Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mars Science Laboratory and our two friends

Options
  • 31-01-2010 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I wanted to open a discussion about the Mars Science Laboratory. The MSL has been destined for launch in 2011, and if you are as interested as I am in space science, the new 'sky crane' delivery method is intruiging.

It's powered by an RTG, and I hope it does it does as much work(or even more!) as our two little buddies on Mars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqqBy7C8gyU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Great video. The method of entry and landing seems a bit risky though. The failure of the chute or RCS jets would send the lander crashing into the martian surface. I know these things are checked a 1000 times over but it would be a worry for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Good video but do we not already know what the chemical composition of the rocks on Mars is?

I'd rather see them drill as far down as they possibly could to see could they find liquid water, and with that the possibility of life.

I guess that would take a bigger rover though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Looking forward to this flight. Great landing system system ok, sure hope it works:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

It's quite amazing to think that there is so much machinery alreaady on and around Mars. We've done quite a lot over the past two or so decades, don't you agree? I've ben looking for to the MSL, however, ever since I first heard about it's proposal years ago.

Kevin

Advertisement