Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hydraulic PTO

• 31-01-2010 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Anyone familiar with hydraulically driven PTO? Up to what point are they effective please? How can they be used say for example on MF135 or MF390T?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

explain wha your on about a bit more n we see can we help ya out........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

fastrac94 wrote: »
    explain wha your on about a bit more n we see can we help ya out........

Ok fastrac, I'll try to explain a bit better. What I had in mind was using the tractor hydraulics (if possible) to drive a independent unit with PTO splines on it.

Therefore, I can use, for example, my PTO powered circular saw (McConnel) on the tractor and, at the same time, use a PTO powered 4m conveyor (Powerscreen modified) by having it on an independent PTO unit, driven by tractor hydraulics.

Is anything like this possible please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

you could get a hydraulic motor like what was used on the old mchale block cutters and make a frame for it and weld on a pto shaft.
    it would be fast enough for a conveyor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

ya mossforts idea is good..would it be possible to run both units on hydraulics.if so ya could use a pto pump like one thats used on a hedge cutter.....also this way ya could mount a valve chest outside beside where ya load the saw bench,this way if anything was to go wrong then ya cld stop everythig instantly instead of having to run for tractor cab...a built in bit of safety...any chance of a pic of it all in action?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

There's not all that much to photograph fastrac as the saw is pretty much the standard issue out of the McConnel factory way back in the 1970's (I think). The Powerscreen conveyor is fairly standard also, purchased from a local sandpit way back in the 1980's! The conveyor hasn't been in use for about 5 years. It's belt seems in OK condition as well as the head and tail drums. However, the saw runs very well and true as was using it over the past weekend in oak and ash.

It would be very handy though to have the conveyor running beside the saw.

The stuff may be old but we are not into timber commercially, just do a bit of firewood for ourselves, the relations and some pals.

We use a screw type log splitter also, driven by the PTO also which I was thinking about running off a hydraulically driven PTO.

That safety idea of yours is a good one. I'll be keeping it in mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement