Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratt

Options
  • 30-01-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So, I read that Roadrunner Records signed Ratt last year, which took me by surprise - you've got to admit that it's a pretty big coup for the band and also a rather interesting change for Roadrunner. Ratt got back together in 1996, but only made a real go of it from 2006, when vocalist Stephen Pearcy replaced Jizzy Pearl (the man who had replaced him) and Ratt suddenly found themselves being earmarked by major record labels.

Even during my "Hair Metal" phase I was never that into Ratt, although I recently got their 2 breakthrough albums (Out of the Cellar and Invasion of Privacy) cheap on Amazon so I figured I'd give them a listen to expose myself to something (kinda) new ahead of their new album release in March.

I have to say that it sound's pretty good. The line-up of the band is relatively strong, 3 of the members are from "way back when" and bassist Robbie Crane has been with the band solidly since 1996 - you don't normally get that with Hair Metal acts other then Poison. Asides from that they're booked to play several festivals this year - including Bang Your Head, Gods of Metal and Graspop (and they'll prob end up at Download as well) so it looks like 2010 could be the year of the Ratt

I think if this was a fad then RR would have signed a few mock Hair Metal bands, the kind you find in Sweden who play the music faithfully, but it seems to be a real attempt for RR to have their own "Motley Crue" on the roster

But what do you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think Ratt sh*t is better than cat sh*t :D

If Henry Rollins said so, then it is good enough for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

I think it'll take more than Ratt to ignite a Hair Metal revolution (perhaps a miracle), and I couldn't ever see Ratt making it "big" in 2010 or beyond, but I do look forward to the new album and I expect it to be good, but at this stage I sort of know what I'm gonna get, y'know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I love Ratt!

I always thought they were far and away one of the best bands to emerge from L.A. in the early 1980's. They released 2 awesome albums (Out Of The Cellar and Invasion Of Your Privacy), a very good, very solid 3rd album (Dancing Undercover) and then the product kinda went downhill rapidly.

Was a real pity, because they did have the potential to become something much more than they did.

With any luck, the new album will be impressive and they will tour again. Would be brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I've only 're-discovered' RATT recently,great stuff to crank up and rock out the house while doing a few bits around the gaff. They're not the sort of band who i'd sit down and listen intently to,just great music to have on in the background.

If anyone's interested to hear a sample of their new single "Best of Me" - http://www.amazon.com/Best-Of-Me/dp/B00359REVQ/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&qid=1264808380&sr=1-48

Pretty much what I expected, typical hair metal with a slightly modern twist. Nothing wrong with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

This is also a YouTube video of their current lineup, pro shot last year

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

The first 3 albums r great, before they tried to sound like Bon Jovi :o

If you are into RATT, check out Dokken. One of my faves from that era. Check out Tooth and Nail, Under Lock and Key and Back for the Attack. The current album is pretty good too, Lightning Strikes Again. Juan Crouzier played bass on the first Dokken album too.

KevLeppard wrote: »
    The first 3 albums r great, before they tried to sound like Bon Jovi :o

If you are into RATT, check out Dokken. One of my faves from that era. Check out Tooth and Nail, Under Lock and Key and Back for the Attack. The current album is pretty good too, Lightning Strikes Again. Juan Crouzier played bass on the first Dokken album too.
    Ah, Dokken. The first band I ever got into. Great band, VERY underrated. Lyrics aren't great but George Lynch is an unbelieveable guitarist.

I used to listen to nothing but hair metal, but I've since started listening to a lot more styles. Hair metal will always be the music that grabbed me first, and Dokken are the reason for my love of music. Don't intend to sound big headed or anything, but because I listened to nothing but hair metal for ages, I know everything about it, so when I say Dokken are good, it's not like I don't know what I'm on about. They're great.

If you haven't already, you should listen to George Lynchs album with his band Lynch Mob called "Wicked Sensation" Really cool album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

DazMarz wrote: »
    I love Ratt!

I always thought they were far and away one of the best bands to emerge from L.A. in the early 1980's. They released 2 awesome albums (Out Of The Cellar and Invasion Of Your Privacy), a very good, very solid 3rd album (Dancing Undercover) and then the product kinda went downhill rapidly.

Was a real pity, because they did have the potential to become something much more than they did.

With any luck, the new album will be impressive and they will tour again. Would be brilliant!

Have to agree on the first three albums. Warren de Martini really stands the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,447 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

'I thought we were quiet riot'

• Advertisement
Advertisement