Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob days

• 31-01-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Hey. I have read on a few threads that some people have a hard time getting to play the sport, as they dont know many people who are into it. It has been sugested to go on your own, but speaking for myself, it is very intimidating to do that if you are just starting out.

I myself am only having my first skirmish next week, after weeks of convinceing my mates to come along, but I can see myself getting hooked, and only 1 of the lads has his own equipment, so it will be a bit too much finance wise for the rest to come along every fortnight or so.

So, back to my point. Would anybody be interested in a Noob day? Or a singles day? Where people who have noone else to play with would meet up at a site, get to know each other, and have the craic? I myself would love to see this happen, and I am wondering what everyone else thinks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

Commercially I don't think any site could afford to do a noobs day because they can't guarantee numbers and at the end of the day it’s all about the rent.

Your best bet is to approach a team; you will find that most people in this sport are oddly friendly and very helpful.

Best of luck and welcome to the sport.

J.D.R wrote: »
    Hey. I have read on a few threads that some people have a hard time getting to play the sport, as they dont know many people who are into it. It has been sugested to go on your own, but speaking for myself, it is very intimidating to do that if you are just starting out.

I myself am only having my first skirmish next week, after weeks of convinceing my mates to come along, but I can see myself getting hooked, and only 1 of the lads has his own equipment, so it will be a bit too much finance wise for the rest to come along every fortnight or so.

So, back to my point. Would anybody be interested in a Noob day? Or a singles day? Where people who have noone else to play with would meet up at a site, get to know each other, and have the craic? I myself would love to see this happen, and I am wondering what everyone else thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

In practice, most days at your average public venue are noob days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

This is again the whole team problem.

In England, the vast majority of players wont know eachother till they have played a site for a few weeks... and even then people move around.

Go to your first skirmish hon, and start talking to other players. Play airsoft, enjoy it, and make new friends... thats what the game is about. You go with your existing group of friends, what do you gain? a few welts and loose some money?

Go, play, meet new people from different backgrounds and professions and lifestyles and broaden your horizons. Its intimidating, yes, I will admit at first, But once you gain a little confidence its honestly not much of an issue. Everyone was in your shoes once, and I'm sure people will make you feel welcome.

As Dave says... most days are like this.

Airsoft reloaded: Jaysus mate... people suggesting things like that are WHY theres no individual players hardly... everyone gets scared into a team because they think its the only way to play.

JDR: go, have fun, and meet people. Once you've played once or twice, you will know people, and it will be fine. Doing anything new is like this...

Thanks FK, your post was pretty much what I was trying to say. I blame jetlag for my inability to enunciate this morning, bleh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

went to my first skirmish yesterday at Limerick and didn't know anyone there.
    Met a great bunch of lads who were all very friendly and noobie tolerant :D
    my advice is turn up..explain you're a noobie and you'll be fine..
    at long as your honest and take ur hits people won't have a problem helping you out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Thanks. I plan on getting into it for real soon, so I will take all any advice on board.

But what I meant was, not to reant a site, or have a "noob Only" day, but have a saturday or sunday organised for a group off newbies to turn up at the same site on the same day, just so people don't feel so alone (I type as a single tear roles down my cheek).

I would never suggest to exclude any other players form the day, just have it set up so there are a few guarenteed noobs there aswell.

Define newbie? Someone that plays on thier own... or someone new to the sport?

Because honestly, the best way to learn to play, and get used to the sport is playing along side good players and regulars... experience rubs off :) they can teach you things, and not always verbally.

Well, when I say newbies, I would mean newbies, but also for single players if they wanted to join in. As I said, if this was to happen, which is looking more unlikely with the advice I am getting, then noone would be turned away. I myself would obviously not be saying what people can or can't do, as I haven't actually gone skirmishing yet.

Your average site has anywhere from 5 to 20 new players each week, and any site owners I know always make new people feel very welcome, so I reckon if you went along as a new person you'd find a lot of people in the same boat, and that it's not that hard of a thing to do :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

as gerr said any site owner worth his salt will know the good new guys will help them out, they will slit up the teams so new and experience players are together, it can be a bit daunting at first and this sport is full of know it all you like to show off and can overwhelm the new guys and this is where the negative elitist angle comes from, but this is a minority these will be far outweighed by the grounded players on site who will to be honest know your a new guy and normally go out of there way to help you

• Advertisement

Well, when I say newbies, I would mean newbies, but also for single players if they wanted to join in. As I said, if this was to happen, which is looking more unlikely with the advice I am getting, then noone would be turned away. I myself would obviously not be saying what people can or can't do, as I haven't actually gone skirmishing yet.
    Nobody currently IS turned away... I'm not sure if you get what we're saying hon... Airsoft is for everyone already :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I strolled out to my first skirmish ever into HRTA on what was supposed to be a closed night for regularls, but I had no idea.

Being shy when I meet new people at first, I was quickly welcomed by Paul who gave me a run down on the games rules, got me chronoed, and then Richie and Tony quickly noticed me from buying a gun in the shop the previous day, and brought me into the circle of chatter that was going down.

I was having some serious hop issue, ala, I didnt know guns had hops and I thought I'd to charge people to 10 feet and shoot them, then Defenderdude , being as around as ever, showed me what hop was and how it worked.

