Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is required to build a PC

Options
  • 31-01-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I am a novice at this, but reading this forum has converted me from buying a PC in a shop to building my own. Self build seems not only to offer better value but more interesting and I am sure will offer more satsifaction after buillt.

As I say I am a complete novice, so can anyone tell me everything I need to build?

I dont need specific manufactueres names as I can read other posters to get their views on what is the best CPU etc, but other than CPU and hard drive I am not sure what other parts I require to build a PC.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Case
    PSU
    CPU
    RAM
    MOTHERBOARD
    HDD
    WIRELESS NIC
    MOUSE?KEYBOARD
    GRAFFIC CARD
    OS
    MONITOR
    (SORRY MY CAPD KEY IS FECKIN STUCK)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DUBISAK

Thank you Lab mouse,

Can you tell me what WIRELESS NIC is?

Take it would also need a Cd/DVD drive or do you have that included on the list under abbreviation?

Also, could I use the case of my current desktop? Do all parts fit all cases?

NETWORK INTERFACE CARD>

SORRY FORGOT ABOUT DVD PLAYER>THE MOTHERBOARD WILL COME WITH WIRED NETWORK BUT NOT WIRELESS SO IF YOU CAN CONNECT USING A CABLE YOU CAN FORGET ABOUT THE WIRELESS CARD>

ALSO ITS NOT AS HARD AS YOU THINK TO BUILD>JUST DOUBLE CHECK THAT ALL PARTS ARE COMPATIBLE FIRST AND HOPEFULLY YOU SHOULD A FAIRLY EASY BUILD>

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭encryptix

DUBISAK wrote: »
    Thank you Lab mouse,

Can you tell me what WIRELESS NIC is?

its a wireless network card, for connecting to the router without a wire.
    Take it would also need a Cd/DVD drive or do you have that included on the list under abbreviation?

you'd need a cd/dvd drive
    Also, could I use the case of my current desktop? Do all parts fit all cases?
    No, different parts are different sizes, mb and cases come in different sizes.

Link with some info: http://www.xoxide.com/buy-computer-cases.html

ALOT OF THE MOTHERBOARDS USED IN DELL ETC WOULD HAVE DIFFERENT HOLES WHERE THE MOBO IS MOUNTED ON THE CASE AS COMPARED WITH NEW MOTHERBOARDS>ALSO WITH THE NEWER GRAFFICS CARDS WHICH ARE BEASTS WOULDNT FIT IN THE CASE>

BEATEN TO IT!
    HAD ENOUGH OFF TO GET A SCREW DRIVER TO POP THE CAPS KEY!

GOOD LUCK WITH THE BUILD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    OS

Just in case you're wondering what this is, it's an Operating system.

My guide to building a pc would go a little bit more like this;

1. You need to figure out why you want the pc and what you need it to do.
    Now this may seem obvious enough, but you really need to define your uses b4 doing anything else.

2. Choosing the components. Now funnily enough this can take the longest out of all the steps(even building). thankfully for anyone who posts here, there's a lot of help available. The more heads the better at this stage. You should be prepared to do your own research too, we can only tell you so much and we're not gonna look at reviews for each of your specific components or check up on reliability issues(+stuff).

3. Choosing the cheapest supplier. Which can take a bit of time too it's a bit odd at the moment. Ebuyer.com was the cheapest for a while, so was hardwareversand.de and pixmania came up trumps just a couple of weeks ago for a build. Although if you go with any of the places i've mentioned you will not be "ripped off"

4. Build the thing, really not that difficult. After you do a bit of research with step 1 you'll have an idea of at least what each component looks like! In reviews they'll prob mention some things to look out for, building tips and other helpful info. Even after all that you'll still have the motherboard's and the case's manuals! Which are really so easy to follow.

I think that's all you really need to know for now.

If you decide to go ahead and try a build then make a new thread on this forum and tell us what you'll be using the pc for(step 1) and we'll help you with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Agreed:

Step one is the key.

Consider the following:

Appearance,

Size,

Noise levels,

Power consumption,

Games graphics power,

Computing power (picture and video editing)

Storage space (music & video)

Do you want to watch TV, or listen to music?

Then you might need a TV card, Analogue or digital, etc.

Watch DVDs or BluRay?

Suppliers mentioned above are good, I use pixmania myself at the moment.

Post up your thoughts and we'll give our versions of what you should do.

