Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H-2B Work Visa - Ireland now an approved country

Options
  • 31-01-2010 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi All

On Monday the 25th January 2010 Ireland was added to the list of approved countries for the H-2B temporay work visa again. Just wanting to hear from people and there experience of using this visa or from people who are going to use it this year to enter and work in the US.

I'm trying to find routes to employers who are know for employing people under this visa. A shot in the dark tread.

I'm also curious to find out if many Irish are actually aware of this visa? In 2008 only 75 Irish nationals actually used this visa for work compared to 70000 Mexicans, 1500 Australians and 1300 people from the UK. I would have taught it would have been very popular with the Irish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Hi All

On Monday the 25th January 2010 Ireland was added to the list of approved countries for the H-2B temporay work visa again. Just wanting to hear from people and there experience of using this visa or from people who are going to use it this year to enter and work in the US.

I'm trying to find routes to employers who are know for employing people under this visa. A shot in the dark tread.

I'm also curious to find out if many Irish are actually aware of this visa? In 2008 only 75 Irish nationals actually used this visa for work compared to 70000 Mexicans, 1500 Australians and 1300 people from the UK. I would have taught it would have been very popular with the Irish.

Interesting..hadn't heard this announced - what does it actually mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Hi All

Maybe no one has ever heard of it!! I certainly have not - please do elaborate on what exactly this is???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

http://faq.visapro.com/H2B-Visa-FAQ.asp

All the necessary info here on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Artfully Dodgin

guessing not many people have come across it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

No, I've never heard of it. Its more aimed for people in a job in Ireland through an American company? That's pretty handy, a lot of US companies are starting to set up shop in Ireland, good get a lot of applications!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

lil_lisa wrote: »
    No, I've never heard of it. Its more aimed for people in a job in Ireland through an American company? That's pretty handy, a lot of US companies are starting to set up shop in Ireland, good get a lot of applications!

Nope its aimed at short term work i.e once off job in the US. The Max term is 1 year but can be extended for up to 3 years. It allows companies to use Foreign nationals in a once off deal. But the company still has to prove there isnt an American better suited for the role etc etc. Its very complicated to be honest but give that link a good read and you will get the gist of it.

I just started the process with one of my buddies companies in the US. I will let you know how it pans out for me.

Oh ok so its more for non-students looking for a short chance to work in the states? Would it be more difficult to get a contract job like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jula81

I have been on this programme and can really recommend it.I went to VT in 04/05 and had an absolute ball.
    USIT AND SAYIT used to organise from this end but not anymore as far as I know.Programme is open to 18-35 yrs
    As far as I know alliance abroad and inter exchange can help with the organisation of jobs and petitions etc.
    Alliance abroad messed up on my extension though and I had to come home so I would not use them again.
    You can go out for an initial 3-12 months and then apply to extend.
    Jobs are in major resorts and various states like Vermont, NY, Florida, Maine,Washington,Utah.
    It will take at least 3 months to get organised mabye longer.They usually go in two seasons winter and summer.
    If you need to know anymore let me know!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

do you have to have a job lined up before you enter or before you apply for this visa?

Yes, it is unlike the J1 -you have to be sponsored for your stay in the country by one employer.
    You may only work in the job for which you were hired. The visa allows you to work only for the employer on your visa documentation. It is illegal to work for another employer. You may be eligible to extend your visa with a new employer, but you cannot work two jobs simultaneously.
    So yes the job must be arraged and documented on your visa before you leave Ireland!

• Advertisement

Hi Jual81
    Thanks for responding to this my tread. I'm amazed at how few people seem to be aware of this visa. What company sponsored you while your were there? I am aware of the the websites you mentioned but the jobs on it are pretty poor.

How much did Sayit and Usit charge for their services and did you find them any good?

And what made you come back to Ireland?!

Killington Resort sponsored me.I got this through USIT but again, I didn't find their services to be that great.It took ages to get a list of jobs and by that time they had been picked over.They had organised that you could only book flights through them and they were quite expensive.I think it was a 500 euro programme fee plus $100 embassy 200 euro on insurance plus flights but things may have changed since then.
    It takes at least 4 months so its probably too late for summer season but it means you would have your pick for winter jobs.
    Major Ski resorts like Killington,Snowbird,Sierra at Tahoe, Steamboat.Snowmass etc all take on H2B workers.In summer its usually Large hotels and theme parks like the Ritz Carlton or six flags .

jula81 wrote: »
    Killington Resort sponsored me.I got this through USIT but again, I didn't find their services to be that great.It took ages to get a list of jobs and by that time they had been picked over.They had organised that you could only book flights through them and they were quite expensive.I think it was a 500 euro programme fee plus $100 embassy 200 euro on insurance plus flights but things may have changed since then.
    It takes at least 4 months so its probably too late for summer season but it means you would have your pick for winter jobs.
    Major Ski resorts like Killington,Snowbird,Sierra at Tahoe, Steamboat.Snowmass etc all take on H2B workers.In summer its usually Large hotels and theme parks like the Ritz Carlton or six flags .

