Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good monitor for a Mac?

Options
  • 30-01-2010 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm thinking of buying the Apple Mac mini and I was looking for a suitable monitor to go with it. The Apple's monitor is ridiculously expensive (849eur!) and so I was looking for something a little cheaper. Preferably something around 300eur maybe 400max if its worth it. I don't want something big either. 21-24" should be more than enough for my needs. And I'ld also like one thats HD cuz I work with a lot of HD content (pics and videos)...

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

LOL, can't believe someone with a Mac posted in the Building & Upgrading forum :D

Sorry for not being helpful, I'm just in stitches

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'm just looking for a good monitor, thats it...

I'm really not into "building" PC's.
    I work a lot with music and video editing and so I prefer apple's software and the interface. Not gonna get into PC vs Mac debate cuz I think both are good for the specific user. For my needs I prefer mac.

Anyway that aside, as I said, just looking for a good monitor which would work with a mac. Dunno if you need a specific type of monitor to connect to the mac or you could work away with any sort of monitor with the right inputs. Hence why I'm posting here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

there are very good retailers on line.

www.komplett.ie

www.elara.ie

www.dabs.ie

www.ebuyer.co.uk (uk site but they send to ireland)

Look on any of them and you will find what you need.

I tend to buy from Komplett and Ebuyer myself but if Elara is cheaper I buy from them too.

If You work with video then You're not going to want a TN panel. I got a 24" Samsung TN Panel which is fine for me to sit in front of and play games, but it doesn't have a great viewing angle (stuff looks darker when viewed from off centre) and is limited in the amount of colour it displays (fine for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    If You work with video then You're not going to want a TN panel. I got a 24" Samsung TN Panel which is fine for me to sit in front of and play games, but it doesn't have a great viewing angle (stuff looks darker when viewed from off centre) and is limited in the amount of colour it displays (fine for me)

Thanks, cause I work with video and photographs mainly, I'ld like a monitor which could reproduce the colors quite accurately at a reasonable price. So that would be what I'ld mainly want from the monitor. Good clarity and color reproduction.

There's a lot of choice on those websites which kinda makes it hard to decide which one would be best for me... Which is why I need ye guys help cuz I presume people here have decent knowledge about these sorta things...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Any DVI/HDMI PC monitor would be no problem. Personally I have nothing but good thing to say about LG or Samsung Synchmaster monitors(Shop around for the best deals). The mac mini you would need a mini DisplayPort to HDMI/DVI adapter which I presume you probably already have.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=462227

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167744

Careful, most Samsung Syncmaster are TN panels

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Careful, most Samsung Syncmaster are TN panels

Aren't non TN panels quite rare in the 22" -24" inch bracket though (and expensive)?

I was still typing while the video / photo thing was being mentioned :). Also didn't see the OPs budget of 300-400 until now so that changes the rules a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

You want an IPS monitor, OP. This one is around €300, but it's not HD.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179089
    On the other hand this is 1920 x 1200 but slightly out of your price bracket.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172798

Advertisement