students - in the years before me or the years after me - to be studying non stop, however.
    Also do ye think the points are going to go up in the next two years because of the recession?
    I think that is pretty much certain, but the nature of the points as they are, at least they can't go up a whole lot!

It depends on you as an individual.

It's true that student residences can be party hardy, personally i really liked that and loved the time I spent there. On the other hand, a friend of mine, who was quite studious, hated it because of the parties (she actually went on to board with some nuns, no joke)

People go kinda crazy when they get into the vet college, I don't know what it is. I know I became far more sociable and extroverted after I went in, so did many of my mates, it does have that effect. So even if you think you might hate halls, it could be the best thing that ever happened to you. It's worth the chance imo, and you can always study in the library if you need to. It's one of those things that's just part of the college process,imo.

No I didn't, I did chemistry, physics and app maths as my science sunjects, so you can imagine how little biology I had - but it was perfectly fine. First year is the easiest anyway.

Yes if you come from the city, or don't have much farm knowledge. But I bought the ag science book in 1st Vet and it wasnt a big help.

Anywhere in the EU, you can also practice in the USA without having to study for the licence to practice as a foreign graduate.

We are one of only 5 vet colleges in the EU with this accreditation, it's very much an important feature of the course.

A few hours every evening, but you could easily take a few evenings off during quiet periods. But I'm finished there now, so i'm not sure what the current status is for first years, maybe some other posters could answer that better.
    I have never known any significant number of vet students - in the years before me or the years after me - to be studying non stop, however.
    I think that is pretty much certain, but the nature of the points as they are, at least they can't go up a whole lot!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, one last question, should I look over a few of the first year Veterinary books after the Leaving Cert, before I go to college if I get there, just to get a bit of an understanding?

Thanks!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, one last question, should I look over a few of the first year Veterinary books after the Leaving Cert, before I go to college if I get there, just to get a bit of an understanding?

Thanks!
    No way, enjoy your Summer, you may not have another totally free Summer for quite some time!

No way, enjoy your Summer, you may not have another totally free Summer for quite some time!
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mrs Brightside

Hey just cam across this conversation and ive applied for veterinary too!!:D
    All the advice has bin really helful and i kinda hav a better insight into what i shud be expecting now! thanks u guys (or girls!)
    Hope to see u nxt yr Miss mayo!:) lol!

• Advertisement

Hey just cam across this conversation and ive applied for veterinary too!!:D
    All the advice has bin really helful and i kinda hav a better insight into what i shud be expecting now! thanks u guys (or girls!)
    Hope to see u nxt yr Miss mayo!:) lol!

Hiya Mrs Brightside!

I'm in fifth year now so won't be doing my Leaving Cert until 2011, so please God I'll be in Vet college with ya ( but will probably be a year behind! ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mrs Brightside

Hiya Mrs Brightside!

I'm in fifth year now so won't be doing my Leaving Cert until 2011, so please God I'll be in Vet college with ya ( but will probably be a year behind! ).
    O rit cool!! :) Best o luck wit it nxt yr then!!haha :)

Advertisement