Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nestbuilding already

• 31-01-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

The birds seem to be gathering twigs and stuff already.Isn't it a bit early??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

With the weather as odd as two left socks who knows when it's early anymore. Don't know about the little birds but seen plenty of greycrows and magpies fighting over territory like cats and dogs lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Nope, my wretched feral pigeons have been hard at it right through the snowy weather! I am buying one of these soon. Climate dictates the nesting habits of most 'normal' birds unlike the feral varieties! :)41lwWefLb4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Two blue tits checking out the box in our garden this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Blue Tits, and other species, will use nest boxes for shelter during harsh/cold weather. It is not an indication of nesting although boxes used in winter are more likely to be chosen when nesting begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Slightly OT, but I seem to have a resident robin family, either in my garden, or very close by. They've been coming to my garden for years. Would they be put off coming if I got a nest box put up? I know birds can be territorial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Saw a blue tit checking out a box today.

Happy Days !!!

Time for the roosting great tit to make like a shepherd...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Everett

Ive noticed this alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Nope, my wretched feral pigeons have been hard at it right through the snowy weather! I am buying one of these soon. Climate dictates the nesting habits of most 'normal' birds unlike the feral varieties! :)41lwWefLb4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Feral and woodpigeon can breed all year round though.

Advertisement