Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faulty Chimney

• 30-01-2010 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I am thinking of buying a stove for my kitchen and there is a fireplace in the kitchen and the sitting room back to back and there is no fireplace in the kitchen and there hasn't been one in it since we moved in. When I light the fire in the sitting room you can smell the smoke in the kitchen it seems to be coming back down the chimney into the kitchen, What would be causing this and would it be ok to go ahead with putting in a stove or would it need to be checked out.
    Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

Could you rephrase the first sentence?

Particularly thsi bit:

"...there is a fireplace in the kitchen and the sitting room back to back and there is no fireplace in the kitchen..."

Its not clear.

TIA

ONQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭athlone M

its a semi detatched house and the kitchen and sitting room fireplaces are back to back and they share the chimney. There is no fireplace in the kitchen its just an opening, we have never used it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Are you saying there is not any firefront, back or grate within the fireplace opening?

If this is the case you can put a stove into it.

What you say about smelling smoke in the Kitchen area after lighting a fire in the Sitting Room means there is something amiss, it could be anything from a backdraught down the kitchen flue to a breach in the flue walls, it's best to get it checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

Get a good sweep in to clean the chimney and have a "feel" to see if there are broken liners.

Flues should be separate all the way up, with the liner within the blockwork "square" breast bedded individually like bricks in a wall and the surrounding space between the circular flue and square breast filled with mortar.

Sometimes unscrupulous builders don't build them up as they go and then drop the liners in from a height, cracking them. If they also don't fill around them with mortar, the smoke can migrate.

You might find some backdraft from the smoking chimney down the unused one - a direction cowl with a hood might help prevent this - no experience of them.

HTH

ONQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

as a chimney sweep, i come across this on a daily basis...its caused by cold chimneys...as you light the fire in one...it heats up..and heat/smoke rises...but as the other chim is stone cold...and cold air is drawn down...it is pushed down the unused chim...so, you will have to cap the one you dont use...or install a energy saver cowl.

pm me if you need any more advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement