Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who owned this pony ?

Options
  • 31-01-2010 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hello

i have a 14hh flea bitten grey pony.
    she is between 12 - 15 maybe not sure.
    she came from drumshambo mart 2007 for i think euro - 770.
    she is a Connemara type.
    was wearing a purple halter.
    broken & riding but has a cough when cantered.
    she is very sweet but we would like to know her history.

im not interested in bothering her old owner just would like some info.

i can give the date she was bought if you think you may have owned her but it will take a while for me to dig through some old receipts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Did you find her? or is she a rescue or something?

I would assume the previous owner would have better information no?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

sunpearl wrote: »
    hello

i have a 14hh flea bitten grey pony.
    she is between 12 - 15 maybe not sure.
    she came from drumshambo mart 2007 for i think euro - 770.
    she is a Connemara type.
    was wearing a purple halter.
    broken & riding but has a cough when cantered.
    she is very sweet but we would like to know her history.

im not interested in bothering her old owner just would like some info.

i can give the date she was bought if you think you may have owned her but it will take a while for me to dig through some old receipts.

Did she not have a passport with her when you bought/rehomed her?* That may contain some info as to her breeder or past owners.

*All horses which are bought/sold now have to have passports/papers. I know it came into law a while back, but can't remember off the top of my head if it would have been in force in 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think convert it was July 2009 but it is not widely enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Maybe the equestrian section would be another place to ask? But without MC or vacc papers I wouldn't hold my breath, Connemara type ponies are a dime as dozen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sunpearl

hi

NO she has no passport & even NOW ponies are sold at mart without one.
    she has NO vacc card or any info on her.

i bought her as a 7y.o broken & riding but she is much older then that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

So why don't you want to contact the previous owner? Surely they could shed some light on information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

OP I have to agree with the other posters.
    She's a grey Connemara type pony- every riding school I've ever been to has had about 10 ponies fitting this description- I cannot see why you won't contact the previous owner or better still ensure a pony has all their paperwork before purchase. She could have had any sort of problems in the past and you wouldn't know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

Yep, agree with the others!I just dont understand how we're even meant to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If she has a cough when cantering I would recommend that you get the vet to check her out as she could have some serious problems with either her wind, could be something like broken wind, or have allergies to feed and/or bedding.

As the others have mentioned, the chances of finding all the pony's previous owners is slim to none. The best chance you would have had is if she had papers when you bought her, but if she has no papers, then I doubt you'll have any luck.

It just goes to show why it's so important for somebody buying a pony to make sure not only that the pony/horse has papers, but that they're actually the correct papers for the animal in question. Microchips and checking markings, teeth, etc. are just some of the ways that you can do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sunpearl

hi

sorry probably didnt make myself clear before -

1 - i CANT contact her previous owner as she was sold through the mart in drumshambo & the mart wont release the seller info.

2 - im looking for the previous owner anyone who may have sold this pony through drumshambo mart

3 - she has NO paperwork at all.

4 - her cough is permanent & maybe the previous owner remembers selling a connemara type with a cough 14hh through drumshambo mart.

thanks for the reply's

• Advertisement

Sorry but I think it is pointless. She was sold 3 years ago, there are countless ponies of her description in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If she has no paperwork and you dont know who the seller was then you have prob no chance of finding who her owners were.
    And id say if they did sell her through a mart with no paperwork and with a cough they more than likely wont want to be found either.

Have you had her vetted or scoped for this cough?

OP I would take it as a lesson learned, not to buy a pony from a mart without any papers or identification, unless you are happy to accept the risk that comes with it. I understand that many many people buy from marts and there are gems to be had if you are lucky but there is always the risk that the ponies may not be as healthy/vice-free/good natured/etc etc as they seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

You could maybe ask if the mart will pass a message to the owners and then leave it up to them to contact you if they wish?

Advertisement