Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does work make you feel?

Options
  • 31-01-2010 6:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am very bothered by work right now. Some days I feel good at work and feel like I am doing a great job but then other days (especially lately) I feel so un-confident. I hate admiting it but I feel like I am not as smart as I should be. I am constantly beating myself up and it really gets me down. I over analyze every situation to keep from making a mistake but it seems i try too hard and do something stupid. I get really nervous around my boss, even though he is nice, i just feel like he thinks Im not that good and wishes he would have hired someone else. He hasnt told me anything like that, but sometimes he notices things i havnt done right an i wonder if he regrets having me. I wish I was one of those people that just learn quickly and really confident in myself. I am also always comparing myself to others, which drives me crazy. It feels like no one else has this problem and just does everything right. I feel like I am the only person that doesnt always catch on right away. It's weird I like the job itself, I just dont like me and how I re act to situatons. If my brain and nerves would stop over reacting then I'd be ok probably. I want to be a successful person at work but right now i am having a hard time believing in myself. Does anyone else feel this way about work? Share your experiences.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Have you ever had a performance review or discussion? It sounds like, if you haven't it could be a good idea to ask for some feedback.

I went through a period of feeling a little like that at work. That I was working really hard but I didn't think my boss thought I was that great. She is very busy and expects a high standard from you. In hindsight she said did say I was doing a good job quite often but I was just making more of the negative things she said.

I had my performance review just after Christmas and it turns out she thinks I'm doing an excellent job and rated me very highly.

It was all in my head and it might be in yours too. I would definitely seek some feedback, if you haven't had any up until now. Even if there are a lot of negative things in it (which I'm sure there wouldn't be! :)) at least you know how your boss feels and can work on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yes.

I have felt like that for over a year now. I just feel like I'm completely useless and I can never do anything right. Somedays are great and I'm totally high by the end of them, and then more days, I'm at home beating myself up in my head - and occasionally in tears.
    Having said all that, I'm really glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks like that. I always think i must be the only one who goes around thinking like that. It's not helped by the fact that my boss is always telling us how wonderful one of the the people I work with is. When you're feeling a bit sensitive about how you are at your job, stuff like that doesn't help.

I've tried really hard to come up with a way to get over thinking like that, but I haven't been that successful. Obviously I don't show it at work, and I try not to let it affect how I work, but some days it's really upsetting. It's the people at home that get the brunt of my problems. The thing is that I think I'll be like this with most jobs. I'm not very happy in my current job either which isn't helping my case - i just want out , and it's making me feel twice as bad.

So I guess at the end of all that, i just want to say that you're not alone in thinking like that, and I'm so glad I'm not alone in thinking like that!!!

Advertisement