Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Templemichael Castle and Church - Where Are They?

Options
  • 30-01-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Cork in a couple of weeks' time and I've heard about Templemichael Castle and Church and I would like to photograph it. It has a graveyard beside it. I've heard it's situated on the River Blackwater and that it's near Youghal, but I can't see it marked on a map, or on Google Earth at all.

temple-michael-ireland.jpg

spaceball.gif
    spaceball.gif

spaceball.gifA scene from Stanley Kubrick's movie 'Barry Lyndon' was filmed on the bank behind the church there, beside the River Blackwater.

Does anybody have any idea where exactly it is, or how to get there? I'd appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Do you mean you can't find Templemichael itself marked, or the church specifically? This is a link to Templemichael map. Try the Archaeological Survey of Ireland website to find the precise site; I can't link to it as it's very fiddley to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Do you mean you can't find Templemichael itself marked, or the church specifically?

No, I know where Templemichael the town is - near Glenville, and there's no church or castle of this description around there. I know that much. Despite this castle+church+graveyard not being slap bang in the centre of the Templemichael area, the name that's been given to it is 'Templemichael Church'. Yet, people say over and over again that it's near Youghal, which is further away - south-east, in fact. Fcuk knows why it's called Templemichael Castle/Church.
    This is a link to Templemichael map. Try the Archaeological Survey of Ireland website to find the precise site; I can't link to it as it's very fiddley to use.

Okay, thank you for that. I'll give that a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Coming from Cork, drive to the end of the bypass, and go left immediately before the bridge, heading for Glendine church and the scenic route. About half a mile up, the boreen leading to the church and graveyard is on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Coming from Cork, drive to the end of the bypass, and go left immediately before the bridge, heading for Glendine church and the scenic route. About half a mile up, the boreen leading to the church and graveyard is on the right.

Thank you - you're spot on. I know this because a cousin of mine got in touch with me last Sunday evening and told me exactly where it is.

Thanks for your help all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Stugots

Templemichael is a really eery spot. We camped there as scouts one night and scared the bejaysus out of ourselves. Even during the day its really creepy. There are all sorts of ghost stories about happenings around there, animals behaving strangely, psychics sensing an evil presence.

The graveyard by the church has the graves of the Halroyd-Smith family, many of whom died in unusual circumstances, supposedly cursed by a peasant woman during the famine.

• Advertisement

Yep, no bother Mojo.

The Holroyd Smyths were residents of Ballinatray, just upriver. A number of them died tragically. Molana Abbey is within the grounds of the residence, now in private ownership (but I think they may still allow visitors in at certain times?)

The crypt at Templemichael still contains coffins, you can see 'em if you peek in.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

You mean this crypt?

31e36c0119cc7e0984dfcabfebd95aa0bf7841c4.jpg

That's the one. Think the Holroyd/Smyth/Ponsonby's owned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HJMcL

Could anyone tell me if Henry Huth is buried in Templemichael graveyard. I would also love to hear from anyone who knew Henry and his wife Mollie.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

http://goo.gl/maps/e7bJw

This is the car park for it. Gates are locked sometimes. Not sure exactly what times it's open.

• Advertisement

How can I find out if Henry Huth is buried in the graveyard?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

HJMcL wrote: »
    How can I find out if Henry Huth is buried in the graveyard?

Apparently he died in England. Couldn't find details of where he was buried.

Source:
    http://www.thepeerage.com/p44721.htm

Yes,he died in England but I have been told that he was buried in a private graveyard in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Sorry for bringing this old thread up...

was there yesterday and find it really peaceful there.
    Looked a bit creepy alright but nothing unusual there, i normally sense that stuff quickly...

So...can anybody tell some stories to this place?
    like what happened exactly, and what happened there etc etc?

much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Biggies

Can't tell you about stories but I agree with you the place is eerie and peaceful. Probably not so quiet now that this thread is up. :)

Although since the place is actually in Co. Waterford and it's posted in Cork county, not many people may find it. :D

The legend that I heard was that a peasant woman had brought her sick child to the house at Ballynatray to seek help and was rejected. Supposedly she stepped backwards down the thirteen steps at the entrance to the house cursing a generation of the Holroyd-Smyths for each step.

If you look on the gravestones in Temple Michael you will notice that a lot of the family died on the 13th of the month. The last Holroyd-Smyth to own the property died in a hunting accident on September 13th 1969.

There have been stories of horses slowing and struggling as if pulling a heavy load when passing the main gate to the house and bolting afterwards. I read an extract from a book some years back by an American psychic visiting Temple Michael. As she walked along the river bank, she saw what appeared to be a monk standing in the doorway of a ruin and sensed an intense evil presence.

In spring 1966 or 1967, my father was in a car with a few friends driving along the road around midnight on their way to a place nearby where they had a telescope set up to observe a lunar eclipse. They saw what appeared to be a rope across the road and they all ducked. When the car stopped, they got up and looked back. The couldn't see anything, but turned around and drove back to Youghal and told the guards. There had been some trouble in Ardmore in '66 on the 50th anniversary of the Easter rising, so the guards were concerned it might be connected. At the time there was no squad car, so a guard went out to investigate on a bike. He came across the same 'rope' and ducked off the bike sliding under it. Again, he couldn't see it afterwards but hightailed it back to the station. When they investigated the next morning there was no trace to be found.

I had a couple of incidents at Molana abbey and Temple Michael as a kid which basically amounted to suddenly being overcome with fear and running out of the place.

If you Google Temple Michael and ghosts, you get a few hits, including being listed in Haunted America's top 10 scariest places: http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/haunted/scariest/

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Thanks very much!

Im wondering why it felt alright when I was there...it was spooky alright but I'm very sensitive if it come to these things, didnt feel anything evil really :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Looking forward to paying a visit here might finally make it this weekend

Please post your impressions of the pace afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I will do. Planning on a trip to ballinspittle woods so if we can make the templemichael will bring the old camera

• Advertisement
Advertisement