Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the Play-Pen: Jay P

Options
  • 31-01-2010 12:24am
    Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭

I'm finding it difficult to think of a way to start this thread. Not because I can't think of a witty or funny way to theme the intro, or because there's nothing interesting to say about to man. No, my friends, it is quiet the opposite. The problem I face is how do I start a thread about the legend that is James Pee.

James P is indeed an odd breed of person. He's that guy that you wish you could hate but you simply can't. He's too awesome. Such a degree of awesome shouldn't be contained within one person. A former alumni of St Flannan's College in Clare, he and I met early on in his career there. Loved by all he swiftly became that bastárd that everyone loves. You know the one :P

Jay P is an awesome person in general, but he is a man of secrets, many secrets! This is your chance people. Seriously, this guy is going to run this damn country in a few years, you need as much material as possible to blackmail him with, so get to it!

I'll begin, Jay P, do you remember the first time we met?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

jay p wats ur fave band

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Why did you choose the username Jay P?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Why do you have such an awesome taste in music?

What was the first Tom Waits song you ever heard?

What do you think of mainstream music?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Me or deise?
    John or edward?
    What would you order in a chinese?

Annnd... What did you think of flannans? (sure might as well throw it in there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

What do you think of the maths course in UCC?
    How do you find UCC in general?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Are you interested in sports?
    If so what ones and why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Knowing me, Monzo, knowing you, Jay P. A-ha.

Do you sing in the shower?

If you had to choose between a nasty kick in the balls and losing your eyebrows, what would you go for?

What makes you angry? Ever let loose your anger in public? Have you ever killed a man, Jay?

If you had the opportunity to rid one famous person of their fame (and all their contributions prior to and during their fame), what famous person would you choose?

What's the best thing you've ever found that wasn't yours?

Baileys: is it acceptable for men to drink or purely restricted to women?

Tom Waits or Bob Dylan? What's your favourite Waits album?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

C&H: Great forum, or the greatest forum?

If you could eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would it be (assuming that you could somehow make a healthy, balanced diet out of whatever you chose)?
    Same as above but with drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Heaviest band you like?

Like your college course?

What would ideally like to do after your college course?

Any epic plans for this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm going to take this in groups of three so I'm not overloading everyone with information at once. There's quite a bit to say :)
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I'm finding it difficult to think of a way to start this thread. Not because I can't think of a witty or funny way to theme the intro, or because there's nothing interesting to say about to man. No, my friends, it is quiet the opposite. The problem I face is how do I start a thread about the legend that is James Pee.

James P is indeed an odd breed of person. He's that guy that you wish you could hate but you simply can't. He's too awesome. Such a degree of awesome shouldn't be contained within one person. A former alumni of St Flannan's College in Clare, he and I met early on in his career there. Loved by all he swiftly became that bastárd that everyone loves. You know the one :P

Jay P is an awesome person in general, but he is a man of secrets, many secrets! This is your chance people. Seriously, this guy is going to run this damn country in a few years, you need as much material as possible to blackmail him with, so get to it!

I'll begin, Jay P, do you remember the first time we met?

Thank you for the marvellous introduction, which is flattering to say the least :)
    Well, I remember, I believe it was Neil, asked me more than once to "Vote Kevin" when you were in TY, and you were there at least once. The first time I properly met you was undoubtedly the second, and best, time I was in Inis Oirr. I don't know exactly when, but it was early enough in the course I'd imagine. Good times :)
    Also, I'd just like to say, the last time I was at Irish college you and Tommy and Aoife made it bearable, even if everyone was convinced I was one of you :P
    jay p wats ur fave band

Well according to my last.fm account, The Beatles are my most listened to band, followed by Pink Floyd and Radiohead, which would be accurate enough. Though right now, I freakin love Elbow more than any other band. Fantastic stuff.
    Jackobyte wrote: »
    Why did you choose the username Jay P?

I think I was listening to Jay Z at the time, and also reading Ross O Carroll Kelly, so I thought the name JP was cool. And Patrick is my middle name. Jay P looks cooler than JP, in short.

:)

• Advertisement

Jako8 wrote: »
    Why do you have such an awesome taste in music? It's a long story. A story that I don't even know. I just love music. I don't suffer crap music lightly.
    That's not really an answer, but I don't think you expected a serious one!

What was the first Tom Waits song you ever heard?
    Hoist That Rag and Step Right Up. I heard them both on the same day. Pretty good intro to the man I think :)

What do you think of mainstream music?
    It's mostly crap, but not necessarily. That said, I never listen to the radio, so generally the only time I hear mainstream music is in a nightclub when I'm blocked. Lady Gaga is good to listen to sometimes, same with a few others. People like Ke$ha though wreck my head.
    I dislike the idea that record companies create these artists, from nobodies, give them a "good look" and autotune the hell out of their voices. It's not music imo.

That sounds a bit contrived :o
    Me or deise? You because I've talked to you a bit more.
    John or edward? Seriously? Edward would kick John's ass. Sure he's a vampire isn't he?
    What would you order in a chinese? Honestly nothing. I just don't like it.

Annnd... What did you think of flannans? (sure might as well throw it in there) It's better than a lot of people give it credit for, it came third in a list of the best schools in the country by The Irish Times. That said, I had more than my fair share of run-ins with the authorities, most times were deserved, but not all. I turned out grand I think. The dirt in the school and the jacks are certainly my least favourite parts. Also there's no proper school spirit, unlike the CBS and the Colaiste. The place is just way too big.
    What do you think of the maths course in UCC?
    How do you find UCC in general?
    I very much like the course. Abstract Algebra is incredibly difficult to grasp and I hate that I won't see it again til the exam, but I found it interesting.
    The physics though... Not enjoyable. It's difficult and just plain boring. Deriving a bunch of formulae from nowhere is not my idea of fun.

I also love UCC. It's a beautiful place, aside from the Kane and the floors in WGB that have no carpets! The Mardyke is also very handy, though obviously not right now. My main gripe is the fact we've no exams at Christmas. Finishing modules at Christmas and not seeing them again until the exams is very irritating.

M&S* wrote: »
    Are you interested in sports?
    If so what ones and why.

Rugby and Running.
    I just love rugby. Very exiting sport to watch and to play. I like the physicality of it, and the incredible atmosphere at the matches. I like how one minute it's surprisingly quiet, even in open play, then two minutes later the noise would deafen you. Very unlike soccer where it's constant noise. Soccer bores the hell out of me. There's nothing going on.

I like running because it's the easiest sport in the world, and it keeps me fit. I haven't ran a race in a few years because I haven't been in serious training in a while, hopefully I will over the summer. I like seeing my times so I can try and beat myself. I really enjoy watching it because I can understand how amazing it is to run a 4 minute mile or a 1:45 800m, whereas most people just don't get it.

Monzo wrote: »
    Knowing me, Monzo, knowing you, Jay P. A-ha.

Do you sing in the shower?
    Yes. Always. The Police are great to sing.

If you had to choose between a nasty kick in the balls and losing your eyebrows, what would you go for?
    Kick in the balls. The pain isn't actually that bad. I've been in much worse pain than a bad kick in the balls.

What makes you angry? Ever let loose your anger in public? Have you ever killed a man, Jay?
    I actually used to be a pretty angry guy when I was younger. In many ways I still am, but I manage to suppress it. I'm easy to annoy though. So yes I definitely have been very angry in public. And no, I've never killed a man....

If you had the opportunity to rid one famous person of their fame (and all their contributions prior to and during their fame), what famous person would you choose?
    Big Brother-type celebrities, and all those people who are famous for nothing, except being famous. Jade Goody would be the one, but since she's dead, that'd be a bit redundant. So I'd pick Jordan. Wench :rolleyes:

Money? Too obvious I guess. I'll think about it and get back to you.

Baileys: is it acceptable for men to drink or purely restricted to women?
    I don't think anybody should drink it, but if a woman does, it's acceptable.

Tom Waits or Bob Dylan?
    Way too difficult. It changes constantly. I'm listening to a lot of Tom Waits right now, so him. For now.

What's your favourite Waits album?
    Alice. Fantastic imagery, especially on Everything You Can Think. Mule Variations also has some fantastic sounds on it.
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    C&H: Great forum, or the greatest forum?
    Greatest, that I know of. It's easiest to get on with people. Also, there are very general, and relevant, discussions.

If you could eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would it be (assuming that you could somehow make a healthy, balanced diet out of whatever you chose)?
    Fillet beef. Aw yeah.
    Same as above but with drink?
    Alcohol: Rum and Coke, or G&T (Such a good drink, even if it is for 40 year old women.
    Non-Alcoholic: Well brewed coffee.
    Fad wrote: »
    Heaviest band you like?
    Mastodon. Hands down.

Like your college course?
    Very much so, see above post :)
    I really like maths, so it suits down to the ground.

What would ideally like to do after your college course?
    Right now, I've no idea. I'd like to do a PhD, just so I could be a Doctor :cool: Though I'd have to find a topic I'd be sufficiently interested in though.
    Job-wise - As long as I'm happy, I don't mind. Making a large amount of money would contribute greatly to my happiness.

Any epic plans for this summer?
    Kinda but not really. I'm going all the way to Belfast to see Pearl Jam in June :) Also considering going to Oxegen again, but the line-up would want to be very good for me to go for the entire weekend. I'll most likely go to a single day if the line-up is appealing. If not, I'd love to go to Pukkle Pop in Belgium. That's seriously on the cards now. Also hoping to go to Electric Picnic as well.
    Them Crooked Vultures are going on tour in the summer, so I'm definitely going to see them, even if I have to go to England or whatever. Hopefully Elbow will go on tour as well. I'd be equally as willing to go to England to see them.
    Other than that, not a whole lot :P

Watch this. Very funny stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Originally Posted by Monzo, and then answered by Jay P:
    Kick in the balls. The pain isn't actually that bad. I've been in much worse pain than a bad kick in the balls.

Ooooh, do divulge!
    What's your favourite Waits album?
    Alice. Fantastic imagery, especially on Everything You Can Think. Mule Variations also has some fantastic sounds on it.

I don't have Alice but I was ten tracks into Mule Variations today (listening to it for the first time) before the damn thing started skipping on me. :(

Ooooh, do divulge!
    • Burst Appendix
    • Once I sliced open my thumb with a bread knife. Saw one of the bones.
    • Broke my collar bone shoulder blade once.

They all hurt more than getting kicked in the balls.
    I don't have Alice but I was ten tracks into Mule Variations today (listening to it for the first time) before the damn thing started skipping on me. :(

Mule Variations is brilliant. Just fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Best advice you could give someone right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Best thing that's ever happened to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

God. yay or nay?

If you were a superhero, what would be your power?

favourite movie?

When are you happiest?

Whats you favourite place in the world?

Craguls wrote: »
    Best advice you could give someone right now?

In C+H, it'd be to enjoy your summer holidays as much as possible, even if your maximum enjoyment means sitting at home doing nothing. Seriously, when you're out in the big bad world, you won't have three months off every year, unless you're a teacher. You'll get four weeks off and that's it.
    Best thing that's ever happened to you?

That's something else I'll have to come back to. I was actually thinking about this yesterday, and I haven't figured out an answer yet.
    God. yay or nay?
    There's something there, maybe it's god. But I'm starkly against many of the teachings of the church so I go to mass for Christmas and funerals and stuff like that. I'm what you'd call a fairweather catholic.

If you were a superhero, what would be your power?
    I'd love to fly. Reading minds would be handy very occasionally, but I'd be too afraid of learning what people actually think of me to want it. Being super intelligent would be cool as well.

favourite movie?
    The Big Lebowski, Inglourious Basterds or American Beauty.

When are you happiest?
    When I'm not worrying about money. When with my friends in any situation. I'm especially happy when things go my way.

Whats you favourite place in the world?
    I'm sorry, that's another one I'll have to think about. :o

I like all the questions, they're really making me think, which is pretty class. Keep em coming please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Favourite boards forums? (apart from this, natch)

I'm pretty good at falling for girls that I can't have :(
    I found a packet of tobacco once. That was awesome!

Favourite boards forums? (apart from this, natch)

I like AH sometimes. A lot of the time it just annoys me though.
    PaC is great, tis a private forum. Just a bunch of conversations really. A nice atmosphere there is.
    Some of the music forums are good. Rock and Metal gets on my tits a lot though. I find that the posters there are very contrived, and that they think it's cool to find the most esoteric and unknown music. It's just annoying.
    R&R is good for a nice rant.

I mostly float around those forums. This is the only one where I'm very regular. I want to spread my interests around a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Favourite sound?

If you had a free flight right now,where would you go?

Do you believe in Love?

Can you sing?

What do you want most in the world?

Proudest achievement?

Five things you like about yourself?

:)

Do you play the lotto?

What would you do with the money if you won, regardless of whether you play or not? And none of the soft option-give it all to charity!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

If you could star in a film / series / short / sketch / music video alongside the person of your choice, who would it be and would you have a certain plot / situation / song in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

One month in, how is 2010 treating you so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Play any instruments?

One thing you'd change about yourself if you could?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

D4RK ONION or Insect Overlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Do you smoke?

Will you do my maths homework?

If you could remove one country from existance, what one would it be and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

If you could teach the world one lesson, what'd that be?

Rudest thing you've done?

Most life-threatening situation you've been in?

Furthest place you've been (geographically)?

Are you an optimist or a pessimist?

What would be your dream?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

If you had 2 hours to live, what'd you do?

Have you ever been in trouble with the law?

Happiest moment?

Greatest achievement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Fake tan. Thoughts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement