Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 7-series post 100K miles

• 30-01-2010 7:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭

Would buyers go for 7-series with post 100K

I have been offered a deal with a chauffeur company to take some off their hands, all 2006 dec/reg 3.0l diesel auto models in silver, ranging from 70k to 100k to 122k and 144k and 162k.

However, just wanted to throw it out there to the learned motor boards first: how likely are punters to go for a 7-series with post 100K miles? Obviously for each car the price is about 25% off carzone market values, but do high miles put people way off, even if there is a good price drop, how far would prices have to fall to attract buyers, its €32,000 bottom price 06 out in the market place, Im trying to work out the market value of such high milers - there is no book value really?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

100k ain't high miles for this car so long as it's been serviced and maintained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Cars&cars

Hi - ye 100k is about what I was thinking as reasonable, they all have full BMW service books stamped every 15-20k miles. They really are top condition, but would the average punter go for one with 144k or 160k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Will you offer some sort of warranty?

Good question: warranty on 144k or 162k - Id imagine a 3 month warranty, but might want to just sell as seen due to miles -- will have to look at that more closely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Are they early models? Some of the early ones suffered horrendous electronic & software issues, that would put me off big time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

How much can you get them for is the question,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'd say a lot of people would find paying €1566 annual motor tax a bit off-putting during a recession.

hi - really didnt know about electrical faults, thanks for that - they are late Dec/06. I was thinking warranty would be tricky because the amount of computer and electrical devices, if any went wrong its an expensive job to fix, so if I do sign on to this deal, we will offer mechanical warranty I think, but they really are top notch cars, service history is as good as Ive seen, just dont want to land myself with a few 7-series and have them sitting around. Thus wanted to get a feel for the market for them and peoples views on high miles. I was thinking the high miles lowers the price and probably brings them down into the range of some buyers that might want one but might not be able to fork out €32K + , but at the same time Im trying to work out whether its worth our while also. I was even tempted to nab one for myself, they are monsters and if I could get one of my family members to do the driving one day, Ill jump in the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The sort of person who is unafraid of high mileage and likes used luxury barges is often a canny individual who likes a bargain. IMO this sort of buyer would tend to go for something older and cheaper than a 06 7 series. Also this model of 7 series has a reputation for being complex and potentially very expensive if it goes wrong.

OTOH, the car is too old and too high mileage for a fatcat.

Basically the car is in a sort of "no mans land".

I was just thinking today - what are the chances of less than honest buyers picking these sort of cars up, with circa 100K-140k miles and then banging the miles down to 70-80k? The potential profit difference must be very tempting to the less morally concerned out there. I mean a late 2006 model in top condition, its not how I go, but just wonder how many think the opposite way? thats another thread

...good summary BrianD3, Im tending to think the same. Part of me wants to buy one or two have them to drive around in, but business needs prevail, might not be wise to target one or two potential customers, when I could be investing money elsewhere and attracting the masses as they say. Still I might take one or two as a trial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The sort of person who is unafraid of high mileage and likes used luxury barges is often a canny individual who likes a bargain. IMO this sort of buyer would tend to go for something older and cheaper than a 06 7 series. Also this model of 7 series has a reputation for being complex and potentially very expensive if it goes wrong.

OTOH, the car is too old and too high mileage for a fatcat.

Basically the car is in a sort of "no mans land".

With ya on that one Brian! +1

can get 2006 bmw 730d in uk with 130k for 14000 pounds ie 16100 euro,,i have no idea of duty..

€9750 duty wise --roughly, so lets say that 130,000 miles for €25K-26k - would it sell?

Cars&cars wrote: »
    €9750 duty wise --roughly
    that must be based on pretty high omsp...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Or you could buy a Skoda Superb and become a deity around here. Far more street cred than a mere BMW.

€9750 duty wise --roughly, so lets say that 130,000 miles for €25K-26k - would it sell?

nope wouldnt see a profit in trying to sell,,as you would need to be asking 29,000,,and selling for 27,000. not worth the hassle or risk,,,
    if you could turn a profit at 26,000 asking price then i,m sure it would sell,
    you really need to be buying those high milers at 22k each,,
    i have also see these models with 250,000 miles in uk with full history,and still driving like new,,,so miles is not really an issue,but it is a reason to get em dog cheap:D

hi vrt will differ depending on spec but on a 3.0l diesel auto with hige ones im looking at - its €9600, might have an appeal later but its not far off €10,000, and you never know if Rosslare will look at extras, like tv package and so on.

