Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP - sick guinea pig

Options
  • 31-01-2010 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi

i have 2 guinea pigs !

one is looking sick she is not moving around much & eats very little.
    she is breathing heavily & is losing weight.

im new to owning guinea pigs so i haven't the first clue but i suspect the cold may have affected her she is housed indoors but my home can get quite cold at night as it was -5 for the last 2 nights.

im very worried any advice ?

please don't say TAKE HER TO THE VET as my vet has told me to let her be as he isn't too well up on small furries.

she is only 6 months old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

sunpearl wrote: »
    hi

i have 2 guinea pigs !

one is looking sick she is not moving around much & eats very little.
    she is breathing heavily & is losing weight.

im new to owning guinea pigs so i haven't the first clue but i suspect the cold may have affected her she is housed indoors but my home can get quite cold at night as it was -5 for the last 2 nights.

im very worried any advice ?

please don't say TAKE HER TO THE VET as my vet has told me to let her be as he isn't too well up on small furries.

she is only 6 months old.

I had a similar problem with a guinea pig at 4 months old and i had to hold the water bottle to his mouth for him to drink and he would nibble on a bit of carrot if i held it up to him , it took atention like that plus a shot of antibiotics from the vet to sort him . Guinea pigs and other smallies can go downhill fast , so keep her hydrated if you can by putting water bottle up to mouth etc and see if she drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You need to get the guinea to another vet straight away, it could be anything but probably a respiratory infection or something like that that may require antibiotics.
    You cannot delay with guinea pigs and simply guessing what might be wrong isn't good enough. If you need to travel further afield for a vet that knows what they are doing then do.

Hopefully the poor thing hasn't already passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

sunpearl wrote: »
    :confused: the first thing to do would be to find a vet who is "well up on small furries".

Hope he's ok, it's horrible when your pet is sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sunpearl

hi all

thanks for the replies.

sadly she died in the night. i tried everything keeping her warm, offering her food, water. i have NO vet near by to have taken her to.

thanks again.

my other pig has a little runny nose & a crackling breathing if you have any advice to help her recover as she doesn't seem as affected

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sorry to hear about your pet op. :( I think you really really need to find a vet that you can bring your other one too or the same thing could happen. Even if the gunieapig is not as sick now and fully recovers, chances are you will still need a vet at some stage.

I'm sorry if it seems harsh and I know you are upset having lost your pet but as a responsible owner, you have a duty to find a vet to treat your remaining guineapig.

• Advertisement
Advertisement