Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 v's Vista

• 31-01-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Dont really know a huge amount about computing, but I do know my laptop runs very slow compared to my very old desktop. Laptop is using Vista and research I have done seems to say Viasta aint good at all in the slightest.

It can take a few mins for programmes like word to open up and internet will often stall and shut down on my laptop.

Would it be worth me buying Windows 7 and installing this?

is it much work unistalling Vista, and will I lose all saved data on my laptop?

If I was to buy Windows 7 could I install on my laptop and a new desktop I was thinking of buying or can it only be installed on 1 machine?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

It would be worth getting rid of vista for the simple reason it is a very bad operating system in comparison to windows 7 but i found out very interesting info when installing my os check this out could save ya a lot of money
    http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/information/windows-xp-vs-vista-vs-7/

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DUBISAK

Very interesting indeed, is it much work uninstalling an OS and reinstalling another and would i lose info saved on my laptop like word docs etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭lostdesign

Checkout this forum for windows 7 upgrade info

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055759938&highlight=windows+upgrade+vista

A upgrade will usually only allow it to be installed on one machine (i.e. only one licence provided)

If you search around you can prob find a multi license but id say it isn't cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭lostdesign

DUBISAK wrote: »

If I was to buy Windows 7 could I install on my laptop and a new desktop I was thinking of buying or can it only be installed on 1 machine?

Backup is the key, installing windows 7 is straight forward if you buy an upgrade, its essentially like installing a new program, insert the disc and follow the instructions. However make sure you back up everything just in case.

If your buying a new desktop, buy it with windows 7 on it, makes much more sense then upgrading!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 macdragon76

You could look at this for installing on mulitple systems; its a 3 user licence multi pack
    http://forums.legitreviews.com/about23613.html

Windows 7 is a more solid upgrade of windows Vista, it just works, just not have any hissy fits.

interestingly I know someone who was trying to install Vista on an old win 95 system, it failed to install. For the laugh he tried Windows 7 and installs OK!

So even if you want to rejuvenate an old system and move away from windows 95/98, windows 7 might work for you.

It appears that Microsoft got it right for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DUBISAK

Was looking into building PC so if went down that road would be good to get more than 1 licence. I am sure installing is not to hard to do but how does 1 go about uninstalling Vista?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dont really know a huge amount about computing, but I do know my laptop runs very slow compared to my very old desktop. Laptop is using Vista and research I have done seems to say Viasta aint good at all in the slightest.
    It can take a few mins for programmes like word to open up and internet will often stall and shut down on my laptop.
    Would it be worth me buying Windows 7 and installing this?
    Very interesting indeed, is it much work uninstalling an OS and reinstalling another and would i lose info saved on my laptop like word docs etc?

"Would it be worth me buying Windows 7 and installing this?"

Instead of Vista - Yes - no question there. "Win 7" is far, far better in a lot of ways.
    How old is your laptop by the way?
    You have two simple immediate ways to speed up your system.
    (There are other ways but are more technical)

1. To insert more memory (RAM) - Vista alone eats memory up and leaves bugger all for the rest of your applications - and chances are yours has very little to start off with by the sounds of it.
    (If you go into your "Control Panel" - click on "System" icon and read down, somewhere it will say "Installed memory" and it will tell you how much you have inserted inside on the underside of your laptop - my first guess is that it will say 1/2 GB at most)

2. You can install "Win 7" - Win 7 handles memory much, much better, it also manages the other apps' (applications) better as well in conjunction with the operating system. Win 7 is a lot less draining on resources in every way than the horrible, horrible beast called "Vista".
    In short, Win 7 is a hell of an improvement over Vista and if you have the money/opportunity to convert - do so, you won't regret it.

Which option you chose above is down to you and the amount of money you have to spend. If you could do both even better.

"is it much work unistalling Vista"

If you buy "Win 7" you will get it and a serial number.
    You insert the DVD into your drive (your laptop has a dvd drive - not cd - just checking) and let it start-up itself. You will be shown a series of simplistic screens that give you clear laid out options.
    One of these screens will ask you if you want to "upgrade" or do a clean full install (See "NOTE 1" just below).
    The "upgrade" option will look at already installed Vista and overwrite it in places with new computer code which is the new parts of "Win 7" being inserted.
    The clean install option can give you a chance to just wipe your laptop completely of Vista and its operating system code and do a full complete fresh install of "Win 7" and its newer better written code.
    (Note: In the "advanced options" during the installing of "win 7" you will be presented with the above option to wipe (FORMAT) the laptop.

Microsoft (and many techies to be honest) recommend that you do a complete clean full install rather than upgrade.
    NOTE 1: This option will only be available to you if you have purchased a full copy of "Win 7" - and not just the "Upgrade" version of "Win 7"

YOU DON'T HAVE TO UNINSTALL VISTA - IT WILL BE ALTERED OR JUST OVER WRITTEN BY THE NEW "WIN 7" BEING PUT ON.

"will I lose all saved data on my laptop?"

Installing a new operating system is now really straight forward.
    Has your laptop got a cd/dvd burner? Have you got a USB memory stick?
    (If the worst came to the worst - you could even back-up a file by emailing a copy of it to yourself. Handy random tip: I have a photocopy of my passport emailed to myself, left undeleted and is accessible from anywhere in the world should the physical one get stolen. You could do this with a CV, etc - even "Word" password protect it first!)

If your using word and other office apps' on your laptop, by default "office" will be shoving your documents, etc into your main "Documents" folder.
    Copy this entire folder to a memory stick (I'm keeping the job as simplistic as possible) or burn the whole thing to cd/dvd.
    Same copying/burning job applies to other locations where your files might also be saved on your laptop.
    - Although upgrading an operating system should (depending on what option you select during the upgrading process) leave your own files alone ALWAYS to be safe, back up your personal stuff.

"If I was to buy Windows 7 could I install on my laptop and a new desktop I was thinking of buying or can it only be installed on 1 machine?"

For home users and not commercial/business users when you buy a copy of a new operating system such as Win 7, you can only install the new version once.
    There are special licences that allow multiple installs but these are for business use and expensive. Out of the realms of most home users.

I hope the above answer some of your worries. Good luck. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Better boot times on window 7.
    Vista is horrible slow and painful.

I will never go back. I have refuse to have my work laptop be upgraded from XP to vista. XP is still far better than vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

This is a job I have to do as well. I have just got the disk from Toshiba.

My toshiba came with no back up disk, everything was on the hard drive. Office, and all the toshiba files, the works.

If I do a clean install, wont I lose everything else?

I have been setting restore points but wont I lose them as well?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

This is a job I have to do as well. I have just got the disk from Toshiba.
    My toshiba came with no back up disk, everything was on the hard drive. Office, and all the toshiba files, the works.
    If I do a clean install, wont I lose everything else?
    I have been setting restore points but wont I lose them as well?
    If you do a clean install, Yes - you will lose everything on it.
    What you could do (only if you feel your confident enough) is repartition the hard dive and create another separate drive.
    (Partition Magic or similar high quality software tools will do this for you and keep your files and other original system safely)

Either copy all your data to there or use that new drive as the location to install your newer operating system.
    If you choose this second option you will (when the install is complete) have a text selection at start-up of your system between XP/Vista and Win 7.

Dual Boot info for example HERE or HERE or HERE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

limklad wrote: »
    Better boot times on window 7.
    Vista is horrible slow and painful.
    Agreed:)

Can't believe the speed at which my laptop boots and shuts down ,with windows 7.
    Also updating seems to be almost invisible and the menu structures seem so much cleaner.

It's actually enjoyable using it:confused::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I didn't have time to read all the posts before me (O.k i was to lazy)

But yes If you are running Vista currenty and start to run Windows 7 you will see a huge jump straight away!!!

My old PC (Which is still in use downstairs) is a dual core pentium @ 1.6GHz with 1GB of ram and 160GB of HDD space

When it was bought new it ran Vista, and i honestly didnt care much for how good/bad Vista was Vs XP and i actully stuck up for Vista...But Windows 7 looks better then Vista does, Is much more powerfull, Needs less spec's to do normal task's and is just all around better then Vista was

When i installed Windows 7 on the PC downstairs i saw a HUGE Jump

It took me 10-20Mins from Off to ready to use on Vista

With Windows 7 it took me 1-3 Mins on a low spec machine

I now currently Run all my PC's on Windows 7 and it is way better then Vista in everyway

So i would defo say go out and get Windows 7 as you will see a huge jump from what you are currently getting from Vista
    Hope I helped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 OFlaherty

Two things. 1 - Win 7 is designed to run on the same hardware as Vista but will significantly out perform it. That's not just from the literature, but from my own personal experience as well.

It's also far better and more stable operating system so definitely worth the upgrade.

2. I've performed a number of Vista - Win 7 upgrades and they've went smoothly, but I would recommend that if you have the time, format and reinstall from Win 7 form scratch. You'll thank yourself for it in the future :)

Advertisement