Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRAVEL INSURANCE CLAIM PROBLEM...

Options
  • 30-01-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi folks,

I am currently on a trip in the UK. Three nights ago my laptop bag containing laptop, ipod, two external hard drives, CDs, small amount of cash AND my passport was stolen from a theatre. The CC TV has footage of the guy taking it from a backstage ( supposedly secure ) area. Police came and took the details, then issued me with a crime number.

Contacted the travel insurance company ( Elvia / Mondial ) who appear to have an office in Dublin. I'd read the policy document and believed my laptop etc would be covered under 'personal possessions' which goes up to around 2,250euro. They informed me that the items I had stolen are classed as 'valuables' and are only covered in TOTAL up to 420euro.

Needless to say I was gutted but went ahead and had them email me out the claim forms. I have a receipt for the laptop and should have Visa statements to back up the other items, but I won't be able to submit these until I get home in two weeks.

How would people suggest I pursue this? The distinction they are making between personal possessions and valuables is a fuzzy area and I'm sure it's a tactic they pull to try and fob people off. I'm only looking to get a reasonable amount back, but 420euro wouldn't even be one third of my loss.

They say they'll cover the passport replacement and costs incurred to obtain it..which is something at least...

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

have you looked at your house hold policy--it may provide cover for your laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 varney

We've had to claim three times on our home insurance in the last three years - a tumble dryer which went on fire, my previous laptop which was knocked off a breakfast bar and smashed on the floor, and then last autumn water damage to our kitchen floor during the torrential rain.

We don't have the laptop specifically mentioned in the contents of our home insurance, and besides, isn't travel insurance supposed to be for this very kind of situation when you're on a trip? I'd feel bad trying to claim off our house insurance for a fourth time, especially when I've had travel insurance for years and never had to claim off of it.

Advertisement