Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water and Rodent Proof Dogfood Storage

Options
  • 30-01-2010 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

I am looking for something I can store app 10-12 bags of dogfood a 15kg in out of doors and it must be water and rodent proof AND cheap to buy ;).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My Dad uses a composter bin for his dog food.

Bin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

How much volume does it have?

I think you can get them in different sizes, he bought his in a Garden Centre but I think Argos also stock them. Not sure on the price but it is hard solid plastic and he got it specifically because he had rodent problems and it has done the job for him.

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I've looked at compost bins, but because it has the hatch thing at the bottom, it didn't look totally secure, mice can get through the smallest hole possible! How long does he usually keep the food in there?

• Advertisement

I drove my local petrol station guy mental because everytime I am there I inspected the plastic thingies he keeps the brickets and coal in. :D

He has two small dogs so a big bag of dog food would do him about 2 months or so. You may have to fashion it to meet your needs ie. some wire mesh over any would be rodent entry points but so far it seems to be meeting the purpose.
    They only other thing I can think of is the hard plastic drums that builders yard get deliveries of nuts and bolts in, I have one of those but I got mine off my bf's brother who works in a builders yard, I'm not sure where you would buy one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

EGAR wrote: »
    I drove my local petrol station guy mental because everytime I am there I inspected the plastic thingies he keeps the brickets and coal in. :D

I do that as well, everytime I go somewhere and see something that I think might work, I have to inspect it.:rolleyes:
    lrushe wrote: »
    He has two small dogs so a big bag of dog food would do him about 2 months or so. You may have to fashion it to meet your needs ie. some wire mesh over any would be rodent entry points but so far it seems to be meeting the purpose.
    They only other thing I can think of is the hard plastic drums that builders yard get deliveries of nuts and bolts in, I have one of those but I got mine off my bf's brother who works in a builders yard, I'm not sure where you would buy one though.

OK, I hadn't thought of the wire mesh, that could work. I'll have to go and have a chat with my local builder's merchants, I usually find that they're happy to give stuff away that they usually have to pay to have removed, like the reels that cables come on. They are great for huskies to jump up and play on, and if you get the really big ones, you can cut a hole in the middle section and make a kennel for them. My local builders merchant was delighted that I wanted to take some off his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

We use an aluminum rubbish bin with a lid, the sides are too slippery for the mice to climb up. I think it's about 75L in capacity. Cost €25 from the local agri supplier

Advertisement