I love desiging and building PCs, I've even built my own cases!

WildeFalcon

Thank you all for your help, the vast majority of what I will be doing will be video editing so I need to have something that is poweful, at the moment there is a delay each time I try to edit a clip etc.

For this reason what would be the most important the CPU or the RAM? I can justify spening big on this.

Do peripherals like keyboard / mouse connect to motherboard?

How do I find out if all bits and bobs are compaitbale, will such be advised on item description on retailer website?

I am looking forward to researching what are best products but just want to make sure I have it clear in my head exactly what components I need

Thank you all for your help, the vast majority of what I will be doing will be video editing so I need to have something that is poweful, at the moment there is a delay each time I try to edit a clip etc.

For this reason what would be the most important the CPU or the RAM? I can justify spening big on this.

Do peripherals like keyboard / mouse connect to motherboard?

How do I find out if all bits and bobs are compaitbale, will such be advised on item description on retailer website?

I am looking forward to researching what are best products but just want to make sure I have it clear in my head exactly what components I need

Well we'll help you with the whole compatibility aspect of it(it's not that big of a deal and very simple). If you're video editing ram, cpu and the gpu can effect it.

What software do you use?

Also do you have any kind budget in mind?
    Might also be worth finding out what pc you have at the moment and it's specs

Right,

If you are going for video editing you need:

The fastest CPU you can afford.
    The most RAM you can afford
    and a big hard disk.

This is where it gets .... interesting.

There are a number of varities of CPU - from two major suppliers:

Intel and AMD. Both are good, I prefer intel.

Each supplier has two or three main types of CPU for sale at any one time (I'm ignoring laptops- for clarity).
    Within each type there are a range of speeds and power.

For example, a Core 2 duo CPU is available at, say 1.5 Ghz or AT 2.5 Ghz, with the 2.5 Ghz being the more powerful (faster).

The trick is the motherboard must match the CPU.
    You can usually tell by the connector between the CPU and the motherboard. It will be something like a Socket 775 motherboard and cpu, for example.

The next thing is the speed of the motherboard and memory.

Again, faster is better. these typically range from, say 533 to 1066 and beyond. This must match the CPU too (in addition to the 1.5Ghz thing).

I'm sure someone will recommend a website that covers this in more detail - there may be advice in the stickys at the top of the page too.

As for keyboards and mice.

The motherboard has a heap of different plug sockets on it (built in). The usual ones for keyboards and mice are either USB or PS2, both work with wires and wireless. No real difference from your perspective. Some motherboards have both, all have USB.

Wired mice and keyboards are cheapest, though get an optical mouse whatever you do. Last one I bought was 2£ in Tescos in the UK (should have bought 10!!). Optical mice don't have the little ball, and are much less prone to picking up dirt. They don't work so good on shiney surfaces, though.

Will you be using a graphics tablet?

How do you transfer the data from the video capture device? This is important. You might need a "firewire" socket. Or you may need a card reader, or a S-Video input.

Think about what you might be using in the near future too. What I tend to do is buy a better motherboard and slower CPU, and in 6 months time, when funds permit, swap the cpu for a faster one, and sell the old one on. In the 6 months the faster CPU drops significiantly in price, wheras the slower cpu only falls a small bit.

WildeFalcon.

• Advertisement

Right,

If you are going for video editing you need:

The fastest CPU you can afford.
    The most RAM you can afford
    and a big hard disk.

Think about what you might be using in the near future too. What I tend to do is buy a better motherboard and slower CPU, and in 6 months time, when funds permit, swap the cpu for a faster one

Yeah i'm not sure about this advice. I mean for someone with an endless amount of money it's not the worst idea to switch cpu's 2 times a year. Although it's not something I would recommend.

Getting a cheaper cpu and then overclocking it makes a lot more sense and saves a heck of a lot money.

On the ram thing, em not sure if anything over 6gigs would be used even in video editing.

I know where you are coming from, but video just eats memory, especially when using Adobe products. If you've 4 or 5 clips loaded, each with different effects layered on them it can use a LOT of memory.

I DO say "you can afford", and meant it in the context of spending money on either a cpu or a fancy case or graphics card. Perhaps I should have said that.

Most modern DirectX 10 cards would be adequate for video editing - it's not 3 dimentional so the power of the 3d engine is unused.

Of course we are assuming the OP is using a PC, not a Mac.

