Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing locks on internal doors

• 31-01-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I bought a house second hand and have no keys for the internal doors. Can I change the locks without having to replace the doors

(DIY novice here)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lostdesign

Simple answer is yes but it depends on lock types and door type, maybe post a pic of them and people could help you out more.

A lot of internal door locks use standerised keys so if you can buy/borrow a set of keys from friends/neighbours etc to check your doors and see what works it could be alot cheaper then replacing locks.

Obvioulsy the above depends on the type of lock, if they are not standard then it does not apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Alpha10

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi All,

I bought a house second hand and have no keys for the internal doors. Can I change the locks without having to replace the doors

(DIY novice here)

Yeah you can change the locks no problem with basic tools. If they are standard sash locks you'll need a screwdriver and possibly an allen key.

If your doors have handles and a separate cover plate for the lock there should be a grub screw in the underside of the handles. You release this with a suitable allen key and take the handles off. There will be 2 screws in the lock face plate, release these and your lock should come out.

Make sure you replace the locks with the same model as there are slight differences between makes. It will save you having to chop anything out.

If the doors have a cover plate over the handles and the lock there won't be a grub screw just 4 screws into the cover plate that should be visible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You could buy range of keys in any key cutting place. They will only be about a euro each. Do this remove proceeding with changing the locks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,616 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If they are the cheaper (old) flush doors they are mostly filled with a cardboard waffle with only a very small solid section for the lock/handle to fit on. You need to replace with an identical lock as there is often no scope to change the placement. Got the teeshirt, replaced the doors!

Advertisement