Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to rewire a house

Options
  • 30-01-2010 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi, I was viewing a house today which is about 30 years old, and may need to be rewired, how much do you think this would cost. There is only 1 power point in each room. The size of the house is 127m2, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'll do it for €500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Victor wrote: »
    I'll do it for €500.

Not sure if you are taking the pi$$!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    Hi, I was viewing a house today which is about 30 years old, and may need to be rewired, how much do you think this would cost. There is only 1 power point in each room. The size of the house is 127m2, cheers.

How long is a piece of string???

Thats the question.

Its going to be at least several thousands euro,put it that way.

Best to get in a few leccies/sparks in and have them look at the house and give you a free quotation.

It comes down to things like amout of sockets,type of sockets and leccy fittings and lights and also if everything old has to be ripped out and then walls chased and how much flooring pulled up aswell for new wiring.

You wont get an answer here on the forum,best get several quotes of several leccies/sparks.

And make sure the sparkes you get quotes from are all registered and have their papers.Alot of cowboys out there these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Of course he is.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you want people to help you, you need to help them. There is no use is saying one power point per room and not give the number of rooms.

Now, you're a boards user, so I assume you use the internet. So may your prospective housemates might use the internet also. Given that the house is a good size, I presume there will be several people living there. So that means several internets. And several TVs.

Now, I also presume that you don't want to be plugging out your PC when the woman (yes, I'm presuming) of the house wants to use the vacuum cleaner and indeed, the last thing you want is the vacuum cleaner zapping the PC.

And so on.

So, this means that you need several powerpoints per room and maybe alarm, phone, data and TV points. And then, given modern electrical conveniences that you might have microwave, dishwasher, food processor, cooker, sandwich maker GF grill ... so that means lots of points in the kitchen / utility room. Then you might want to go for all electric heating or maybe its just gas / oil (probably need a fair bit of work after 30 years, although piping and rads might get away with a thorough flushing).

Then there is the nugget of what type of fittings you want. Do you want surface mounted white plastic or do you want them flush with the wall? Do you want a stainless steel or even "gold" finish? are you happy with bare light bulbs or do you want to spend €5 on a lamp shade or €5,000 (add zeros as required) on a chandelier in the hall?

Then, assuming that floor boards need to be lifted and walls need to be chased and walls patched and painted there is other work involved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement