Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on 2.0 petrol `03 Xtrial?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diesel is miles better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....whilst it won't be light on juice, it's cheaper to buy, and will be cheaper to keep going as it gets old, compared to a diesel engine.

If you add up all the above, petrol is not always the Bad Guy.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I hope you plan on keeping it along time as you will be married to it. Petrol SUVs are almost sale proof these so haggle hard on the selling price.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭beetlebailey

So far not so good!:confused:

I have 5k cash and thought that this would be ideal for me as i`ve two kids( 6yrs and 3 mths) and do low milage , just school run, shopping etc.. so really looking for something with large boot for buggy,bike etc..,can take a bit of abuse from two kids and is reliable.
    Don`t really want something that drinks petrol and won`t be able to give away in a year or two.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A decent mini mpv or even a small estate car will do all that, and without the issues an XTrail petrol would have too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

So far not so good!:confused:

I have 5k cash and thought that this would be ideal for me as i`ve two kids( 6yrs and 3 mths) and do low milage , just school run, shopping etc.. so really looking for something with large boot for buggy,bike etc..,can take a bit of abuse from two kids and is reliable.
    Don`t really want something that drinks petrol and won`t be able to give away in a year or two.

So you don't need an Xtrail then.

Just thought it was a good price for a `03 Xtrail.
    What else could you get for the same money and year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

You dont need a suv a mondeo or a passat would be ideal passat has huge boot and a lot cheaper to run and keep than that thing

I'd buy something like this instead: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Scenic/1.4-16V-/200840190245380/advert?channel=CARS

As pointed out, you don't need an SUV for 2 kids, and certainly not a 2.0 -petrol OR diesel.

Alternatively something like this, even cheaper to run: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Fabia/COMBI-1./200945195786895/advert?channel=CARS

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Never really liked the look of the picasso and not sure about a 1.2 skoda ,would like something with a little more presence.

How much would the road tax be for the 2.0 xtrail ?

€614 per year.

Youll pick up a mondeo or passat fairly cheap now with a lot cheaper road tax. those x trails are expensive to maintain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You don't need a SUV / MPV for 2 kids and a bit of shopping!

Get a Skoda Octavia 1.4 petrol. Cheap to buy, to tax, to insure, to maintain. Cheap everything. Did I mention it has a huge boot?

Or if you want a bit more luxury, get a petrol car in the D-segment: Mondeo, Avensis, Rover 75, etc. These cars are very good value for money within your budget. You can easily find a low mileage one with a long NCT.

....not sure about a 1.2 skoda ,would like something with a little more presence.

...this is a false impression - the Skoda has the same NCAP rating as the X-trail. Probably because the Skoda is more cleverly engineered.

Been done to death here before, but NCAP ratings cannot be assumed, going by the size of the vehicle. A lot of bigger vehicles are worse, not better, than small ones, e.g, a brand new Toyota Urban Cruiser has the same NCAP rating as a............Smart car.

1-0 to Smart car on that, then........

Ode To The Motorist

Presence in this instance may not have too much to do with safety ratings perhaps?

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...this is a false impression - the Skoda has the same NCAP rating as the X-trail. Probably because the Skoda is more cleverly engineered.

Been done to death here before, but NCAP ratings cannot be assumed, going by the size of the vehicle. A lot of bigger vehicles are worse, not better, than small ones, e.g, a brand new Toyota Urban Cruiser has the same NCAP rating as a............Smart car.

1-0 to Smart car on that, then........

Yes i seen an episope of fifth gear where a land rover crashed in to a renault mpv. The renault came out a way way better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Might not be a bad buy if the OP will hang onto it for a very long time. It should be reliable. The mileage is low for the year and its probably been owned by the type of people who won't have abused it and will have serviced it religiously. The tax will be the same as a 2 litre diesel mondeo or avensis etc. There is loads of space inside and I'd suggest if the dealer was offered €4K cash he would give it serious consideration as this is a sale proof car. He wouldn't have given a huge amount on this car when it was traded in.

Plus it will be alot nicer that 1.2/1.4 Skodas or Citreons...Just my 2 cents

Advertisement