Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what shape will the LOI take?

• 30-01-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

With the new season little over a month away now and the fixture list due out soon, what shape do people see the league taking? Will Cork and Galway make the cut or will Shelbourne and Bray be called upon to take their place? Is the first division still short of the full 12 clubs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Voltwad wrote: »
    With the new season little over a month away now and the fixture list due out soon, what shape do people see the league taking? Will Cork and Galway make the cut or will Shelbourne and Bray be called upon to take their place? Is the first division still short of the full 12 clubs?

Theres been 28 license applications received for the league (27 club applications and the one from FORAS) so they should probably have a full first division going by that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Theres been 28 license applications received for the league (27 club applications and the one from FORAS) so they should probably have a full first division going by that.
    And they need to fill 22? So I assume they've received applications to the first division from quite a few 'A' Championship sides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Pear?

And they need to fill 22? So I assume they've received applications to the first division from quite a few 'A' Championship sides?

I knoe Cobh have put in a first division application not sure about the other A championship sides though.

I knoe Cobh have put in a first division application not sure about the other A championship sides though.
    So there actually might be three Cork based clubs in the First division?

• Advertisement

So there actually might be three Cork based clubs in the First division?

No. FORAS's application is only there in case Cork City get no licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Will Cork and Galway make the cut
    For the millionth time... we are not in danger of being refused a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The squad Shels have put together suggests to me that they know they will be in the FD next season, regardless.

On that basis, I'd say Galway are definitely safe.

The only real issue is if John Delaney has the bollix to stick to his word, and fúck Cork City out of the league. In that case, it'll be Bray up to replace them.

Anyone know what Bray's squad looks like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Des wrote: »

Its called St Pats for the coming season :p

What about Bohs and their chairman resigning over property deals and Danniger wanting money? Or Rovers having their budget approved before signing Turner and Walsh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Who cares? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Who cares? :rolleyes:

Irish people, on an Irish forum.

What are you doing here?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    What about Bohs and their chairman resigning over property deals and Danniger wanting money?
    Bohs and the FAI found a hole in the sand in Dollymount, and stuck their collective heads into it. There's probably more fudge in Dalymount than in Cork tbh.

At least the people of Cork eventually admitted the trouble.
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Or Rovers having their budget approved before signing Turner and Walsh?
    Can't really see the new golden boys being demoted over something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

We (Cork City) probably should be in the first division, whether with FORAS or new owners, but then again, so should Drogheda and Bohs.
    The FAI really need to stop the annual fudging sessions and start enforcing the rules.

Of course, if none of this happens, Shels fans will have another few months of righteous indignation and whinging to get by on, and that would be alright too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's atrocious. We can't afford to offer the wages that Premier clubs and other First clubs are offering so our transfer business has been mainly outgoing. We've signed a few players but none of them to get really excited about. It's going to be a tough year for us whatever division we're in.

I reckon we could well enter the record books if we get put in the Premier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

It's atrocious. We can't afford to offer the wages that Premier clubs and other First clubs are offering so our transfer business has been mainly outgoing. We've signed a few players but none of them to get really excited about. It's going to be a tough year for us whatever division we're in.

Your staunch insistence on playing by the rules and not running your club into oblivion is screwing you yet again. Must be heartbreaking to be a bray fan.

getcover wrote: »
    We (Cork City) probably should be in the first division, whether with FORAS or new owners, but then again, so should Drogheda and Bohs.
    The FAI really need to stop the annual fudging sessions and start enforcing the rules.

Of course, if none of this happens, Shels fans will have another few months of righteous indignation and whinging to get by on, and that would be alright too. :D

I agree we should be put in the first division, we deserve it after all the crap this year. However i reckon the FAI will be more reluctant to put city into the first division if Coughlan does leave. Also being in the first division would probably be better to allow the club rebuild from all the damage this year.

I'd be more interested to see how Bohs are dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I'm genuinely insulted that you think ANYTHING Drogheda did comes even close to the level of lunacy that is CCFC over the last 12 months. There was no reason to relegate Drogheda, just the same as there was no reason to relegate CCFC at the time.

Don't try and use the FAI or Drogheda as an excuse, Cork city are a shambles at the moment and its all their own doing.

Will Salthill Devon be accepted into the First Division does anyonw know. I remember there being talk about 3 teams in one ground and Salthill were a bit reluctant IIRC.

fh041205 wrote: »
    I'm genuinely insulted that you think ANYTHING Drogheda did comes even close to the level of lunacy that is CCFC over the last 12 months. There was no reason to relegate Drogheda, just the same as there was no reason to relegate CCFC at the time.

Don't try and use the FAI or Drogheda as an excuse, Cork city are a shambles at the moment and its all their own doing.

