Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Tablets

Options
  • 30-01-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

I am currently doing a digital design course and I want to buy my first graphic tablet. I know that Wacom seem to be the big leader but I was looking for something not too expensive. I have come across the Genuis G-Pen M712 Graphics Tablet on the net and wondered if anyone has any advice about it? It looks pretty good to me. Also, where is the best place to physically go and by them? I prefer that than buying over the internet! Do PC World do them? All advice greatly appreciated! ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Wacom is the best option, accept no substitutes. I got my A5 one in PC World.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭natsuko

I bought an Aiptek one, worked pretty well. my sis wanted one, so i gave her that one and bought a new one but they are under the name Trust now. Now the Aiptek one has broken and she got a good deal on a Wacom Intuos3 on ebay... came chipped but that was delivery problem everything else fine. But My Trust one is still working great, pen a bit iffy sometimes but not enough to throw me off. Anyway the Trust/Aiptek ones were like 150e on Elara.ie, its a big surface area, 14" id say, but the Wacom my sis got is smaller but better quailty for the sameish price... if your investing in one go with Wacom, if you want something just to get by with for a while the Trust ones are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

5uspect wrote: »
    Wacom is the best option, accept no substitutes. I got my A5 one in PC World.

Can I ask how much you paid for it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hmmm, about 100 I think. Maybe 150, I bought it a few years ago!

After double checking it's A6 not A5 :o. Graphire4 A6 (CTE-440). It appears discontinued.

The new Bamboo models seem to be aimed at those on a budget.
    The more expensive models offer new features like touch sensitivity without a stylus.

yeah was looking at the bamboo pen & touch which seems to be the most reasonable. Around €90...might go for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

This question has been asked a few times on the forum and the general consensus is that Wacom is the way to go. Aldi/Lidl have specials on tablets every so often and the feedback on these has usually been poor.

If you're studying graphic design, its something you will use, and use a lot, so may as well invest in something decent. Have a Wacom myself and the pen is battery-free, so weighs about the same as a bic biro. Feels very natural and has some nice features too, such as flip the pen over and it switches to eraser automatically, etc..

well have just bought the Wacom Bamboo Fun and so far so good! Thanks for the advice everyone.

Advertisement