Hi Jula81

Do you know where i could look to get a list of jobs? Maybe contact usit?

http://www.usit.ie/travel/workabroad_north_america.html

I dont see the H2B programme on USIT's website- they have the canadian programme - this is totally different in that you can arrive in canada and look for work or pre arrange a job before you leave.
    I would register with interexchange or just look at various resorts.These jobs will be seasonal so may vary .do you know what type of employment you want?

An I.T job preferably,i will have a look thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Di H2B Visa

The H-2B Visa is a temporary seasonal work visa that enables foreign nationals to work in the US for several months at a time. InterExchange (where I work for the H-2B program) is a non-profit organization that assists participants both in the US looking for an H-2B extension, as well as those seeking to come to the US for the first time. Participants from only 39 countries are eligible for this visa, and Ireland recently made this list as of January of this year so it is no wonder that there are relatively few Irish participants. If any of you have questions regarding the H-2B Visa please feel free to visit our website for more information. http://www.interexchange.org/content/4/en/Temporary%20Seasonal%20Job%20Opportunities%20with%20H-2B%20Visa.html

Di - H-2B Visa Program

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Hey guys,

I'm really loving the sounds of this visa. I have a couple of questions though:

What are the main states that placements/jobs become available in? Is there a degree of flexibility as regards the applicant choosing job destination or is it mainly up to the agency to decide where international employees are sent to e.g. InterExchange.

I will be travelling with my boyfriend, so will obviously want to travel to work in the same state as him. Not necessarily in the same organisation, but it woud be pretty important that we would be living in the same town/city. Is it possible for this to be arranged?

Thanks a million for any feedback you can provide :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Di H2B Visa

Through the H-2B Visa, participants can typically choose what job they would like to go to out of the positions offered to them. Interexchange works with different employers each season and so the positions offered are limited to the employers that we work with (usually about 10 different ones each season). Once you are included on a petition however, you are only legally allowed to work for the employer who sponsored your visa for that season. In the past, participants have applied with their friends and family and been placed in the same location.

Through the H-2B Visa, participants can typically choose what job they would like to go to out of the positions offered to them. Interexchange works with different employers each season and so the positions offered are limited to the employers that we work with (usually about 10 different ones each season). Once you are included on a petition however, you are only legally allowed to work for the employer who sponsored your visa for that season. In the past, participants have applied with their friends and family and been placed in the same location.

What month is the typical recruitment month for the winter season? What are the chances of me getting a job successfully on this visa?

Thanks.

So did anybody apply for any jobs or are you making plans for a later date?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

The H-2B Visa is a temporary seasonal work visa that enables foreign nationals to work in the US for several months at a time. InterExchange (where I work for the H-2B program) is a non-profit organization that assists participants both in the US looking for an H-2B extension, as well as those seeking to come to the US for the first time. Participants from only 39 countries are eligible for this visa, and Ireland recently made this list as of January of this year so it is no wonder that there are relatively few Irish participants. If any of you have questions regarding the H-2B Visa please feel free to visit our website for more information. http://www.interexchange.org/content/4/en/Temporary%20Seasonal%20Job%20Opportunities%20with%20H-2B%20Visa.html

Di - H-2B Visa Program

That website looks very good.... I'd really love to work in the US again but don't know how to go about finding a company to pre-plan the year long J-intern visa (I graduated 2 years ago so can't apply for the pilot one)

You have to be within a year of graduating to apply for the intern visa too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

lil_lisa wrote: »
    You have to be within a year of graduating to apply for the intern visa too!

I'm almost certain that with the old 18 months internship visa, you don't need to have graduated within the past year, you just need to have a job organised before you come over.

Well there's a twelve month internship visa (strictly no longer than 12) and a 18 month training visa. With the training visa you are required to have a certain amount of work experience and the internship visa you must be within 12 months of graduating!

Just received an email from Interexchange:

"Effective June 2010, InterExchange has decided to discontinue our H-2B Visa Program after six great years.

We fully appreciate your support throughout the program. For more information about the H-2B Visa, please visit our H-2B Participant Resource Center."

That's the end of that idea then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mememealways

Karbolt wrote: »
    Just received an email from Interexchange:

"Effective June 2010, InterExchange has decided to discontinue our H-2B Visa Program after six great years.

We fully appreciate your support throughout the program. For more information about the H-2B Visa, please visit our H-2B Participant Resource Center."

That's the end of that idea then :(

Is it just the company that are discontinuing the programme, can you still apply for it thru another company??

PLEASE SAY YES!!!!!

Is it just the company that are discontinuing the programme, can you still apply for it thru another company??

PLEASE SAY YES!!!!!

I think it's just the company, but tbh if they're discontinuing this programme there must be strong reasons behind doing so i.e. a severe shortage of H2B jobs available to foreign workers. Doesn't look too positive to me in any case...

Advertisement