Will Salthill Devon be accepted into the First Division does anyonw know. I remember there being talk about 3 teams in one ground and Salthill were a bit reluctant IIRC.
    I would expect to see Salthill Devon there yes. I think they were invited by the FAI to request a licence so I would imagine they'll be in the first division instead of the A Championship this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cork City should be dissolved, not in the 1st Division ffs. Dissolve the cnut and let FORAS start from sratch in the À Championship.

Salthill seem to be all set for the First Division.

They won't be playing in Terryland Park.

They will be permitted to use their own field, with some "minor" adjustments. It's a great facility they have there, but one thing it is not, is a venue for LOI football.

• Advertisement

Salthill seem to be all set for the First Division.

They won't be playing in Terryland Park.

They will be permitted to use their own field, with some "minor" adjustments. It's a great facility they have there, but one thing it is not, is a venue for LOI football.

Sure Mervue and Galway will be playing out of Terryland, hardly able to have 3.:D

Their field looks very like Wayside Celtics set-up, was out there last season for a Shels friendly, as long as Salthill don't happen to have three different venues we'll be grand, unlike Wayside.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

Wind you neck back in there, where did I claim that Drogheda comes anywhere close to what tnb has done to CCFc?
    Drogheda compeltely overextended themselves, and were not punished. ALL clubs should be punished, its only when the FAi act consistently can the league really begin to progress.

Cork City should be dissolved, not in the 1st Division ffs. Dissolve the cnut and let FORAS start from sratch in the À Championship.

Why should a FORAS run club have to start in the A Championship when Derry are allowed start again in the First Division?:confused:

The FORAS application was a first division one in any case.

Why should a FORAS run club have to start in the A Championship when Derry are allowed start again in the First Division?:confused:

Derry should have been fúcked into the FD also.

Doesn't matter, Shels had a PD licence for last season.

Derry should have been fúcked into the FD also.

Doesn't matter, Shels had a PD licence for last season.

Guessing Des meant the A Championship. Any new club should have to start from the bottom, no matter what number franchise it is, in Corks case we're nearly up to 100 I'd say.:rolleyes:

Drogheda compeltely overextended themselves, and were not punished. ALL clubs should be punished, its only when the FAi act consistently can the league really begin to progress.

Agreed. Thing is, we (both Drogs and Cork) were deducted 10 points for entering examinership. That was the punishment. Drogheda scraped through it and learned their lessons, Cork didn't. To say we should have been relegated has no basis in any kind of law or League rule.

Apologies if this sounds whatever, but I refuse to allow my club be painted with the same toxic brush as Cork City at the moment. And I do take exception to you referring to them collectively, as if their cases are similar. There was/is no fudging of accounts in Drogheda.
    It's a great facility they have there, but one thing it is not, is a venue for LOI football.

Is that the ground out in Drum? I've been to that one and its impressive as a training facility, but they've no stands or even barriers beside the pitch IIRC. Apart from a wooden fence behing one goal.

they've no stands or even barriers beside the pitch IIRC. Apart from a wooden fence behing one goal.
    My point exactly.

It would be the envy of nearly any club in the LOI, but they do not have any spectator facilities.

They said that any modifications needed to bring them up to standard were minor and that they would be completed in plenty of time before the start of the season...

There's only 4 or 5 weeks left until the season is under way and there has been no movement on it (as of yesterday).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Irish people, on an Irish forum.

What are you doing here?

lol Sunderland fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Bray have already told the League they don't want to go back up and have advised the league to have Shels ready to go. Allegedly, Bray have €1,400 per week for players wages so they don't look great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

CiaranC wrote: »
    Your staunch insistence on playing by the rules and not running your club into oblivion is screwing you yet again. Must be heartbreaking to be a bray fan.

Try being a UCD fan :rolleyes:

Try being a UCD fan :rolleyes:

Wait UCD have fans!?!?!?:eek: Who knew.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

Wait UCD have fans!?!?!?:eek: Who knew.....

Its a well kept secret! We are silently waiting until every other team goes into administration and we win the league by default before making ourselves known!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

CiaranC wrote: »
    Your staunch insistence on playing by the rules and not running your club into oblivion is screwing you yet again.
    We did do a bit of messing around in the 2008 season. We signed a few players in the transfer window and then in October we had to cut our wage and operating budgets by about 25%.

We didn't get into serious money trouble but we did over-reach for a while.
    CiaranC wrote:
    Must be heartbreaking to be a bray fan.
    Yes. Last season was pretty horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Heard Bray signed James Kavanagh for their first team. This lad isn't even 17 yet. Very good footballer but he could be lost in the First Division. PAddy Kavanagh's younger brother.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Heard Bray signed James Kavanagh for their first team. This lad isn't even 17 yet. Very good footballer but he could be lost in the First Division. PAddy Kavanagh's younger brother.

You not signed up by Bray yet?:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement