Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Care

Options
  • 31-01-2010 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

I've had this cat for a couple of years now, after an old neighbour abandoned the poor thing when she moved house.. he's about 15 years old & is in fine health, very passive & affectionate too.

Thing is - I've never brought him to a vet & was wondering if there's any real reason to do so, seeing as there's nothing wrong with him. Also, shoudl he be microchipped, or is there any need for this (unless he gets lost, which he never does).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Interesting... At 15 years of age, you may well uncover an illness if you take him to the vet. The law of averages says that at that age, he probably has reduced renal function, his liver may not be great depending what his diet was like, and his teeth probably need a bloody good clean, if they're not already on their way to falling out of his head.

Do you worm him regularly? Whether or not you take him to the vet, you should worm him.

You could explain your reasoning to the vet and take him to be examined - the vet can do a bloods panel on him, and take a look at his teeth. Microchipping isn't expensive and at least if he DOES wander off some day, he can be traced back to you.

It may also be that he has a few wobbly functions that you could improve with a change in diet (a nice, cheap option). He may need his teeth cleaned, and a couple pulled (expensive) - but having them pulled now, before they abscess or something worse, could save you a bigger fortune in the future on antibiotics and measures to fight an infection.

It's a real game of roulette with an animal of that age though. He could have another five (or even eight - I know a 23 year old ginger cat myself) good years left in him, and by taking him to the vet, you could get the best out of those years. To be mercenary about it though, don't take him unless you're willing to spend the money on what shows up, or make a decision about where your spending is going to end, and maximise the time you have left together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Hi Sweeper. Thanks for your reply - his diet is normal enough - just tinned cat food with some of the dried stuff every now & then as he's not mad about it. He does however go mad for chicken bones which I probably shouldn't feed him, but he loves them.

His teeth seem to be healthy & strong as well as being clean, but he's never been wormed, so I'll do that now that I know it should be done!

As for the vet, I suppose a visit would be no harm & worth the money if it keeps the old boy alive & well for a few more years. He's ginger too - maybe the colour has something to do with his longevity!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Chicken bones - if they're raw, it's fantastic for him, keep it up, they'll have a lot to do with his teeth being so clean. If they're cooked, it's a big no - they could splinter and choke him or get stuck in his gut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Yeah - I give him raw ones if I bone the chicken before cooking, so #i'll keep that up!

Advertisement