Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble with UPC broadband on old laptop

• 31-01-2010 1:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

My parents recently got UPC 15Mb broadband in their house and while I hooked up my mothers new Windows 7 laptop without any problems my fathers old Dell Inspiron 8600 is giving me awful trouble.

First off I got him online but within seconds he got a blue screen saying "irql_not_less_or_equal". Then when ever the laptop got restarted this message come up right after the XP welcome screen. I did a couple of check disks & system repairs but the stop message/blue screen kept on coming up, I did it so much that I decided I'd reinstall the operating system from scratch.

I reinstalled the OS and installed the appropriate drivers (from the Dell resource CD) but now when I want to access a wireless network the WEP key (or password as it is called on the router) will not give me access. If I decide to put in no WEP key then I get a pop up telling me that the strength is excellent but I obviously don't have an IP address so cannot access the internet.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

The built-in wireless card is an Intel Pro/Wireless 2100 3A LAN miniPCI Adapter& the wireless router is a Cisco EPC2425.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved from Broadband.

Since there's nothing wrong with your broadband or wireless router, this is obviously a hardware or software problem on the laptop itself. You may get better responses here.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

that specific blue screen code is usually related to a hot CPU or dodgey RAM, ild run a healthcheck (memtest86,OCCt) just to make sure evrything is somewhat working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Well the I reinstalled the OS again and the bluescreen problem seems to have vanished, but that wasn't my main issue, my main issue is that I cannot get my fathers laptop online.

I brought down my laptop that is running Windows 7 and I got online in a matter of seconds so I'm guessing that the new UPC wirless router only supports newer OS's (ie Vista/7) or newer wirless cards?

I got by typing in the 8 digit code when prompted on my laptop and mothers laptop but my fathers laptop rejects the code. I checked again and look a screen shot (attached) and XP only gives you an option to enter a WEP key while as far as I can see the UPC router has a WPA-PSK key.

Is there anyway around this so I can get the XP laptop online???

Advertisement