Went on to have a savage night and I was involved, and people purposefully went out of their way to get me involved in the banter, chat or whatever.

Its always easier to just stay in your crew and just play it safe.

But its alot more admirable when someone asks for help, you hlep them out as best you can, and if you see someone having trouble, you just give them some friendly advice, and if you see someone standing out in the cold, it doesnt hurt to say hello.

I always try to emulate the kindness and help I got when I first started, and it is one of the nicest thing in airsoft, that I must say we can all be proud off, the amount of onsite help from players, marshalls, site owners and retailers.

Its truly a sport where the most social inept ( hello i live in a fantasy world with elves) can come along and be made feel welcome

I was forced into playing airsoft by Kiwi and if he haden't kept it up every week I probably wouldn't have continued so it is a huge advantage having atleast one mate playing with you every week though its not a neccassity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

@Airsoft Reloaded:

When is the coolock warehouse re-opening? I live around the corner so it'd be dead handy for me to run home crying haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

in airsoft if you get 1 kill and take 15 hits for the day its the kill you remember

even tho we can be pedantic and bitchey on the net ion sites its very friendly and helpfull

come, play you'll always be welcomed is my experiance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

you can get no kills but complete the objective that can be an even better day, remember kill are not everything ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Puding wrote: »
    you can get no kills but complete the objective that can be an even better day, remember kill are not everything ;)

Best advice, and easiest way to win :D

I went on my own first time, you make friends easily at games, its good fun regardless, your first game is unlikely to run smoothly until you get the hang of it. I went into my first game with my battery in my pocket, not in my gun :)

your first game is unlikely to run smoothly until the bbs start flying
    Fixed ;)

Xinkai wrote: »
    @Airsoft Reloaded:

When is the coolock warehouse re-opening? I live around the corner so it'd be dead handy for me to run home crying haha

Its not re-opening bud, we're opening a place just by the airport so that will be handy enough for you. This isn't the place to talk about it either mate sorry.

*waves hand* This is not the airsoft site you are looking for...

• Advertisement

Right, I see now I had the wrong idea of Skirmishing in the begining. Thanks for all the advice, and I can now see myself at site in the future, with the mates or not. Thanks all

We've all been in your shoes JDR :) Welcome to a friendly and exciting hobby :)

Right, I see now I had the wrong idea of Skirmishing in the begining. Thanks for all the advice, and I can now see myself at site in the future, with the mates or not. Thanks all

Good man, hope to see you in the feild soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭cobra 08

I had my first skirmish the other week with a mate now he is not up for it anymore. But after talking to these lads Ill be going out solo next week.
    And having the regulars around on site is a big help as I found out when a couple of lads from the rats helped me with some scope problems. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

JDR.

If you can make it to wexford sometime your welcome at our site.
    We have new people all the time. Im a kildare man myself.. 5 minutes from Allenwoods so i can show you the ropes. There isnt a big emphasis on teams at our site. You have red and blue team, and we all meet at breaks and discuss our games, equipment etc.

Hop onto our forum if you can make it sometime. I'll surely have some prosperous people down soon too.

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

I would love to, but at only 17 i rely on lifts to get down, and wexford is a bit far. Maybe in the future sometime

No Problem, Always welcome, We have a great site planned for you.

lochdara wrote: »
    JDR.

If you can make it to wexford sometime your welcome at our site.
    We have new people all the time. Im a kildare man myself.. 5 minutes from Allenwoods so i can show you the ropes. There isnt a big emphasis on teams at our site. You have red and blue team, and we all meet at breaks and discuss our games, equipment etc.

Hop onto our forum if you can make it sometime. I'll surely have some prosperous people down soon too.
    EVERY site uses red and blue or variants Lochdara...

'teams' tend to be asigned to one side or the other... two factions as it were in the battle, in the reality of a skirmish, 'teams' merely equate to a squad that know eachother.

JDR: If you go down, pack your banjo ;)

Firekitten wrote: »
    EVERY site uses red and blue or variants Lochdara...

'teams' tend to be asigned to one side or the other... two factions as it were in the battle, in the reality of a skirmish, 'teams' merely equate to a squad that know eachother.

JDR: If you go down, pack your banjo ;)

What I said is we have red team and blue team, and your correct, its like every other site, but where you are wrong is at Sea-c each player chooses randomly a colour from a bag so you dont always get ur buddy on your team..

And as regards the Banjo, have you played on our site and do ya know the plans for 2010 ??:rolleyes:

And back to JDR,

You will be looked after. If you say your new you will be teamed up with a regular player.

• Advertisement

lochdara wrote: »
    What I said is we have red team and blue team, and your correct, its like every other site, but where you are wrong is at Sea-c each player chooses randomly a colour from a bag so you dont always get ur buddy on your team..

And as regards the Banjo, have you played on our site and do ya know the plans for 2010 ??:rolleyes:

And back to JDR,

You will be looked after. If you say your new you will be teamed up with a regular player.
    Who was talking about the site?
    :P Just Wexford babe.... where Wellies are apropriate club wear :D

What are 2010's plans? take over the world? (again)?

Advertisement