Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CarVan Queries....

• 30-01-2010 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭

I need to get a diesel for the mileage I'm now doing with my job
    (40,000 miles annually)

I've got about 2.5k all in as a budget (DOE/nct service it etc)

That seems to give me a few choices

Year 00-03 with Mileage of about 100k for the following

Nissan Almera Carvan 2.2
    VW Caddy Panel van 1.9 TDI
    Citreon Berlingo / Partner Panel 1.9 HDI
    Opel Combi 1.3 or 1.7 td

I don't need to carry too much - mainly computer bits.
    But comfort & Reliability are both important....

I know nothing about the Almera's & have been told to watch the timing belts in caddy's. Like a carvan more than a panelvan I think but choice seems to be limited.

Is taxing/insuring an issue as this would be firstime insurance on a van? Have about 9 NCT years with my own car policy.

What is people's opinions on the above or can anyone recommend what van is best for what I need. Any review links?
    I travel the country so mileage will go high on any I buy.
    Many Thanks

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

At that age they will be high milers and most likely rough.

what about golf corolla astra megane vans.

TBH I wouldn't like to have to do 40k miles in any of them.

The auctions might be worth a look, you may get newer and less mileage vans for your money.

Merlin in Naas always have loads of vans.

If an Almera van feels slugish it usually means the mass air flow is shot, common problem. about 300 quid to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Caddy wouldnt be good for you as they rattle a lot in the back like all vans that size unless it has a great sound system. The mate got a 03 berlingo for 3 grand in uk it is as tight as a button. Have a look at www.autotrader.co.uk

Advertisement