As for swapping CPUs I am uncomfortable with overclocking on work machines. It is fine for a hobby machine, but it does carry extra risk, and I'd not recommend it for a production environment.

The fastest CPU today is probably going to fall in price by 30% in the next 6 months as faster cpus are released, wheras a midrange CPU will only drop by 5%.

So buy a mid range now, and trade it in in six months for very little extra cost. As the top of the range is often twice the price of mid range this works as a cost effective way of keeping a machine current.

WildeFalcon

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

A little caveat for you- before buidling, read a few good guides or have someone experienced with you. It is quite simple, but if you are a total novice you could miss something small and panic, or like two of my friends make the simple but rather drastic mistake of bolting the motherboard straight to your case (should be placed on risers).

Not so worried aout the building of the physical pc, at that I am confident. Its just geting all the right bits, and them being compatable. I have time to build, as I dont need right away, so i can afford to spend a bit each month which should allow me a decent budget.

I am looking at processors at the moment, what is the most important specifications with the processor. i assume the higher the GHZ is the better?? I have deceided on Intel i5 or i7.

Can you tell me what the below jargon means,
    Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-860

Quad Core, 2.80Ghz, Socket 1156, 8MB, 95W, Boxed w/fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

"Quad" means the PC has 4 logical cores.

i7-860 is Intels code/branding of the CPU.

2.8Ghz is the clock speed. It roughly translates into how many operations the cores can perform per second, although there are other variables in play.

Socket 1156 is literally the physical socket type used to connect the CPU to the motherboard. A socket 1156 CPU requires a socket 1156 mobo.

8MB refers to the L3 cache size. This translates into how many operations can be stored locally on the CPU. Bigger is better usually as you can queue them to speed things up.

95W refers to the 'Thermal Design Power' or TDP. It's the maximum power that the CPU draws. It signifies how much electricity it uses and in turn the heat it will generate, or something along those lines.

Thanks leninbenjamin,

I assume that Quad is better than Duo, but can you tell me which is better a Quad with lower GHz or a duo with higher GHz?

The code/branding of teh cpu. I would have assumed that the cpu with teh highest number at the end would make it the newest and best, but basing on price this does not always seem to be right. (i.e i5-660 is more expensive than i5-750)

In relation to L3 cache size, you say the bigger the better but is it more important to have Quad / duo or higher Ghz than L3 cache size. Supose what I am asking is what is the most important part of the CPU the Quad / Duo, GHz or L3 cache size?

Finally, in relation to the TDP, is it the higher or lower the number the best on this?

I am getting there lads, slowly but surely I feel. I should be in bed, but researching and pricing different components is very addictive.... My plan is to research each component at a time, when settled on one move onto the next... Thank you all for the help

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Thanks leninbenjamin,

I assume that Quad is better than Duo, but can you tell me which is better a Quad with lower GHz or a duo with higher GHz?

Been raiding the wine cellar so apologies for any typos etc. Good questions might I add :) In general the quad is better than a dual, however it does depend on your usage profile somewhat. If you are running alot of different programs then a quad is better for multitasking. However you are running a single CPU intensive program (like a game for example), then it depends almost entirely on whether or not the program designed to be multi-threaded (can use multiple cores at the same time). If a program is limited by poor design and can only use one or two cores at a time then the higher clocked dual core will do better. No reason not to get a quad nowadays IMO as more and more programs are becoming fully multithreaded
    The code/branding of teh cpu. I would have assumed that the cpu with teh highest number at the end would make it the newest and best, but basing on price this does not always seem to be right. (i.e i5-660 is more expensive than i5-750)

You'd think that wouldn't you :pac: Not always the case though, it is best to look at other specs.

In relation to L3 cache size, you say the bigger the better but is it more important to have Quad / duo or higher Ghz than L3 cache size. Supose what I am asking is what is the most important part of the CPU the Quad / Duo, GHz or L3 cache size?

The L3 cache is a relatively recent addition to CPUs and is memory that is shared between all the CPU cores. So a quad should have a bigger L3 cache than a Dual core. As more and more apps become properly multitreaded I would say that having a quad is the most important factor, followed by the frequency. Probably the least important factor is the L3 cache as it should just be the appropriate size for the chip design. 1.5/2MB per core seems to be about the norm these days. (The L3 cache is not even strictly nescessary as Athlon II or Core 2 chips do not even have one AFAIK).
    Finally, in relation to the TDP, is it the higher or lower the number the best on this?

Mmm... loads of factors at play here but once upon a time the simple answer was more powerful a chip the higher its TDP would be. The trend nowadays is for same/decreasing TDP while still managing to increase performance (more energy efficency basically). For example the i5 range have the same/lower TDPs than core duo quads despite being far more powerful. Also currently Intel TDPs are quite a bit lower than AMDs, the TDP of the Intel i5 - 750 is 95W while the current AMD 965BE is 125W even though they give a roughly similar performance out of the box.
    I am getting there lads, slowly but surely I feel. I should be in bed, but researching and pricing different components is very addictive.... My plan is to research each component at a time, when settled on one move onto the next... Thank you all for the help

Glad you are enjoying the experience thus far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I think just to make it a bit simpler we can focus on the main part of the computer for now - the CPU

If you tell us you have a low budget for this entire PC, e.g. 500 euros, then I think the consensus is to perhaps go with AMD as they offer more budget orientated chips.

If you have more, e.g. 800 euros+ to spend then I believe it would be better to go with Intel at the moment, as they are more performance based.

Assuming you have a decent budget, then one of the best price/performance CPU's at the moment is the Intel Quad Core i5 750. I think almost everyone here would have no problem recommending that chip.

The next step is to go and read a good review of that chip from a decent site, e.g. anandtech
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3634

From this review you will get an overview of the chip and also a comparison of which chips are better/worse than it. You can also focus on the video editing benchmarks. From here you can decide if you like the chip or if you want to spend higher amounts for increasingly smaller performance gains.

Once you have the budget you want to spend on the PC and a fair idea of the CPU you want, then building a system around it is just a case of getting compatible components (motherboard, ram, etc).

However the question of WHICH compatible components from the huge selection can be very daunting..

Hence we are here to help people choose. For example, I know most guys here would generally recommend ..

harddrives - Samsung F series

graphic cards - ATI 5000 series

power supply units - Corsair models

and so on..

Getting right up to date on all the latest parts for PCs is a very big task, however if you break it down into the most important components and what exactly you have to spend/need the PC for, then the whole process is a lot simpler.

Good advise Jonny7, this is what I am basing on. Starting with CPU and working from there and learning as much about each component as I can.

My budget would be above 800e, as I will not be buying all components togther and spread out over a few months will allow me to invest at higher end.

Will focus on CPU choice later today, will come back and update post this evening with what I came up with and see what people think.

After extensive research on video editing websites and the like, I have deceided to invest in the below
    Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920

Quad Core, 2.66Ghz, Socket 1366, 8MB, 130W, Boxed w/fan

This was the most recommended processor along with i7-860. The 920 won out basicallydue to people thinking the fact it is 1366 rather than 1156 socket is better for future proofing. Any thoughts on this?

Also, one article I read said GPU is most important, what is this?

Taking it that the processor is settled upon, what should be the next item to look at in the build?

• Advertisement

After extensive research on video editing websites and the like, I have deceided to invest in the below

This was the most recommended processor along with i7-860. The 920 won out basicallydue to people thinking the fact it is 1366 rather than 1156 socket is better for future proofing. Any thoughts on this?

It's a horse of a CPU all right, I have one myself and its performed very well for me. There's not a huge amount of difference between it and the 860 though, if anything the 860 is a better CPU as I think it uses less power and overclocks slightly better.

As for 1366 vs 1156, people will give you different opinions depending on what you plan for it. The important part to remember though is that 1366 is the enterprise platform at the end of the day, it's aimed more at servers not desktop PCs and it costs a bit more because of this. In terms of why it's better, well it will perform slightly better if you're looking to add 2 or more graphics cards to your machine, and it has an extra memory channel which might make a difference for encoding although I'm not sure how much. You'll be happy whichever route you go tbh, but you might save a little bit by 1156.

GPU is literally the chip that does all the work on a graphics card. People tend to just refer to the graphics/video card as GPU for short.
    Taking it that the processor is settled upon, what should be the next item to look at in the build?

Mobo and RAM I guess. I'm not sure it's that helpful to think of it in linear terms of what's next though, most people will chop and change their lists the whole time depending on what they want to priortise. See what you're budget will get for an 1366 build and what it'll get you for an 1156 or even an AM3. Might be able to fit in more HDDs/Bluray depending on what platform you go for so don't rule anything out at this early stage tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Both would be excellent CPUs if that is your budget range, if you want to save a few quid I would reccomend looking at the i5s. I wouldn't say that the 1366 is any more future proofed, as certain as death and taxes is the the fact that CPU socket get phased out after a few years. 1366 aimed at the higher end of the market than the 1156 which is targeted at mainstream users. The knock on effect of going for 1366 is that the motherboards are more expensive and they use tri channel instead of dual channel memory which will also cost you an extra stick of RAM.

GPU means Graphics processor Unit, or graphics card.

EDIT: WAAAAY too slow with this reply:p

So are there 2 types of mother boards, 1366 sockets and 1156 sockets? Do other componets, such as ram, require to be capitable with the mobo like the processor, or are they universal?

Also, if I want to have mulitple USB ports, some on the front of the machine and some on the back, will this reduce the mobo selection or would I require 2 mobo?

Does each socket (ie mouse socket, monitor socket, usb socket etc) need to connect to the mobo?

Also what do you plan on using your computer for, as you can juggle the budget around to get the best components for your planned usage.

Just as an example example if it was primarly for gaming I would ditch the i7 for an i5, and move the difference to the graphics card budget. In almost all cases the extra 80 or so spent on the GPU instead of the CPU would give you a much bigger performance boost in gaming.

So are there 2 types of mother boards, 1366 sockets and 1156 sockets? Do other componets, such as ram, require to be capitable with the mobo like the processor, or are they universal?

The AM3/1156 and 1366 sockets all use DDR3 memory. And the graphics cards for these will be PCI-express. Care is still required when puchasing as there are older standards still around like DDR2 memory which the newer platforms no longer use
    Also, if I want to have mulitple USB ports, some on the front of the machine and some on the back, will this reduce the mobo selection or would I require 2 mobo?

Practically any decent motherboard will come with at least 6-8 USB ports on the back and support for some front USB ports.
    Does each socket (ie mouse socket, monitor socket, usb socket etc) need to connect to the mobo?

The ports are all on the edge of the motherboard and line up inside the case so that they are accessible from the back of the case (The standard that makes sure of this is called ATX). The front ports on the case as well as the power and reset buttons will need to be connected to the motherboards via wired connectors (Very easy).

There are loads of different sockets. At the moment Intel have about 5 or 6, LGA775 is old and will be phased out soon, LGA1156 and LGA1366 as have been mentioned are the primary sockets for desktops and then there are the ones for laptops and the atoms (don't know the names off hand). AMD on the other hand have two of interest at the moment AM2+ and AM3 (and again I can't remember the ones use in laptops).

RAM doesn't depend on socket, but it still depends on the mobo. There are many different types of RAM, mainly differentiated by their speed, voltage and the slot type they use. For example DDR3 (type) PC3-10600 (model number indicating speed) 1.5v (voltage) 240pin (physical connection type). The exact RAM you need will be specified by your Mobo manufacturer.

Your CPU cooler will depend on the CPU socket.

Graphics cards use a different type of connection, PCI-express. There's generally only one standard at a time for graphics cards. Older graphics cards would have used the AGP connection for example, but these have been phased out.

Hard drives and optical drives will then be determined by the motherboard, but like graphics cards there tends to be only one dominant standard at any point in time (for home users at least). You'll be looking for SATA drives, there are slightly different versions of SATA (revisions 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0). 3.0 (aka SATA-600) is new whereas 2.0 (aka SATA-300) is the most common in retailers at the moment afaik, but I think everything is backwards compatible so you should be able to buy a SATA3 drive and use it on almost all mobos sold today.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Don't forget komplett.ie their site makes choosing compatible parts easy.
    i.e. if you start by picking a cpu then the site will list compatible motherboards and ram and the same thing if you start with the mobo then it will list compatible cpu's and other stuff. its very handy even if you dont end up buying from them its a good way to build up a shopping list of compatible parts.
    Its hard to beat their prices anyway, but shop around to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Don't know if its already been mentioned but there is a difference between the RAM setup on 1156 and 1366 sockets. 1156 is dual channel so to take advantage of that you need 2 matching sticks of RAM of the same size, you also need to consult your motherboard manual to ensure they are in the right slots. 1366 is the same concept except it is triple channel.

There is a lot of info to take onboard in this thread, it will all make sense once you sit down to put together your PC. The main thing right now is to make sure you order compatible components. Maybe post up of list of components you plan to buy and then we can help you refine it.

Advertisement