Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS for use in the Mountains

Options
  • 30-01-2010 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there, I'm a keen hill walker and I have a Garmin Etrex handheld GPS. It's a very basic model with no maps and I want to get a better one with maps.
    I use the Etrex to make sure sure I know where I have to end up and where I have parked the car. Of occasion,it has stopped me from being lost in the mist a couple of times,so it has earned its keep! But it's hard to use, pressing the buttons is difficult, putting in waypoints from Garmin Mapsource software is difficult, and basically its a chore to have a map and a GPS. Before Health & Safety gurus get on to me, I wouldn't go out without both, but for handyness when I'm out on the mountains I'd like to use the GPS with a nice on-screen map without having to look up present position with one hand and wrestle a map in the other.

What's the best model to get? And; Where can I get it cheap as chips?
    Look forward to your replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I'd recommend the Garmin Legend HCx. It's about £150stg from Amazon.co.uk.
    You'll have to get a microSD card to load maps onto. Free maps are available from OpenStreetMaps which should be a bit better than the rubbish base map that comes supplied with it.

The Legend HCx is just as good as the, more expensive, Vista HCx. The only real difference is that the Vista comes with an electronic barometric altimeter and an electronic compass - both of which you usually switch off to conserve battery power!

I haven't used one in a few years, but they're very decent units for hillwalking.
    I use an Oregon 400t, only because I got a really good deal on it, which has a lot of extra features, but isn't any better at location finding than a Legend. In fact the screen on the 400t can be very hard to see in bright sunlight, where as the Legend always seemed fine.

Amazon seems to have the best prices for handhelds recently. Remember that the sterling price will increase slightly if you buy from them, as they will charge you the Irish VAT rate, but you do get free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Vikinghar wrote: »
    but for handyness when I'm out on the mountains I'd like to use the GPS with a nice on-screen map without having to look up present position with one hand and wrestle a map in the other.

For maps support you could look at some of the newer generation Garmin models such as the Dakota or Oregon.

With these you can scan in sections of paper maps, rectify in Google earth and load onto the GPS. If you want to spend loads of money you can also buy the official OSI/Garmin maps called Eire Discoverer and load them onto you GPS.

There's a dakota 20 for £200 on amazon.co.uk at the moment.

Advertisement