Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Hitler has just invaded Czechoslovakia

• 31-01-2010 3:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

Alright, some fellow named Adolf Hitler is on the verge of invading the Sudeten on the basis that ethnic German people are being undermined and that the people of the Sudetenland wanted to be re-incorporated with those from nearby bohemia and Moravia.

What is your opinion on our neighbours, the British, instigating a full blown war on the Germans? Are you in favour of appeasement, or are you in favour of leaving well enough alone, or indeed are you in favour of bombing the hell out of them if they go on to invade Poland?

I've been thinking about this issue recently, and about how totally opposed I would have been to the outbreak of the second world war.
    In reality, I feel that the steps taken by the British that led to war were not ideal, but nonetheless in our best interests as we were later to discover. At the time, I feel I would have vehemently opposed this point of view.

So how, do you think, you would you have felt about the onset of a new European war?

I'm not posting this in History because I feel that any discussion such as this must avoid objectivity and considered judgement in a way that only befits AH.

Comments

Where was Cazechoslovakia :confused:

Are you assuming that these events are happening in 2010 rather than 1938

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Yes, I would assume 2010

edit: but feel free to compare and contrast with 1938... how leaving cert

Yes, I would assume 2010

I don't think that the EU president would take too kindly to one of his "county councillors" trying to enlarge his constituancy. He'll get transferred to the cleansing services department.

I don't think that the EU president would take too kindly to one of his "county councillors" trying to enlarge his constituancy. He'll get transferred to the cleansing services department.
    Actually, given that you brought up the EU, I think in many ways its European outreach at a time when Sir Oswald Mosley and Mussolini had found particular favour would only have benefitted a party like the NSDAP

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing that in my history book in school.

"Hitler only had one ball and so he got angry"

You need to look up "monoballed leaders", anyway if he was around now he could have had a replacement fitted and perhaps he wouldn't be so ballsy in politics!

I suppose in the spirit of our neutrality i'd have not cared either way. German or English? Ah sure they're all dem over dere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Alright, some fellow named Adolf Hitler is on the verge of invading the Sudeten

What?! :eek: We swore we'd never let this happen again! No time to read/answer the rest of your post. I must rush to the shops and buy provisions and a radio.

Panic stations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

We'd just wait for Russia to the win the world war for us again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Moved to History.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

IvySlayer wrote: »
    We'd just wait for Russia to the win the world war for us again.
    Napoleon v Russians = lost

Hitler v Russians = lost

Keep away from the Russians. They are not good for your health if you invade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Alright, some fellow named Adolf Hitler is on the verge of invading the Sudeten on the basis that ethnic German people are being undermined and that the people of the Sudetenland wanted to be re-incorporated with those from nearby bohemia and Moravia. .

A lot of people at the time had no issue with the annexation of the Sudetenland but did take issue with the later invasion of the remaining Czech lands (Slovakia declared independence albeit under a puppet Nazi government and its a widely forgotton fact that even Poland helped themselves to some crumbs from the table)

Firstly I'd like to apologise to the history mods, I didn't start the thread here because it may be inappropriate given it's so detached from realistic historical analysis, you can't realistically judge 1938 by 2010 standards of course.
    Mike 1972 wrote: »
    A lot of people at the time had no issue with the annexation of the Sudetenland but did take issue with the later invasion of the remaining Czech lands
    I don't think you could have expected the Sudetenland to be annexed and expect the rest of Czechosolvakia to meanwhile carry on regardless, there was a sort of inevitability in Munich that the Czechs would have to follow the ethnic Germans.

I think the wider point is that even knowing this, and perhaps even knowing his intentions for Poland, I don't think I would have supported a case for war, knowing what the average newspaper reader knew in 1938/ 1939. I'm not sure a lot of people would have supported it, by today's standards either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

2010? Ahhh, sure there ain't no Germans in Sudetenland since 1945, like :cool:

from the other hand, Moravian nationalist movement could finaly declare Independent state of Moravia-Slezia and get rid of the Prague regime altogether... I am with Moravians...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

TheZohan wrote: »
    Moved to History.

Moved to WWII/Walter Mitty.

Moved to WWII/Walter Mitty.

Down the garden path, best lock it as it's nothing to do with WWII!
    It started life in AH and is being passed around like a hot wallet.

It's a hypothetical scenario assuming Hitler was alive now and Chancellor of Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    A lot of people at the time had no issue with the annexation of the Sudetenland but did take issue with the later invasion of the remaining Czech lands (Slovakia declared independence albeit under a puppet Nazi government and its a widely forgotton fact that even Poland helped themselves to some crumbs from the table)

Good point.

The invasion of Sudetenland was on par with the invasion of Austria.
    Austria and Sudetenland were regarded as greater Germany, effectively.

The move in to Czech lands was regarded as more sinister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

FiSe wrote: »
    2010? Ahhh, sure there ain't no Germans in Sudetenland since 1945, like :cool:

Not true. I know a couple living in Moravia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Blow ins :D

Do we know much about this Hitler fella at this stage in history.Is he the kind of fella that you would have a pint with.I just don't like to jump to conclusions until I know a good bit about a fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

blinding wrote: »
    Napoleon v Russians = lost

Hitler v Russians = lost

Keep away from the Russians. They are not good for your health if you invade.

Funny thing is, is that Hitler made the same mistake that Namopleon did. he went into Russia and got caught up with the Russian winter. Also I believe Russia used the scorched earth policy against Naopleon as well. You'd think history would have thought Hitler to be a little open minded, but I guess History really does repeat itself.

As for the Prime Minister of Britain post WWII, I think he did what was best for HIS country. Britain and France were not ready for war at the time, especially against an country who had been developing their army for quite some time(albeit against the Treaty protocols) So I think as British man he proberly did the right thing and waited. But as an Irishman and a person who staunchely against Hitler invading Poland I think Britain should have done the right thing and declared war then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

blinding wrote: »
    Do we know much about this Hitler fella at this stage in history.Is he the kind of fella that you would have a pint with.I just don't like to jump to conclusions until I know a good bit about a fella.

I hear hes a teetotal Vegan, so probably one a them beatnik hippie types

what of this fella in russia, Uncle Joe, I hear him and this Hilter fella are in cahoots.

I hear hes a teetotal Vegan, so probably one a them beatnik hippie types.
    I do not think a fella that lives his life like that would be hard to get along with.

what of this fella in russia, Uncle Joe, I hear him and this Hilter fella are in cahoots..

Uncle Joe. I like the sound of him. He could be everybodies favourite Uncle.

All in all they sound like two lovely guys. What can go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the Brits should have declared war on Russia when they invaded Poland. Germany wanted an alliance with Britain.afterall the royal family was German and some German nobles were really English. war between the brother nations was therefore somewaht awkward

The 'Free Poles' fought and died so their country could be libertaed from a terrible dictator, only to be replaced by one who was much worse.
    the free Poles were taken for a ride by the Brits.

without WW2 there probably would have been no Iron Curtain for 40 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I don't think you could have expected the Sudetenland to be annexed and expect the rest of Czechosolvakia to meanwhile carry on regardless, there was a sort of inevitability in Munich that the Czechs would have to follow the ethnic Germans.

I think the wider point is that even knowing this, and perhaps even knowing his intentions for Poland, I don't think I would have supported a case for war, knowing what the average newspaper reader knew in 1938/ 1939. I'm not sure a lot of people would have supported it, by today's standards either.[/QUOTE]

the treaty of versailles laid the foundation for war nor hitler. he was only reclaiming German territory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the Brits should have declared war on Russia when they invaded Poland. Germany wanted an alliance with Britain.afterall the royal family was German and some German nobles were really English. war between the brother nations was therefore somewaht awkward

The 'Free Poles' fought and died so their country could be libertaed from a terrible dictator, only to be replaced by one who was much worse.
    the free Poles were taken for a ride by the Brits.

without WW2 there probably would have been no Iron Curtain for 40 years.

Do you mean in 1939 or when Russia started to push Germany back? because either way I don't think it would have been a good idea for Britain to make more enemies. Of course then again America would have developed the atom bomb and might have been able to help Britain take Russia just after the war ended with Germany, but at that time it would be completely bad because after years of war with the Axis, another war would have been even more horrible.

Anyway I prefer the way things worked out in the end. The Cold War was indeed a nasty bit of business but I believe it was all for the best in keeping the status quo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Fuinseog wrote: »

I think the wider point is that even knowing this, and perhaps even knowing his intentions for Poland, I don't think I would have supported a case for war, knowing what the average newspaper reader knew in 1938/ 1939. I'm not sure a lot of people would have supported it, by today's standards either.

the treaty of versailles laid the foundation for war nor hitler. he was only reclaiming German territory

I don't think that any part of Bohemia was ever part of Germany, it simply being populated over the centuries by migrating German speaking peoples when the territory was under the thumb of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The German border wasn't altered in that area as a result of the post WW1 carve-up.

Advertisement