If I could get them dog cheap - Id take the 5 of them, but allas I have to pay the pipper too, I might be able to turn a small profit at €26000, would this be its settle value, Im sure offer at €26k punter will haggle for €24k so youd have to be putting it on €26995, and looking to settle at €25995 if lucky.

Taking on that many might be too much, they would be a slow seller & you would be multiplying that by 5. Also in mind that a 2008 model 730D would be €1050 to tax whereas your potential 2006 730D would be €1,293, over 25% difference per annum.
    I would agree with BrianD3's thoughts about "no mans land" & if you add the road tax issue in then it gets further complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I consider a low mile 2006 730d to be under 30k now and considerably under by summer time. The v high mile cars really would need to be silly cheap to bother with. 70 & 100k is not so bad but 140 & 160k would have to be very cheap to shift.
    Also seeing as these are ex chauffeur, are they long wheelbase? If so, walk away.

i take it you sell cars,,and have forecourt/?>?
    why not take see if they will give you one to try and sell for them,,agree price before hand,,then try sell at a profit ,,,everyones happy then,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If I could get them dog cheap - Id take the 5 of them

What's dog cheap?

I reckon you won't be able to sell the 160k miles one for €20k...

Whats the trade value of these cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'd say at the the right price these 7 series would walk off the forecourt, with the service history wouldnt the higher mileage cars have all potential issues more or less sorted.

Can they fit 3 baby seats in the back..SOLD!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

20-24k depending on spec/milage.

Have you experience in selling this type of car before? Don't know many dealers that would take on 5 x 7er's at the moment without potential buyers (Taxis/hotel cars etc)

I think if you need to ask on a forum whether to buy them or not...... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

'06 730D with full BMWSH and 160K miles.

I wouldn't offer more than 12k TBH. Any potential buyer is unlikely to be a private type so the mileage will be a killer.

hi forumees,

thanks for the feedback, I have come to a decision, Im going to give them a miss, I might take one of them just as a luxury run around, I might even take a very high miler for that. The rest I shall leave and let someone else have them. The figures were not looking too good, and listening to what people say on here, it would probably be a tricky sell. I think the road tax issue is a problem but I think anyone looking for that extra experience of driving a 7-series might put up with the higher road tax, ie they adjust that into their thinking.

It was an interesting discussion - thanks for all the responses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

hi forumees,

thanks for the feedback, I have come to a decision, Im going to give them a miss, I might take one of them just as a luxury run around, I might even take a very high miler for that. The rest I shall leave and let someone else have them. The figures were not looking too good, and listening to what people say on here, it would probably be a tricky sell. I think the road tax issue is a problem but I think anyone looking for that extra experience of driving a 7-series might put up with the higher road tax, ie they adjust that into their thinking.

It was an interesting discussion - thanks for all the responses!

Thanks for the feedback. You might have regretted going for them :)

Now do the decent thing and give us some feedback too. How much would you have got them for? How much would the 160k miles one have set you back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A wise decision in the end I think, you'd never get rid of a 150k+ mile 7 series in this country for anything more than €20k, I think you would have been looking at anything between €17k-€19k to have any chance of shifting them.

Shame really, because a 2006+ E65 represents great value at the moment if you were buying.

Good choice. The advice here was slightly different than would offered to someone buying just one, and not looking to sell it on.
    I would consider taking a punt on a 100k+ miles 730d but I would be safe in the knowledge that I would be married to it for a considerable length of time or I would lose my shirt in the divorce! :)
    borrowed one for a weekend & they are nice, but it is the first car I have driven where I thought it would have been nicer sitting in the back...

• Advertisement

Does the magician tell how the rabbit got in the hat?....

ok roughly: would have figured them to go on sale

100K miles for something like €28995 sale price
    120k miles for something like €26995 sale price
    144k miles for something like €24995 sake price
    160K miles for something like €23995 sale price

so would of been higher than folks were suggesting

Probably wise to give a miss. I cannot see them making those prices. There are low mile cars for sale at 32k asking, very likely available for much less straight. I would say the above cars might sell at prices from 27.5k for the 100k miles to about 18k for the 160k miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of people would find paying €1566 annual motor tax a bit off-putting during a recession.

Road Tax is 1170 I think. Still high though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

could you not sell them on owners behalf and agree a commission? that way no risk for you and they have someone to do the shifting for them... Hard to believe, yotu could conceivably buy 5 x 7 series for the price of one only four years ago! A dealer wouldnt offer anything near their market value. The only way would be to sell them direct or to approach a chauffeur company...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It sounds like the profit you would have made from them wouldn't have been significantly over the profit you would make from something that would be a safer bet. Risk can be good, but only if the potential profit increases along with it.

Advertisement