Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combining two Semi D's together

Options
  • 30-01-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

How easy would it be to combine 2 semi D's together? Obviously there would be a lot of variables here, but the bacis of my Idea

1) Knock the dividing wall at the door, say 6 feet (ground floor)
    2) Knock the dividing wall at another point to create an internal doorthe door, say 3 feet (ground floor)
    3) Remove 1 stairs
    4) Knock the dividing wall upstairsr, say 10 feet (1st floor)
    5) Remove one Bathroom, with shower, sink and WC, to be replaced by stairs to attic
    6) Add a couple of studded internal walls, say 3
    7) Heating (gas) would have to be routed to one point
    8) Some electrics would have to be done
    9) Close up one front door

Each houses is about 900sq

Is this a €0k job, or would you be looking at +€200k?

Just trying to get a feel, if its worth it

(Maybe this should be in a different forum - Construction/Planning/Costs?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You may need planning permission as you are removing a habitable dwelling, although there is case law against that.

Its just possible that you may also need a fire certificate.

I imagine you are looking for €20,000-50,000 depending on how much string you use.

Moved from Accommodation & Property

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You don't need planning permission (providing the buildings are not listed or protected structures) and a fire safety certificate is not needed.

Every job is different but I carried out these works on a 2,000 sq ft overall dormer structure for €27,000, the job took 12 weeks and finished December 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

Thanks for the replies.

Can anyone clarify the issue of "supporting walls". From a layman, I would imagine that the dividing walls between a house are classified as such? Would knocking what I have detailed have a negative effect? For info, overall house is about 50ft deep, so I'd be knocking 2 holes on ground floor (10 & 3 feet) and 3 holes on 1st floor (I'd guess there would be 30feet taken out)

Most of the effort and hence cost I see is knocking down and finishing up the edges of same. How complicated can routing gas through one location (as opposed to 2 as of now)?

To do the attic reusing the stairs, bannisters from 1st house, creating one large room, en suite and a storage room, another €20k ?

Poor Uncle Tom you seem the guy I need to contact if this project ever gets lift off..

One thing. They are the same building, a matching pair, aren't they? Not separate semi-Ds? :D
    Stingray wrote: »
    overall house is about 50ft deep, so I'd be knocking 2 holes on ground floor (10 & 3 feet) and 3 holes on 1st floor (I'd guess there would be 30feet taken out)
    50ft deep seems inconsistent with the floor area unless there is a substantial return / kitchen extension. Anything is possible, not everything is practical or cost effective. Removing that much wall potentially means installing foundations and a steel frame to the support the rest of the structure.

Prices is very much down to the final design and accuracy is difficult in the absence of drawings.

Gas shouldn't be a particular problem, but potentially there is quite a bit of messy work involving all the plumbing and electrical work.

Re-using the stairs may or may not be practical depending on layout and the roof slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Thanks for the replies.

Can anyone clarify the issue of "supporting walls". From a layman, I would imagine that the dividing walls between a house are classified as such?
    The dividing wall between semi-D's is called a party wall, but you are also correct it would be a supporting wall.
    Would knocking what I have detailed have a negative effect?
    Putting an opening, or a series of openings, in a party wall is not a particularily difficult job, but it is a job for someone who knows what they are doing. As with any contractor they should be adequately insured. Generally, this is not a job for a DIY'er. Finding matching floor levels at ground and first floor is not a given though.
    ....overall house is about 50ft deep,
    It's very doubtfull that this is correct unless you are counting in an extension to the rear. Around or below 9m (30') would be a normal depth.
    How complicated can routing gas through one location (as opposed to 2 as of now)?
    Presuming you have one gas connection into each semi-d, just cut/switch off one of them.
    To do the attic reusing the stairs, bannisters from 1st house, creating one large room, en suite and a storage room, another €20k ?
    Now you are probably into planning permission, making a third floor and creating a habitable room. You also need to consult TGD-B about travel distances, enclosed stairwells, self closing fire doors, etc.
    You need to consult a professional, sooner rather than later.
    Poor Uncle Tom you seem the guy I need to contact if this project ever gets lift off..
    I see from your location you're in Dublin. I practice in the South East and have some other clients scattered around the country and elsewhere, but generally don't take on one-offs outside of my area, ta. (I would also have to ban myself if I touted for work on the forum..:D) There are lots of good operators out there though.
    Victor wrote: »
    Re-using the stairs may or may not be practical depending on layout and the roof slope.
    The floor to floor heights would have to be the same as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

One thing. They are the same building, a matching pair, aren't they? Not separate semi-Ds? :D

Yes they are, it would be a hell of a project to do, 2 miles apart!
    50ft deep seems inconsistent with the floor area unless there is a substantial return / kitchen extension.

Thats my rough estimate, think its pretty correct though

When I hear foundations/support I think of major costs, thats my worry, anyway not close to doing anthing on it yet, just theory stuff at the moment

If you want to make large rooms, consider removing the partitions within one of the houses rather than removing / altering the party wall. Probably much less work involved.

Advertisement