Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driver Theory Test CD-ROM won't work!

• 31-01-2010 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi folks,
    Hope I've posted this in the right place.

I purchased the 'Driver Theory Test' CD-ROM today and it won't work on my Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. The CD-ROM rquires the following:

Optical Drive: CD or CD - ROM
    Operating System: Windows 2000, Windows XP(Service Pack 2) or Vista.
    CPU Type: Pentium IV 1.5GHZ or equivalent
    Hard Drive Space: 400 MB
    Memory: 256MB
    Graphics: Any graphics card (1024 x 768 x 24 bit colour)
    Audio: Any sound card
    Printer: optional
    Internet: Optional

I thought it wasn't working because I have the Windows XP service pack 3 installed so I uninstalled it and installed the Windows XP service pack 2, but it still didn't work. I also disabled my anti-virus (AVG) and no joy. The disk just spins when i put it into the laptop.

Is this disk faulty or is it simply just not compatible with my laptop? Also I've tried going to 'my computer' and clicking the 'DVD rw drive' and up pops the following: 'Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatable with windows.

Any advice for me at all?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 HandsomePete

sounds like disc is damaged, try give it a clean or take it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

are you using any cd/dvd software if not thats your problem. seeing the disc drive is running that seems ok. download nero from here http://www.filehippo.com/download_nero_burning_rom/ scroll down and download nero burning rom 7.0.8.2 and install it. after that try the disc again it should work.

i had this problem a good while back with the driver theory test disc and this worked for me so good luck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Try CD on Another Machine i always had to explore & "setup.exe" for it to run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 T700

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies - and apologies for my slow reply!

I downloaded the Nero thing but downloaded version 9, I tried to uninstall it but i wont let me. I've tried to install the Nero as reccommended but it won;t let install fully because it says that the serial number is already in use.

Also how do I explore the 'setup.exe'?

I gave the PC CD-ROM to a freind and it was about to install itself straight away, so it's deffo something to do with my computer.

Any other advice please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Is it anything to do with this?

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/CDgone-file8.html

Does the drive show up in windows explorer, or in device manager?

• Advertisement

thats strange with the problem you are getting from nero. but if you cannot uninstall nero theres something definatly bogey there. if needed install this http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Nero-General-Clean-Tool.shtml to remove nero. well it seems this method doesn't work for you so just use the nero cleaner to remove it. will look into this problem further.

I have looked into this problem further. just click windows start button then click control panel in there click system then hardware then device manager. do you see a yellow exclamation mark on the cd/dvd drive ?

if there is a yellow exclamation mark on the cd/dvd right click it and uninstall it then restart the computer it will reinstall it again itself a minute or two after windows loads up so give it time to do so.
    now after the cd/dvd device installs itself go back into device manager and see if the yellow exclamation is gone from the cd/dvd. if the yellow exclamation is still there then you will have to do this fix which will fix the cd/dvd drive.

windows XP cd/dvd fix.

to fix the cd/dvd drive it is important you follow these instructions to the letter..be extremely carefull in here as you do not want to delete the wrong thing. if done correctly your cd/dvd will work fine.

click the windows start button
    click RUN
    type in REGEDIT and hit enter a new screen will appear. click the arrow beside Hkey_local_machine. then click the arrow beside SYSTEM. then click the arrow beside CurrentControlSet then click the arrow beside CONTROL then click the arrow beside CLASS you will see alot of numbers and letters look for the one that say's
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} it will be near the top maybe ten down. and left click this do not click the arrow on it just click on the string of letters and numbers.. when you click on this string of letters and numbers it will say on the right side of the screen DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES. if it say's this then look for and right click "upper case filters" and delete it. then right click "lower case filters" and delete that as well. when done doing that click the X to close the registry and restart your computer. try the dvd drive and it should be working fine.

as i said follow the instructions to the letter and you will be fine. you just need to delete the upper case and lower case filters only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

zenno wrote: »
    thats strange with the problem you are getting from nero. but if you cannot uninstall nero theres something definatly bogey there. if needed install this http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/Nero-General-Clean-Tool.shtml to remove nero. well it seems this method doesn't work for you so just use the nero cleaner to remove it. will look into this problem further.

I have looked into this problem further. just click windows start button then click control panel in there click system then hardware then device manager. do you see a yellow exclamation mark on the cd/dvd drive ?

if there is a yellow exclamation mark on the cd/dvd right click it and uninstall it then restart the computer it will reinstall it again itself a minute or two after windows loads up so give it time to do so.
    now after the cd/dvd device installs itself go back into device manager and see if the yellow exclamation is gone from the cd/dvd. if the yellow exclamation is still there then you will have to do this fix which will fix the cd/dvd drive.

windows XP cd/dvd fix.

to fix the cd/dvd drive it is important you follow these instructions to the letter..be extremely carefull in here as you do not want to delete the wrong thing. if done correctly your cd/dvd will work fine.

click the windows start button
    click RUN
    type in REGEDIT and hit enter a new screen will appear. click the arrow beside Hkey_local_machine. then click the arrow beside SYSTEM. then click the arrow beside CurrentControlSet then click the arrow beside CONTROL then click the arrow beside CLASS you will see alot of numbers and letters look for the one that say's
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} it will be near the top maybe ten down. and left click this do not click the arrow on it just click on the string of letters and numbers.. when you click on this string of letters and numbers it will say on the right side of the screen DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES. if it say's this then look for and right click "upper case filters" and delete it. then right click "lower case filters" and delete that as well. when done doing that click the X to close the registry and restart your computer. try the dvd drive and it should be working fine.

as i said follow the instructions to the letter and you will be fine. you just need to delete the upper case and lower case filters only.

Or download the cdgone.zip file on the link in my last post, which does it for you:P

humm.. i didn't know that program would do the same fix. but yeah well he/she should give it a try in that case. i'll download that program myself and keep it handy.

Advertisement