Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Accommodation 2010

• 30-01-2010 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Just wondering about the best accommodation for 1st years in UCC?
    Any recommendations??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Scroll down the page a bit and you'll find three of four threads all discussing student accommodation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Chris2me

Hey im stuck between The village and Brookfield.
    which is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

The village is definitely better though it's around 5 more minutes walk to college... go down and check the other threads, there's some good ones, but The Village trumps Brookfield.

yeah it looks nicer all right! thanks yeah iv checked them out but no ones mades a comparison with brookfield or village so thought id make one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Sure there's no need to try and get accomidation for 10/11 until the summer, is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bobbyrae

Liveit wrote: »
    Sure there's no need to try and get accomidation for 10/11 until the summer, is there?

I think u shud book earlier than then!i hear cork books out very early ..

booking in the summer wud be a disaster every place iv spoken too said to book as early as possible to make sure u get what u want\!
    i mean with all the mature students this year as well like, messing up the whole system, u might not get wat u want!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

bobbyrae wrote: »
    Any recommendations??

Would recommend victoria mills definitely if you need to know anything ask me.
    All rooms are en-suite, dishwasher, broadband etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

cazzzzz wrote: »

Totally agree with the above. Keeping the manager Noel sweet too will make your life easier.

They have opened rebooking for current residents until march 4th so won't be long after that it will be open to everyone. So sad I'm not rebooking since I'm leaving UCC though. :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 rss

Whatever you do anyway do not go to victoria station. the management are complete pri**s. I have heard of them fining people 80e for having the place dirty unhoovered etc. that id the exact reason they gave for the fine. they also fined 2 people 200e each for having a house party. The actual bedrooms are alite but the kitchen/living room is not up to standard at all and is tiny in some apatments. The internet does not work with all computers for some unknown reason. The walls on the outside of the building have turned green with so much mould and dampness.
    The management are also very slow in helping people waiting weeks for something to be fixed.

STAY AWAY FROM VIC STATION

• Registered Users Posts: 49 notnormal

copied and pasted from my post in another thread:

Vic lodge - nothing like the photos, any friends who live there, hate it

uni hall - not open to first years unless an Irish speaker

vic mills - big, but kinda clinical...all white like a hospital...

the village - 15 min walk from college, not pleasant in the rain, but excellent apart from that

farranlea - have heard only bad things

Castlewhite - I live here, going back next year. Don't believe the "Castle****e" rubbish. Rooms are quite spacious (for student accom.), loads of storage, excellent internet (UCC network), big kitchen, tv has built-in dvd...only 4 channels, but you can't have everything in life. Sharing a bathroom with 4 people, not as bad as you would think, and there's a really good vibe if you get to know your neighbours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 HereIGo

Any comments on Deans Hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

HereIGo wrote: »
    Any comments on Deans Hall?

I hate almost every single aspect of it. It's dull and cramped. The dullness is awful, it never feels bright, it's always dreary and crap. You also have to pay €100 for seriously sub-standard Wi-Fi. You get better internet on campus and in Deanshall, both of which are free.
    It's really close to town though, it's only five minutes away.

To be honest, I'd go for Castlewhite if you're a first year. It's roughly the same price, and it's hell of a lot nicer. Also, it's a lot more social than Deanshall, and it's right on campus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I've lived in Brookfield for 4 years. The first three in the houses and this year in an apartment in the Jennings Pool section of it.

I think its ideal for first years. I moved into a house with 7 total strangers in 1st year and got on fine.

Maybe I've been there too long but I find it to be nicer then the likes of Vic lodge, Farranlea, the village or Deans hall because they are so sterile in the way they're designed. Brookfield has a homely or 'lived in' quality to it.

I will say Vic Mills and Uni Hall are more plush but you do pay the extra bit for those two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Lily92

Im hopin to be goin to UCC this September and have booked into Vic Lodge! Ny oders going der nd ny opinions on the place wud be appreciated. Ive heard about the bell nd firealarm but ohh well :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Liveit wrote: »

Do you plan on living in student apartments or a house? If its student apartments you are after there is a good chance that you are too late for a lot of the more popular places that are close to campus! :o (you will prob get a place if you put your name on a waiting list for cancellations.)

As for a house, Most of my friends have theirs sorted already. Most of the nice ones are full by the time CAO offers come round.

I could be completely wrong about this but this is the usual situation for the last few years anyways so I doubt that this year will be any exception!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MariaBlaah

the booking for Castlewhite opened last week and i was told to book asap... but im trying to decide between Brookfield Apartments (i know theres a post there about brookfield already, but thats the townhouses isnt it?) If anyone could help itd be great! just hwat you think would be best for first year!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Glowla

Hey guys!

I'm going into 3rd year in September and going through the headache of looking for accomodation.
    Could people give me info on your experience and knowlegde of The Spires, Sheare's Gate, Jennings Pool and Fullers Lodge please?

Also I'll be on placement from Feb 2012 so does anybody know of places who are kinda cool and faciliate this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Do many people or have many people left it until the CAO offers come out to book accommodation? I just don't really want to look like a proper tool asking for a deposit back on the off chance I don't get into the only course I put down UCC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Liamo345

I think Deans Hall is great accommodation! Its seconds away from town and a very short walk from college! So you get the best of both worlds. I had a girlfriend that lived in Vic Mills and it was a nightmare anytime I stayed out there. Its actually soulless, and your isolated from everywhere! and the whole lobby in each floor thing makes it feel like thers no one else living in the block! the only advantage is being close to college but its further away form the booles than deals hall! The Wi-Fi is free in deans hall too and its been improved massively form last year! They also have unreal leather couches! The banter between apartments has always been great but I suppose your drab experience was probably down to your personality deficiency . Id recommend it ahead of castle white too seeing as we dont tend to get flooded here after a bit of rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Do many people or have many people left it until the CAO offers come out to book accommodation? I just don't really want to look like a proper tool asking for a deposit back on the off chance I don't get into the only course I put down UCC.

If you're looking for student accommodation (apartments) then you're very unlikely to get somewhere after the cao. You'd probably find a house with little to no trouble though, maybe not the very closest but there's plenty within 10/15 mins of UCC so you'd be grand leaving it til the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Liamo345 wrote: »
    The banter between apartments has always been great but I suppose your drab experience was probably down to your personality deficiency.

Please read the forum charter. Personal/abusive comments towards other users is not tolerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cryingmantis09

cazzzzz wrote: »
    bobbyrae wrote: »
    Any recommendations??

Just wondering as a soon to be 1st year, if there is any rules applying to Victoria mills,as in can friends all live together in one house, girls and boys?? Any help is appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Just wondering as a soon to be 1st year, if there is any rules applying to Victoria mills,as in can friends all live together in one house, girls and boys?? Any help is appreciated.

Hey,

Theres a thread at the top of the page which tells you all about accom in Cork :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055047166

You should ask there!

Good luck!

Advertisement