Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conical Spacers

Options
  • 30-01-2010 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I am looking to get a slightly lower bar position on my MTB and have all the spacers gone already but there was a 25mm one of those headset caps/conical spacers there which I thought I could replace with a 15mm one of these Ritchey conical spacers.

Well, it turns out there is a slight difference that makes it not fit well at all! The original one has a sort of lip at the end of it the comes down over the top of the headset and covers it by coming almost flush with the frame. The new one however is just flat underneath and doesn't come down over the headset parts, leaving it quite exposed and looking ugle but as it cannot slide down the steerer the full way there is actually no change in the bar height or spacers needed!

So, are these parts headset specific or is there one I can get in the 15mm size that will have the lip of the original one do the job properly? Thanks in advance ;)

PLEASE SEE PHOTOS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

I know that Cane Creek integrated headset upper covers have a lip as I fitted an IS-8 last year and they are supplied with shim washers to enable the right fit (Nos 6&7 here http://www.canecreek.com/manuals/Headset_Instructions/S_Series/IS_Instructions.pdf ). What make is the original?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

lescol wrote: »
    What make is the original?

The make of the orginal 25mm conical spacer is it? If so, I presume it is either a Giant own brand one or else an unbranded Cane Creek...it is the stock setup on a 2009 Giant XTC 3 in case you are wondering! Thanks for your help, I genuinely really appreciate it!

I might just have to live with a slightly higher bar position (and yes, they are flat bars already and not the original risers). P.S. I hope to get some of that 3cm of excess steerer tube and spacers cut off at some point...I recently got it done of the road bike and it looks so much better! Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/18947/Giant-XTC-Headset.html looks lower than your current set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Thanks for that but I will probably just live with it if I have to go buying a new headset! I really appreciate your help though, cheers :)

Advertisement